Author Topic: Loudest and legal cans??  (Read 6262 times)

Offline alex wight

Loudest and legal cans??
« on: April 11, 2014, 21:25:42 »
Hi blokes.

What is the loudest cans for the vstrom 1000, but stays within the legal boundaries. Its clear that there's people out there that can't see you, so letting them hear you may be an advantage. (I got knocked off last year), so looking to increase the decibels to help them see me??? (not that it will for some)

thank you in advance
alex

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
Re: Loudest and legal cans??
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 21:30:24 »
get some Quill of Golbourne.. mine on the DL650 sounded great and added 5 bhp////  some folk on here heard them

Offline stibbs

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 21:31:41 »
:shrug:
What's wrong with standard exhaust :shrug:

Offline alex wight

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 21:38:48 »
just had a wee look at quill, but they only do up to 2006, mine is 2008?

standard cans are OK, but just wanted a bit more volume with a bigger punch?

Offline Tusker

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 21:43:26 »
Quote from: "alex wight"

nah mate,, that's just the non updated website .. they did mine 2 years ago and that was a 2007

Offline alex wight

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 21:54:09 »
Quote from: "Tusker"
Quote from: "alex wight"

nah mate,, that's just the non updated website .. they did mine 2 years ago and that was a 2007

where would I get the correct info?

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 21:55:27 »
I wouldn't worry about the legality of adding louder silencers as long as they don't have "not for road use" stamped on them and there not ear drum bursting .
I personally have akrapovic silencers that give a nice sound but there are plenty or others out there that sound good as well .
Adding silencers may make your bike run leaner and may cause running issues so you may need to bear that in mind ..
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Tusker

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 21:58:13 »
ring them... they are excellant.. I had a can grafted onto the DL650 amd had a replica 4 2 2 evhaust made for my XS 1100 1983    absolutely fantastic craftmanship... old school

Offline alex wight

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 22:04:24 »
Quote from: "kwackboy"
I wouldn't worry about the legality of adding louder silencers as long as they don't have "not for road use" stamped on them and there not ear drum bursting .
I personally have akrapovic silencers that give a nice sound but there are plenty or others out there that sound good as well .
Adding silencers may make your bike run leaner and may cause running issues so you may need to bear that in mind ..

thank you

Offline alex wight

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 22:04:45 »
Quote from: "Tusker"
ring them... they are excellant.. I had a can grafted onto the DL650 amd had a replica 4 2 2 evhaust made for my XS 1100 1983    absolutely fantastic craftmanship... old school

thank you will do.

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 22:37:42 »
I've got MTC can's on my 06 bike and with the baffles out they are very loud but still pass the MOT without issue, as already stated, as long as they aren't stamped there aren't many testers that will have an issue. How ever be careful with the very loud pipes, I used to have a 100 mile daily commute and on my Bandit it was very tiring after a while, even wearing earplugs didn't help a lot. Louder is good but deafening is tiring!

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 00:16:50 »
All years 02-09 (years registered) will take the same exhausts when it comes to the 1000cc bike.

I have a beowulf on my 650 and its a straight through if I take out the standard baffle and vew loud. With the baffle its not much quieter. So I bought a quiet baffle for 2up ridding so we can communicate on a run.
The mrs does like the sound without the baffle but its just too loud to talk.

Ride Coordinator

Offline alex wight

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 09:52:55 »
thanks for the comments blokes. certainly don't want it to ruin the enjoyment of riding the bike. will bear everything in mind when going for a new set up.

alex

Hilldweller

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 13:01:37 »
Quote from: "kwackboy"
I wouldn't worry about the legality of adding louder silencers.

I do.

If we upset the natives they just fight back. We've all seen the stories of the cops pulling bikes just to examine the can. I can do without that.

"Children should be seen and not heard" so should bikers.

A loud can is not a safety aid to bikers, might help peds, but the SMIDNSY is not going to hear a loud can until it's too late.

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 16:28:42 »
Quote from: "Hilldweller"
but the SMIDNSY is not going to hear a loud can until it's too late.

I can vouch for this, knocked a kid off a BMX once when I had a VTR Firestorm with Race Cans, it was outrageously, car alarm settingly off loud but he still failed to here me or see me coming and rode out in front, luckily I was only going slow and almost managed to stop, he was shaken up but we were all okay.

I get loud cans as I like the sound, I don't try and justify it as a safety feature.
Biker & Cyclist...

Hilldweller

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 18:10:31 »
Quote from: "Sharpy"
Quote from: "Hilldweller"
but the SMIDNSY is not going to hear a loud can until it's too late.
I get loud cans as I like the sound, I don't try and justify it as a safety feature.

I love the sound, was a real noisy anti-social ( though they hadn't invented the term ) twat as a kid, but now an olde farte I worry about all the moaners that I laughed at as a kid.

50 years ago a few moaning old gits was just that. Now it gets in the papers and useless politician types grab it with open arms as vote winners.

Same applies to speed limits, I deliberately slow where it will win brownie points for bikers, like the lady on the horse the other day, her husband could be the local MP but gladly stick up two fingers where I'm pretty sure I can get away with it. Even a Wee can earn you porridge, just, with the right wind behind you.

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2014, 20:00:47 »
Don't forget when looking for cans for a DL1000 to search for KLV1000 too, my MTC's were listed for KLV1000 and had no bids and were a bargain  :)

Offline macvisual

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 20:43:01 »
Alex;

I've a set of carbon fibre oval Akrapovic cans on my 2008 model DL1000, they come with removable baffles, when the baffles are out it's very loud indeed, class ripping sound. But I'd rather ride with the baffles in as it's a bit too much, but nice removed now and again  :grin:

Regards;
Pete
K8 DL1000GT - K&N filter - Hel brake line - lowered front forks - Osram brighter/whiter bulbs - TRE module - 43 tooth Renthal rear sprocket

Offline bat-kam

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2014, 20:53:49 »
I have a GPR system on my wee. http://www.gpr-motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/c/407/V-STROM-1000.html

When I ride without the buffle it makes windows shake :)
Suzuki all the way: '98 Bandit > '99 GSX600F > '09 V Strom DL650 > '09 SV650S > '10 V Strom DL650 > '04 GSX-R 600

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2014, 21:34:49 »
I have a pair of Quill race cans on mine. They have a "not for road use use" or something equally daft on them which has been thoughtfully put in such a place that it can only be seen whilst laying on your back and under the bike, and of course after having given them a thorough clean first. They are delightfully noisy, even with some dB killers in and can be relied on scare old people (even older than me) and make small children cry. I've always liked a bit of noise and have always felt it makes cage drivers more likely to be aware that I am nearby. I'm also convinced it wakes them up sometimes.