Author Topic: Thinking about getting another bike.  (Read 810 times)

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
Thinking about getting another bike.
« on: December 19, 2023, 07:18:52 »
I'm retired, 65 years old (in a few weeks) and pretty new to this touring malarkey.

In Jan 2020 (yes I know, great timing) I bought my VStrom 650 and it is perfect for all the UK and near Europe traveling I've been doing ever since.

However, there is talk, and a possible plan to go to Norway and also the Balcony Roads in France and I am considering adding some longer legs to the garage.

I was looking at the new VStrom 800 RE, but at least on paper, I can't really see how it would be a big improvement on my 650.

As a complete (much cheaper) alternative I recently found out that a mate is selling his 2006, 23k miles R1200GS. I've not looked at it yet, but it started a train of thought and I found myself looking at VStrom 1000's of a similar age, many of which have tiny miles, 15 to 18K miles vs the 44k miles I now have on the 650.

I know the two bikes are massively different, but any thought's regarding either would be welcomed.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
Re: Thinking about getting another bike.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 08:06:15 »
They're all great bikes to be honest, maybe try and get some test rides?
I'd say the 650 is perfect for the Norwegian roads, light and nimble and you probably don't want to get caught speeding there.

Offline NeilM

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2023, 13:04:41 »
I could easily arrange to ride the GS, one phone call would do it.

As far as taking the 650 to Norway; it is more the long haul to and from that I am thinking about, although a riding buddy REALLY wants to go to Nordkapp which is a fair old run on it's own, hence the idea of something a little bigger.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2023, 14:43:37 »
We're planning a trip to Norway in the next few years, haven't decided about Nordkapp yet.
I'll be taking the 650. It is a bit of a trip to get there but I'll plan the route to suit....I've no interest in sitting on motorways at 3 figure speeds to be honest and I plan on taking 3 or 4 weeks, retirement has its benefits.

Offline NeilM

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 15:33:19 »
That was similar to my original plan but my buddy still works, albeit for himself.  He has a 1250 GSA so Mway blasts are easy for him... not my cuppa at all but sometimes you have to compromise.

I'm not fussed about Nordkapp, my plan was to explore the West side of Norway, looks like we may well do both.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 15:41:37 »
Neil, you will buy some'at........you've got that urge, which is just fine and dandy.
I agree with you the 800 is too close to the 650. I've got a power chart somewhere and I'll post it if I can find it.
I put it somewhere safe  :grin:
A GS? Meh. A 1000/1050 STrom. Why not.
An older GS, do you like working on bikes?
Upt.
It won't let me post it, but it was on CycleWorld. I think the 800 was putting out just over 70 bhp at the back wheel.

Offline Upt North

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2023, 15:44:47 »
The 800 put out 6 bhp more on the same dyno than the 650.

Offline NeilM

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2023, 19:37:36 »
I watched a couple of YouTube video's of dyno tests. The 800 put out 72.2 BHP at the wheel the 650 was 67 BHP.

The spec weight of the 800 is 10 kg heavier that the 650 spec so..... marginal gains and all that.

I do all my own maintenance on the 650, including valve clearance checks and such, so working on an older bike is not an issue providing the electrics are sound... bike electrics can be a nightmare.

Like Crump, I don't yet know if / when the Norway trip will happen, so there's no rush, but I am surprised how many low mileage 1000's there are, and that prompts the question why?

I guess I won't know that until I ride one.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 19:59:46 »
If you are thinking of longer distances cruise control is an absolute MUST. If you've not had it before (on a bike) it is a revelation, if you've had it before then you'll probably not have a bike without it ever again. My last three bikes have had cruise control and it is a deal-breaker if it's not available. Shaft drive is also handy and saves a lot of faffing around and mess. The GS feels light as the weight is very low down and ticks the cruise control & shaft drive box nicely. If it doesn't have either walk away, quickly...
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Upt North

