Author Topic: Canbus battery charging  (Read 738 times)

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
Canbus battery charging
« on: December 02, 2021, 20:25:18 »
This extract from the Oxford site.
Question 
Are your battery chargers OK to use on a motorcycle that has a canbus system?
Answer 
Regarding all our battery chargers, if you use the fitting kit we provide (the ring lead attachment) then it does not matter what system the motorcycle uses for electronics, our chargers will work fine as they connect directly to the battery. The systems on the motorcycle (e.g Canbus) only have any effect if you use their sockets and not the ones we provide.
The Oximiser 600/601 models should work fine with canbus systems as they provide a constant trickle charge current through the accessory/power socket.

The KTM is Canbus and has an accessory socket in the cockpit and really luckily I have an old Oximiser 600 as well as a smart charger so in theory no probs.
But out of interest could someone please explain the technical reasons behind the do's and don'ts of using chargers on canbus systems.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
Re: Canbus battery charging
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2021, 20:44:57 »
Trying not to hijack this thread but ...  I have heard KTMs must not have their batteries disconected as loss of all power means the ECU needs to be set up? (whatever that means)
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2021, 21:03:46 »
Maybe if there are diodes in the canbus wiring the "reverse flow" of electrickery would upset them?
And I've had my battery off without issue except the need to reset the service interval.
Optimate sae type lead on battery terminals gets my vote. Handy for air pump, usb charger etc. also.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2021, 22:22:59 »
Further to my drivel above I have read, with more purpose, the 390's handbook which says to remove the battery if the bike is to be stored for a prolonged period and then charge the battery. Also says disconect the negative lead when charging on the bike so as to not cause damage to other electrical eqipment. In short I have been mislead and it is alright to disconnect the battery for an extended period. However this advice is for my 390 and may not apply to the big posh ones.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.