Author Topic: Modifications - what next?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Pete O Tube

• Bike: DL1000AL8, Triumph 765 Street Triple R, Sym MaxSym 600i
Modifications - what next?
« on: September 29, 2019, 11:55:54 »
Having completed a couple of hundred miles since re-commissioning an 18K mile DL1000K7 GT, those miles have shown up a couple of areas that require attention, what's those that know's suggestions for:-

Front brakes - despite cleaning the pistons (they were pretty clean and corrosion free anyway) there's not much in the way of stopping power, are there any suggested replacement calipers?

Throttle plates/butterflies - after doing the valve clearances I'll balance the throttle bodies this week, while I'm at it, should I remove the secondary plates?

Lean running - between 2500-3000rpm(ish) there's some hesitancy/surging at around those revs that makes 30 & 40mph a pain or any speed in that rev range. It's probably made worse by the K&N filter fitted by the previous owner.
I'm not that far from RJS Superbikes at Mallory Park, I've read on here that they've sorted the fuelling on a few V-Stroms but can their Yosh box also change the ignition advance for all gears so I don't have to fit a TRE?
If I do fit a TRE, which one? - the previous owner had one that he'd never fitted, I tried it but it must've been faulty as it caused a chronic misfire.

Gearing - it's on standard at present, which is way too high, I'd like to leave the gearbox sprocket at 17T but go up two or three teeth on the rear, is that enough?

Tyres - I'm quite impressed with the five year old Metzeler Tourances but the rear is squared off and has 2mm left - I'm favouring road tyres rather than 'adventure' tyres such as Michelin Road 5 or maybe Avon Storm 3DX-M, anyone any experience of the Avons?

Offline blobstrom

Re: Modifications - what next?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 12:54:13 »
Just put avons storms x m on my 650, brief ride yesterday ,bike seems to glide nicely, tips into corners with minimal effort, running in and damp roads but I had loads of confidence in them... I have them on my gtr too, great tyre great price 154 from m and p s.

Offline pichulec

• Bike: KTM 1290 SAS
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 14:15:19 »
Michelin Road 5 Trail is the tyre you want.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 20:06:55 »
As far as I'm aware the secondary plates or butterflies are motor controlled by the bikes's ECU and restrict the air flow at high r.p.m. effectively speed limiting the bike. Some people do remove them if them want more top end, but unless the top end fuelling is adjusted to make use of this extra air flow there probably won't be much benefit and the possibility of making the mixture too weak and could cause engine damage. So if you do remove them it would be wise to get the fuelling reset to accommodate them. If a Yoshi box allows sufficient adjustment I don't know but a Power Commander probably would, but would still need setting up on a rolling road dyno. You can still get TREs for you bike on Fleabay. The bike certainly shouldn't misfire when one is fitted.

Offline macvisual

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 19:43:36 »
For the past 8/9yrs I've added 2-teeth extra on the rear sprocket on my K8 DL1000, wOOw such an improved/better difference..!!

I will never return to the standard gearing ever again..!!

Hope this helps.

Peter
K8 DL1000GT - K&N filter - Hel brake line - lowered front forks - Osram brighter/whiter bulbs - TRE module - 43 tooth Renthal rear sprocket

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 09:24:44 »
Me too. Well worth doing. Plus two teeth is just right.

Offline Pete O Tube

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 13:50:52 »
The previous owner included a brand new set of chain & sprockets with 16T gearbox and 43T rear - (the ones that are on are near enough new) I'll fit the 43T rear sprocket when new tyres go in in a month or so.

Also fitted a new (different), but not tested yet, TRE - hopefully no misfire with this one.

TRE fitted as apparently you can't alter the ignition timing with a Yoshi box.

I'll discuss the throttle butterflies with RJS Superbikes.

The brakes - looking at different calipers (asked someone about some SV1000 calipers) but may just fit braided lines and new pads over winter.

Other than that I'm quite impressed by the big old bus.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 14:53:26 »
I used to own K6 1000,  I fitted a power commander then had a custom map made up on a Dyno.
I removed the secondary butterflies before I had it set up and even though it made nearly 100bhp at the back wheel if I'm honest it wasn't worth removing them.
There is a reason they are fitted and going beyond the bikes restricted limit isn't beneficial as the Vees are not made to go that fast.
Even though I had a fork brace , good suspension and good road tyres, it was a we'll set up bike but once you got above 110mph the bike was all over the place, the aerodynamics are not designed for high speed. 

My advice is to have it set up for a smooth ride and enjoy the torque of the V-Twin.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Pete O Tube

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 16:18:16 »
kwackboy - I'll take your advice re. the butterflies and I know what you mean regarding 100mph+.

A Cosmo fork brace is on my list (preferably before Brexit and getting landed with import duty and customs delay).

I was going to look at new fork springs and emulators over winter as an excuse to refresh the fork oil, which I suspect is original.

Offline Pete O Tube

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 10:33:19 »
Pair of Metzeler Tourance ordered from M&P for £139.99 so that'll be an early opportunity to change the back sprocket to 43T.