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2023, 08:53:22 »
2112, seems an odd thing to post on a VSTrom site.
Aren't all Stroms chain drive, hence most if not all here have no issues with chain drive. Don't forget BMW have just made their shaft drive replacement a service item.
My previous bike was shaft drive and they are not maintenance free, mine required 3 'O' rings to be replaced and expensive Moly lube required at every tyre change.
I agree that technological changes can and do improve aspects of riding, I can see cruise control would be one of those advances, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Other than on motorways and dual carriageways it would get little use on my day rides around The Borders and Lothians.
Like all tech it's great when it works and is repaired under warranty when it doesn't.
But motorcycling is a broad church and that's the way it should be.
To answer the question on low mileage bikes, it isn't just Stroms, check out the classifieds, lots of bikes literally just go to the mot and back each year. Don't worry about it, capitalise on it.
Upt.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2023, 10:00:20 »
I've had my 2014 vstrom 1000 from new, not mega miles on it at 43k but its been reliable. Only faults have been rear wheel bearings and rear shock got soft. Its economical, easy to work on and cheap to run ( though mine likes rear tyres but that's not the bikes fault!) Chains last 25k miles with or without a Scotoiler ( less work with one ).
 I had a new GS in 07, it broke down lots, cam chain tensioner in the first 500 miles, gearbox oil seal, shaft drive oil seal, fuel relay, shaft drive universal joint, all this was in one year and 7k miles. I did love the bike to ride but this was all to much for me. I then bought a KTM 990 and a Triumph tiger 1050 that also give me major problems so I stick to Japanese now.
  If I was buying a new bike tomorrow I'd be looking hard at the new 800re, they have fixed the dislikes I had with the DE, tubes,  weak brakes etc and it'll be fast enough to keep up with anything .
 PS  I should add my mate bought a new GS the same week as me back in 07 and it was reliable for the 75k miles he owned it, think I got a lemon ( it was yellow too! )

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2023, 11:02:08 »
If you're looking at first gen Vees then my 4 1/2yrs with one has told me the following.
I bought mine with 22k on it after several previous owners.

Pros;
It's been very reliable and incredibly comfortable (mesh seat cover was a revelation as the rear cylinder can poach your eggs in summer), racking up miles has not been an issue.
She has ventured off road although not into anything too rough, with 80/20 tyres she made it 2/3s of the way round the ABR trail and I'm a complete novice off road. I love the sound and the very minor vibes from the bigger twin and she can be ridden pretty lazily compared to the 650, less gear changes, more shove.
2 up is not an issue, I'm over 6ft and I pillioned my mate who is also over 6ft for 2 1/2hrs non stop and neither of us had any issues, although that was luggage off. It also has great headlights by the standards of the day but not the equal of modern LED units. Add kangaroo lights and you're golden. I'm told she handles pretty well for a big lass, a mate who has always ridden sports nakeds took her for a spin and was pleasently surprised.

Cons;
It's not as economical as the more modern versions and returns a pretty solid 42mpg on back roads blasts around the peaks. Get her on a big A-Road or the motorway and she will creep into the 50s but I avoid that type of riding where I can (22ltr tank means you won't hold your mates up with more fuel stops, they'll just cost more)
The factory luggage is not great, some would go as far as to say it's crap but I think it's 'OK' as long as it's treated with respect/kid gloves. I like side loading panniers though but many don't and they certainly aren't premium.
The side stand foot is tiny and sinks into soft ground very easily. If you have the centre stand then it's all but impossible to find an enlarger that will fit. I bought one and ground it down to make it work.

In the 14k I've done she's had the following but all are what I would consider normal for the age;
Wheel/sprocket carrier bearings (only 1 was bad but I did them all).
Head bearings (almost certainly never been greased and were destroyed, put taper rollers in anyway).
Chain and Sprockets.
Clutch pushrod oil seal (classic big Vee issue, easy fix when doing Chain and Sprockets).

Valve clearances are easy, I'd never done a bike before and had no issues with changing shims as the cams are gear driven and come in and out without the need to mess with chains or tensioners. Keep on top of the little things like the electrical connectors behind the radiator and throttle balancing and you'll be grand.

