Author Topic: (Not so) Cheap insurance online  (Read 3127 times)

plongy

(Not so) Cheap insurance online
« on: April 21, 2009, 20:18:13 »
Had a lovely conversation today with some arsehole of a woman at Bell direct insurance. Having taken out insurance with them on the Strom last month, I called them to cancel another policy on the Triumph which I sold last week. This policy was due to run until June so according to their t&c's there was no refund to be had. So I deemed it courteous just to tell them to cancel the policy. This old dragon lady tells me they want £30 to cancel it! I put the view I was not prepared to pay them extra to stop them providing something I had paid in full for and she tells me they will "persue" me for it! Apparently it's my fault for not explaining I would be cancelling this policy soon when I took out the strom policy, if I had told them, they woldnt have wanted a cancellation charge, but now it's too late. This old shrew was clearly enjoying herself siting the old "it's company policy" routine. When I told her if that was their position, they could cancel both, she happily informed me that was my perogative. Net result, I am spending half an hour revisiting quotes for a new policy and I will happily pay £30 to tell them to shove the strom policy where the sun don't reach. Whatever happened to good old customer service?
So, as an embryonic strommers survey, my advice is avoid Bell direct, price ain't everything. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Offline Catballou

Re: (Not so) Cheap insurance online
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 20:24:57 »
Well why cancel the policy then ? surely it'll save you £30.00 to keep it running
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

plongy

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 20:33:31 »
Quote from: "Catballou"
Well why cancel the policy then ? surely it'll save you £30.00 to keep it running

Do you mean on the strom one? well I am a stubborn old fkr and I am totally pee'd of with the fact that they apparently have the right to persue me for payment to cancel a nearly expired policy on the trumpet. Apparently it's illegal to leave it to run it's course if I don't own it anymore. I will get a chunk of refund back on the strom policy, just don't want to give them my business anymore. I realise I am cutting of the old conk to spite the mug but I am furkin annoyed.

Offline Piglumps

• Bike: None at this point
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 20:38:36 »
Is it too late to say that you 'forgot' to cancel?

Bell noted as one to avoid - thanks.
No bike at present.......

Offline Dillmiester

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 20:40:31 »
Good on you!
I'm sure her management would be interested to know that she is alienating business, maybe you should let them know.
I've found Performance Direct to be very flexable recently even when I get cheeky and knock the price down (never take the first offer). They have waved cancellation costs etc on old policys just to keep me with them for my new bike!

Offline Catballou

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 20:42:59 »
Quote from: "plongy"
Quote from: "Catballou"

Do you mean on the strom one? well I am a stubborn old fkr and I am totally pee'd of with the fact that they apparently have the right to persue me for payment to cancel a nearly expired policy on the trumpet. Apparently it's illegal to leave it to run it's course if I don't own it anymore. I will get a chunk of refund back on the strom policy, just don't want to give them my business anymore. I realise I am cutting of the old conk to spite the mug but I am furkin annoyed.

Why is it illegal ?  

I too am a stubborn git , I would cancel the strom policy and leave the other, claim ignorance

and post everywhere that they are a bunch of sad money grabbing tossers  :grin:
Life isn't about waiting for the strom to pass.... it's about learning to dance in the rain

Offline markgsx

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 21:44:56 »
Had the same issue with Swintons recently. Paid for it three weeks before it was due, when docs arrived noticed cover was sufficient, rang em back and asked them to correct it and they wanted another 380 quid. Told them I wanted to cancel as I felt had been mis sold the policy to which the girl said they were keeping 50 quid of mine. If I wanted to complain it had to be done in wrting. Found a complaints number in paperwork and rang it AND wrote. End result I got my 50 quid back then obtained better cover at the same price with CIA.

Seems all brokers are making standard charges for adjustments/cancellations or even address changes. Basically got us over a barrel coz we have to have insurance.

Offline we11ington

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 22:28:31 »
I just used the MCN compare site and got a quote of about £150 quid for fully comp. Compared to over £200 with Swintons and £250 with carole nash.  It looks like a good policy and is underwritten by Royal sun alliance. excess is £200 quid and includes 45 days foreign travel. Incidentally Carole Nash rang me this evening to ask if I had got a better quote etc.. I told them the above and the bloke said "Nope can't get anywhere near that....!"

Offline Nix

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 18:13:32 »
Quote from: "we11ington"
Incidentally Carole Nash rang me this evening to ask if I had got a better quote etc.. I told them the above and the bloke said "Nope can't get anywhere near that....!"

Had similar experience with Carole Nash. Used them for years but, these days, just like other companies that become successful, they totally lose it and become just like everyone else. Sad.

If ever I have trouble with a minion, I always go higher up the ladder. Don't deal with some resentful old dragon, ask to speak to the manager or supervisor. You may be surprised with the results!  :thumb:
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!

Offline pad

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 20:18:44 »
I went through A quote, policy is with Norwich union. I wanted to stay with them after the sterling job they did after my accident. Every year they start with a certain price and phone me near renewal time and match whatever quote I have managed to find, bit of  a song and dance but always get a good price. I never understand how a quote from Norwich Union is much more expensive if I phone them direct :crazy:

Offline markgsx

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 20:48:48 »
I used A Quote last year. This year they wanted £953 tpft for my Strom this year. Got it for 240 fully comp with legal etc in the end from CIA. Because I drive a van for a living they count me as being in the motor trade so I get loaded a little. don't underastand the logic sometimes.

Offline vstromchips

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 08:42:13 »
Hi all, not been on for a while, but I have to tell you that last year I got my renewal from Carole Nash for the Strom 650 for £151 fully comp, checked on line with Carole Nash and it came out at £135, so I phoned them and they matched the on line price, their excuse for the difference is that on line you don't have to speak to anyone.

Renewals for this year start at £91 fully comp, but I will see what Carole Nash can do for me, as I have a mu;ti bike policy. Remember you only get to find out how good your insurance is when you have an accident.

Age has it's advantages.

Offline Nix

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 08:43:53 »
Quote from: "pad"
I went through A quote, policy is with Norwich union... I never understand how a quote from Norwich Union is much more expensive if I phone them direct :crazy:

Yup, that's who I'm using this year. £158 fully comp for my three bikes with the option of adding a fourth for free if it's value is under £1000! :thumb:

Last time I had Norwich Union, it was a riders policy where I could swap and change as many bikes as I wanted with none of this admin fee crap. The policy was also good for business use which was ideal as I was despatching in London at the time.

Whatever happened to common sense policies like that?  :shrug:
I'm NOT political so DON'T correct me!