Author Topic: Trying to identify pipes  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Phatwheels

• Bike: DL1000 K8
Trying to identify pipes
« on: July 24, 2020, 06:34:20 »
Hi,

Trying to identify what pipes I have and possible solutions to make them a bit quieter without going back to stock.

No branding on the pipes themselves. Only thing I have to go off is an old receipt which came with the bike - it's from BanditMania, and detailed as 'TEN 91V OVAL STAINLESS SINGLE OUT Suzuki'. x2 £220.

Any ideas on brand and how to make it quieter!? Looks like it has baffles in already... Starting a new job next week which'll require me leaving at 4:30am, not sure all the neighbours want to start their day so early!

Seems BanditMania is now permanently closed.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Trying to identify pipes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 08:50:14 »
 :text-worthless:
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Phatwheels

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 09:09:49 »
Image attached. Like I say though, nothing that would give away what they are...

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 09:56:28 »
They look like beowulf but I may be wrong.

Measure the inside diameter of the outlet without the baffles and have a look online for that measurement DB killer (quiet) angled.

I've been looking for one, but mine are 58mm and not that common. Those that are around are the same as I have or expensive.
But I like the growl, so not much of an issue just wanted quieter ones for touring.

Ride Coordinator

Online TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 12:01:27 »
My money would be that they will need re-packing. I tried fibre-glass, it only lasted a couple of months before it was destroyed. I used http://www.textiletechnologies.co.uk/acousta-filr-zt1-exhaust-silencer-packing.html search for best prices.

There are loads of videos on youtube if you start to struggle.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 17:48:22 »
Have a look on Fuel's YouTube.... Today's video is about repackaging a can. Fuel sell the glass wool etc, too.

Offline Phatwheels

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 07:45:10 »
Brilliant I'll try repacking it, failing that I'll settle for a dB killer.

Will the dB killer cause any unwanted back pressure in the system that I'd need to address?

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 09:07:49 »
The stock systems will create far more back pressure than any aftermarket exhaust will create.
The lack of back pressure is the main reason a remap or dyno run sorts out fueling issues when you fit aftermarket exhausts.

BUT you have DB killers fitted. You need the quiet ones. Remove the DB killer to check it's not the quiet version already.

Standard DB killers usually are straight through, but smaller diameter than the main outlet.
Quiet DB killers are either capped off with slashes or holes on the sides or they have a mesh section on the inner end.
This is meant to reduce and disrupt the gas flow reducing the sound and deepness of the tone.

Pop one out and post a picture if your not sure which type you have.

If you have the quiet ones and want it quieter, stock exhaust is the only way to go then.

Ride Coordinator