Author Topic: RST Paragon 2 Jacket - Advjce  (Read 149 times)

Offline Berty5000

• Bike: DL650
RST Paragon 2 Jacket - Advjce
« on: April 12, 2024, 21:21:24 »
Alright lads,

I need to upgrade my jacket. I like RST stuff. I need an all rounder, all seasons jacket sufficiently heavy duty to deal with winter weather.

The Paragon 2 I tried today and thought it was good, just wondering if anybody knows how it compares to the Pathfinder? The latter is now discontinued but I have an option on one for a good price but haven't tried it on. I don't know how either would perform in the real world. Reviews are good for the Paragon but I can't find any on the Pathfinder weirdly.

Thoughts?

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
Re: RST Paragon 2 Jacket - Advjce
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2024, 23:21:51 »
I can't talk about the Paragon 2, but the Pathfinder is the best jacket I've ever bought. It's my go-to for everything not summer, and it's not leaked yet...... I hope I haven't jinxed it!

It has a full length thermal layer, the waterproofing is laminated in so you've only got the thermal layer loose on the inside, and plenty of pockets. I had to go up 2 sizes in mine though from my normal. It also joins with many other RST trousers so you don't need to get both the same.

I will say I've never used the thermal neck coat thing, but that's only because I have a massive neck and so once I've got a buff on, I can't do any of my jackets up at the neck.

Offline Berty5000

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2024, 23:32:22 »
Ah, I love this forum! First review I've seen anywhere about that jacket!

Thanks for the helpful feedback - you've just made my mind up. I noticed on the photos that it seems a more slim rather than bulky jacket. I am planning to go with the large as I am borderline medium/large.

Do you find it works well for warmth? Also, is it a longer jacket? I want something that covers my arse better than current one.

Ps. Those throat coats are actually really good. I had one on my first motorbike jacket - the RST Tundra II (now virtually extinct) and it made a big difference. I've missed having one with my current Alpha 5.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2024, 00:22:04 »
That's it! The throat coat. Yeah it's a long cut, and very very warm. Good adjustment on the arms and torso too. I bought mine to do my bike test as I hate being cold, I was anything but! It's a nice flexible jacket too, I've got another RST jacket and it's as rigid as anything (and only an A, versus the AA of the Pathfinder).

I keep my visor cleaning bag of bits in the map pocket and I normally have to remove it from under my backside on the seat, so yes definitely long!

My only complaint is that the armour pockets are a bit fiddly to get to, but realistically you don't take that out all that often.

I also posted about it here: https://v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=41912.msg431370#msg431370

Offline Berty5000

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2024, 00:43:14 »
Thanks mate, just ordered it this minute! £125 as they're clearing discontinued stock. I noticed the armour is all level 2, including the back, so pleased about that as well.

I should've done this upgrade a while ago as I've been through two winters sometimes being cold and getting wet.

I'm ordering the RST pathfinder boots as well. Not the cheapest ones they do but reviews very good, especially on water proofing. My current RST Tundras are 7 years old and were on my feet in an accident and "off" 6 years ago.

I like RST for that reason. All the gear saved me that day, plus the HJC helmet, and I came away with only a sore neck and a graze.

Thanks again.

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2024, 10:59:12 »
£125??  Bargain mate  :dance: