Author Topic: Front wheel removal  (Read 266 times)

Offline Aberdeen lad

• Bike: DL650XT L6
Front wheel removal
« on: April 10, 2024, 18:27:16 »
Hello lads I’ve bought a new tyre for the front of mine 2016 650 vstrom although I do have a assortment of tools, I don’t have the hex bit to remove front axle anymore know what size it is? So I can go and pick one up.
Thanks 🙏🏻

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: Front wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 18:38:16 »
On my ,22 650 it is a 12mm, I presume it will be the same.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 20:53:06 »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0001K9U2S

Got mine from Amazon of all places, needed it next day after I too found that I didn't have a hex key big enough.

Make sure to clean any crap out of it before you fit the hex socket in, it's a tight fit.

Offline Aberdeen lad

• Bike: DL650XT L6
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 22:34:31 »
Here’s another question I’ve just thought about…is it possible to take the front wheel off with only the centre stand? I do own a small trolley jack if that would help, I really need to get myself 1 or 2 paddock stands but I am a newbie at this game hence the dumb questions 😀

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 23:01:10 »
It's possible yes, you'll need to use the centre stand and then jack under the engine at the front using a wooden block to spread the load and lift the front wheel off the ground. I'd definitely get everything loosened at the front first though so you're not wrenching on bolts with the bike on the jack. It's most likely both calipers off to get the front wheel out. A stack of wooden blocks, axle stands etc under the fork legs once the wheel is out will stabilise the bike and negate the risk of the trolley jack sinking whilst the wheel is out. I did this first time on the Vee, felt a bit sketchy but worked fine. Have an ABBA stand now.
Good luck.

Offline Mojo-Jojo

• Bike: DL1000GT K6
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 23:01:32 »
Yes, front wheel can be removed whilst only on the centre stand, all the weight will pull the bike backwards onto the rear wheel.
You can add extra weight to the rear wheel or pillion seat, if you are concerned about the bike lurching forward onto the forks.
Alternatively, use your trolley jack to support the bike under the oil sump, or put the front wheel axle back in after removing the wheel and support the front of the bike there with the trolley jack or an axle stand.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 08:34:40 »
A word of advice, do remember to remove the ABS sensor before removing the wheel.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 13:51:05 »
If it doesn't feel rock steady when jacked up, it isn't. Be carful. It may help to have a friend to help.  :thumb:

If you are thinking of paddock stands for the future then I would guess that you can easily get by with just a front one because the back wheel can be removed easily with a centre stand, just remove the top box and panniers, I would tie the front down too, belt and braces.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 20:49:30 »
When I took mine off (and left it like that for a week), I had axle stands under each crash bar, and ratchet strap holding the centre stand forwards so it couldn't be pushed off it. Both calipers need to come off (use a small bungee over the top of the brace) and the ABS sensor. Watch the ABS sensor wire bracket bolt, it's a tiny 8mm and mine was stuck, it took a bit of elbow grease.