Offline Cartejo5

• Bike: DL650XT L8
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2023, 13:24:03 »
I'll probably be in the market next year and the 800 strom will be high on the list.

I sold my 650 xt gen 3 vstrom in the summer for various reasons. to be honest its a great bike with a fairly lively motor and really economical but the suspensions is budget at best, don't get me wrong I enjoyed the bike nippy enough but the crashing through the front suspension really cheesed me off. I did think of keeping it and splashing out on sorting the suspension out but circumstances made selling it the best option.

Re the power difference between the 650 and 800, I agree 5.5hp increase is minimal however the torque is up by 16% which should be really noticable. Personally I prefer torquey motors, more fun and so much more useable.

FWIW I've never owned a bike with cruise and have done lots of touring and never missed it. If you want to spend long hours on motorways take a car.

Online nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2023, 14:55:12 »
Sorry to thread jack.
Porter ,
you said you had problems with the 990, alternator bolt as I remember, can you say what went wrong?
I am thinking of a 990 Super Duke R 2009  on model for being silly on when the 650 just won't do it for me.
I had a SMT 990 for 40.000 miles which had a raft of minor problems but the engine itself was sound ,if expensive to service,so any advice would be welcome.

TA

Offline NeilM

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2023, 15:58:45 »
Thanks for all the replies.

Just to reiterate; I am not getting rid of my 650, I love it and have another full calendar of UK touring planned on it for 2024.

On cruise control, I have had it on many cars and only ever use it on quiet motorways. However, after a full days riding in the Cairngorms last June, I was more or less forced into leaving the campsite (too many kids, too much noise, no chance of sleep as the parents had started on the wine and beer by 6.00pm), so decided just head straight home... 450 miles down the motorways. Cruise control would have been most welcome.

The VStrom 1000 certainly seems like the natural 'big brother' to have in the garage. I will wait until the New Year and then see if I can't blag a ride on one and also my mates 1200gs, that will either be kill or cure for the whole idea.

Online nigel s

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2023, 16:18:11 »
Spanner .......into the works.
Sorry.
The 650 will do pretty much what the 1000/1050/ GS will do touring wise .
Maybe if you are thinking two bikes get something  a little  bit different from the 650,not a Super Duke maybe,but something  that shows another side to biking...cruiser/dirt bike/rocket ship/classic?
Plenty to choose from and the 650 will always be there if you find you don't like the new direction.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2023, 17:38:22 »
 Nigel S. The alternator nut fell off at 3k miles at over 80 mph, taking the crank end with it. Was a fault on a batch of 990 adventure's, I got a new engine but left on a new Triumph tiger 1050 instead! The gearbox went on that also but I did get 9k miles first.

Online nigel s

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2023, 17:45:17 »
cheers for the info.
When it comes to some bike makers inside info is gold dust on batches/model differences.
I would not use a new KTM as a daily rider :stirpot: , been there done that, but as as  a bit of fun with a  stom back up I am willing to take a punt.

TA

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2023, 17:59:52 »
2112, seems an odd thing to post on a VSTrom site.

I meant if the GS doesn't have shaft drive, it's obviously a wrong one. It was meant in jest and harks back to the days one of my mates bought a chain drive GS850 Suzuki. They only did the 850 as a shaft drive and it turned out to be a 750 'cloned' to be an 850. He wasn't too bright and didn't realise he'd bought a ringer...

I use cruise control all the time, around town, open roads, dual carriageways - everywhere. It keeps the average speed up when you are getting a bit tired and it keeps the points away in the 30/40/50 zones.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline sweaty sock

• Bike: R1150GS, VFR750F, TTR250
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2023, 18:52:45 »
I have a 2000/W R1150GS. 
Lots and lots of stuff on it (Ohlins/luggage/Remus/Gemi-chipped etc) 
I have had it 6yrs, prev. over 10 yrs, both of us GSER members) not immaculate/used but not abused. Lots of receipts, tools etc
I love it because it is easy to work on and gives me no trouble other than the the usual.  No electronic issues.
I need to move to a smaller bike next year due to health issues.
Let me know if a PX would be of any interest.