Author Topic: Are standard exhaust stainless  (Read 2503 times)

Offline danatnw5

Are standard exhaust stainless
« on: May 14, 2012, 09:36:32 »
Hi currently riding a trophy 900 but looking at a mint 06 DL1000, are the standard exhusts stainless??? and are they worth leaving or upgrading.

What are the things to look when buying a DL

Cheers, Dan.

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
Re: Are standard exhaust stainless
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:46:11 »
I doubt they are stainless, but someone else might be able to confirm that. They are heavy as hell though and upgrades offer a significant weight saving. As they are that high up you'll really notice the difference with aftermarket cans on, the bike will be less top heavy. IMHO, one of the best upgrades you can do to a 1000 is replacing the exhausts.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:41:51 »
No, they aren't stainless...just an aluminium outer shell over mild steel. They don't seem to corrode easily however, and most 2002 bikes are still on their originals so rot isn't a problem. that's probably due to their  thick walled construction as they are damned heavy.

Things to look out for on a DL? not a lot, they don't tend to go wrong. Most checks are standard stuff like corrosion on the engine cases etc caused by neglect/infrequent washing and winter use. Same sort of thing you'd check on any bike.

Some folk go on about vibration, but the '06 bikes should be fine as Suzuki modified the clutch baskets after 2003-4. Certainly my '07 is not as smooth as my Trophy 12 was, but then, as a v-twin I didn't expect it to be. The only other criticism is the screen, which, like a lot of bikes, is pants from new. Most owners fit a madstad bracket to alter the angle of the screen or fit something like an MRA screen to change the airflow.

Best thing to do? Take it for a test ride and enjoy it.

Offline greywolf

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 16:10:11 »
The pipes are stainless and the m u f f l e r internals are aluminum. There are different grades of SS and that used in the exhaust, axles and brake discs will discolor from light oxidation but it's only on the surface. Just don't use steel wool or a steel wire brush on those surfaces. Tiny bits of steel can transfer and promote real rust.

From http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20L ... x#Features

The V-Strom 650 ABS has a high-mounted stainless steel exhaust system with aluminum m u f f l e r that is tuned to enhance engine torque and low-to-midrange performance.

Damn the Americanism filter. A m u f f l e r is a specific part of the exhaust. They are not synonyms. Maybe silencer would be appropriate but changing m u f f l e r to exhaust is inappropriate.
Pat- 2007 DL650A was ridden to all 48 contiguous states. 2012 DL650A outlasted me.
Nicknames I use to lessen typing, Vee = 2002-2012 (K2-L2) DL1000s. Veek=2014+ (L4+) DL1000s. Wee = 2004-2011 (K4-L1) DL650s. Glee = 2012+ (L2+) DL650s

Offline Abercol

• Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 11:21:21 »
that's strange - I have surface rust on my Vee exhausts under the aluminium, very light and no big deal, but that's what made me think the end cans were steel outers (no idea about the innerds apart from the CAT of course).

You are right , Greywolf, the headers/downpipes are stainless with the rear end can assembly being other materials...I should have made that clearer in my post.

Thanks
Colin.