Author Topic: I may have made a horrible mistake  (Read 788 times)

Offline MilozFolly

• Bike: DL650 L3
I may have made a horrible mistake
« on: March 04, 2024, 12:53:18 »
First time I've done an oil change and all going swimmingly until I try to put the drain plug back in. It gets to a certain point (a little past finger tight) then goes loose again. I've threaded it by hand so unless I undid the wrong way initially I don't know what's happened. I've put some kitchen roll down and put a little oil into the engine and nothing yet but any ideas what I should do?  Slightly longer bolt etc?

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
Re: I may have made a horrible mistake
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 13:06:30 »
It does sound like it's stripped. Hopefully it'll be the plug and not the sump.
Pull the plug out, yes the nice clean oil is probably scrap too, then check for the damage. If it's the plug, you need a new one plus Suzuki style washer.
If it's the sump then it's going to get difficult.
Your options are probably to drill and tap larger with larger plug. There's also a larger plug that is available and self cuts.
I think kwackboy with his shop experience is best to advise.
Don't ride it if you think the plug is loose, try tourqing to correct tightness, what happens? I'm guessing it'll just turn.
I'm saying the oil may be scrap because there could be metal in it.
Good luck.
Upt.

Offline Upt North

Online nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2

Offline MilozFolly

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2024, 13:27:14 »
Damn - that's what mine looks like

Offline Upt North

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2024, 15:13:46 »
The plug thread looks OK, I think, is that the washer that has broken and is that bits of sump ali?
Without the washer on can you screw it in and tighten the plug OK. Don't attempt to tighten too much but will it tighten?
Upt.

Offline Upt North

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2024, 15:22:33 »
M.F. This may not be your fault by the way, it's definitely your problem but you may not be responsible. If it was overtightened previously then the damage was done then but only became apparent when you took the plug out.
Upt.

Offline MilozFolly

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2024, 15:37:46 »
Thanks chaps - I thought I may have got lucky with a slightly longer bolt - no leak at all but then it got up to temp and drip, drip.  I'll drain it and try a new washer as that looks to be the most obvious culprit.  If everyone would kindly cross their fingers I would appreciate it!!

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2024, 16:04:21 »
Absolute bodgery, but needs must - would a layer of PTFE tape around the plug help?
Make sure you apply the tape in the direction of the thread and then run your fingers over it to blend it with the existing thread.
Good luck  :thumb:
May your God go with you...
(Dave Allen)

Offline Jim13_Wee_Strom

• Bike: DL650A K9 Black, 98 Trophy 900 in Silver.
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2024, 17:27:20 »
I'd be drilling a small hole (3mm) in the sump plug / bolt and lock wiring it... just in case. Mandatory on race bikes.

Ignorance is the main cause of over tightened bolts / nuts / screws, "I'll just give it a little more just to be sure" and before you know it threads are weakened (over time and frequency) and eventually stripped which is what I think has happened in this case. To be sure I would read the manual and wouldn't tighten any steel bolt in an aluminium housing to much more than 20ft-lbs or whatever the modern equivalent is.
Don't sweat what you can't influence...
IBA Member

Online nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2024, 17:30:34 »
Firstly..........calm down.
This doesn't get sorted today,sleep on it.
Are you keeping the warranty, ie getting the oil changed as part of a service? If so the dealer needs to know, other wise they will torque to spec and possibly strip whatever you end up doing? Hell, you take it in to them and explain, they may say " oh yeah we get that all the time ,we do a timesert service ,no problem"
Are you going to be happy toodling down the motorway at 85 with a "temporary" repair?
Take time and get it right ,one way or another. :thumb:

Luck

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2024, 17:40:57 »
Miloz, find yourself a Honda sump washer, about 2-3mm thick from memory and solid ali, not the double lipped thin thing. Local garage to me swore they crush, seal and feel better than the Suzuki ones... they weren't wrong! It might give you the extra sealing surface you need with a slightly longer sump plug.

Offline Dark-Strom

• Bike: 2018 Ninja 650
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2024, 21:33:53 »
I must admit that I have a genrric copper washer kit that I use for sump washers.
Too tight to pay for expensive alloy ones... :whistle:
May your God go with you...
(Dave Allen)

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2024, 00:41:37 »
    Dowty seals are still the best sealing and most reliable washers for the sump plug.Find a hydraulic pipe repair shop and ask for Dowty seals.
Ian Mc.

Offline MilozFolly

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2024, 09:57:09 »
Thanks again.  I've ordered some dowty washers and a longer Suzuki drain plug.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 06:39:50 »
Did you perhpas snap a pix or two on the condition of the oil drain hole thread?   If there is no damage to the threads in the engine casing, you are extremely lucky.

If the drain hole threads of the engine are damaged, you will need to either insert a heli-coil or a time insert thread work done. Anything other short of this could fail unexpectantly while out riding. The other alternative may be to drill and tap for a oil sump bolt from a Vee. The Vee uses a slightly larger diameter drain hole bolt.
In my option, neither of these three options are a task for the average Joe soap / faint hearted, who don't have access to a workshop and the correct tools to undertake this type of work.

I recommend that you first have look at a few of the youtube videos on how to repair the oil fran plug or other similar research, for a better understanding on the process and then decide for yourself whether or not you have a steady hand / skills to do the engine drain plug thread repair yourself.

Offline MilozFolly

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2024, 21:49:26 »
Update - dowty washers turned up promptly but the new, longer,  :happydance:drain plug screw didn't come until this lunchtime.  Very carefully, I managed to get it seated and hand tight. Nipped it up with a spanner and refilled the oil.  Ran up to temp and no leaks!  I'll have a little run out next time the weather looks OK to check properly but, touch wood, I seem to have been very lucky.