Author Topic: Baffles for GPR exhaust  (Read 5137 times)

Offline DEF2001

• Bike: 2015 V-strom 1000
Baffles for GPR exhaust
« on: November 11, 2011, 20:38:43 »
Hi Have just brought a second hand GPR exhaust for my wee for £135 but it has only come with the DB killer and not the conical removable baffle. Is it worth getting the baffle or should I run it without both or with the DB killer in. I will be fitting it tomorrow but having looked at it I am not sure where the baffle would go ( it could be that it is fitted as there is a conical baffle that runs the whole length of the end can but this appears to be fixed ). Anyhow if anyone has a GPR exhaust and has any hints or tips it would be great. P.S. I will be following the fitting instruction on another post

Cheers H

Offline Dan J

Re: Baffles for GPR exhaust
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:24:27 »
The conical removeable baffle is a piece of cheap, thin, soft metal rolled into a cone that goes in the bottom of the silencer and is held in by the link pipe.  Most seem to have left it out when installing the exhaust myself included.  Mine sounds great with just the rear dB killer - not too loud but bassier and with a proper "twin" sound.  Frankly I wouldn't worry about it - you'll be delighted with the sound without it.

If you want to know what one looks like there's a pic in Dan Davis's website below (which also includes helpful fitting instructions - though note I don't think you have to have all the body work off to reroute the O2 sensor lead, I managed fine with a single side panel off and I wasn't the only one).

http://www.ddavis.co.uk/Daniels_website ... m_650.html

Offline DEF2001

• Bike: 2015 V-strom 1000
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 13:58:53 »
Cheers Dan

Have just fitted it following dan davies instructions (good work fella) and I have a couple of points I picked up.
1. On an 09 bike it was relatively straight forward to fit, the hardest part being taking the old exhaust off. I only had to remove the seat for my AK9 Wee to change the route of the O2 sensor which is a lot more simple than Dan Davies suggests (although on his 07 it must be different).

Anyone wanting to fit one of these give it a go following Dan Davies instructions it really is easy. Me a ham fisted DIY mechanic fitted in 2 hours (lots of tea breaks)

2. Even with the DB killer in it is still loud and I am wondering if it will get through the MOT without the conical baffle. I will probably run it with neither as I like it loud (I commute and I like people to hear me).

3. My God the old exhaust is Heavy. If anyone this thinking about getting one just do it as it makes a world of difference.

Offline Dan J

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 16:16:49 »
Glad you've got it sorted - just be thankful you haven't got an OEM belly pan!

3. My God the old exhaust is Heavy. If anyone this thinking about getting one just do it as it makes a world of difference.
It's a heavy bugger isn't it!  Bike definitely feels lighter with the GPR.

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 17:35:05 »
It will get through the MOT easily , they should only fail a exhaust if its stamped "Not For Road Use" or if its falling apart etc..

I run straight through cans on my KTM (very loud) , they don't even have the E mark and still gets passed ..

Offline Ubique

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 15:59:08 »
Exhaust sounds mint, Will have to see if they do one for the '11 plate wee!

Offline nelly

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 08:51:18 »
just fitted the gpr yesterday , following dans guide,
good job mate
all as dan said ,hardest bit was getting the crusty old system off,
just for future reference , I didn't have to re-route the lambda sensor wire really
just needed to drop it the other side of the frame bar
no fairings off or owt

btw mine is a 2007 gt wee
can't wait to try it
see you
why does every tv programme stop for crappy football

Offline glenwatt

• Bike: Tenere 700
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 20:15:31 »
Looking at a GPR system for my new Wee.

I have already searched and found a little info.

However could anyone enlighten me a bit further on the issues surrounding fitting the GPR system on an 11 year model bike with a centre stand, I understand there is no bracket to mount the rubber stop to prevent it hitting the bike.

Is it easy to rig up a Heath Robinson type fix or is it possible to just ride the bike as is with the GPR system and centre stand fitted?

Glen
Glen

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is an option !