Author Topic: Scottoiler  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Adamsale

• Bike: DL650 L4, Honda PCX125
Scottoiler
« on: November 14, 2021, 12:54:14 »
Hi,

I have a scottoiler V system fitted to my 2014 DL650 with a twin nib delivery of oil to the chain.

The system has been on the bike now for 4 years and I had to replace it recently with a new one as the diaphragm on the oil reservoir started leaking. Frustratingly I’ve always experienced some oil dripping from the nibs after the bike has stopped running despite trying all known remedies. That is unless I keep the dial setting on the reservoir on minimum.

I was wondering if any one has any similar experience with the vsystem and whether fitting the new esystem would be a good option?

If I went ahead I wouldn’t be fitting the device myself as not technically minded but would get my local MB shop do it. I would supply the device and any extra parts to complete the installation and on the latter point are their any recommendations please. Also should I stick with twin nib or go single nib delivery?

Cheers

Offline clutchspring

• Bike: DL1000XT M0
Re: Scottoiler
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 13:24:31 »
Do you still have oil dripping now you have fitted the new reservoir ?. I'm a fan of Scott oilers & never had a problem with oil dripping out of the nib when the engine is not running & I personally would fit the twin injecter at the sprocket as I had one fitted to my last bike & it did seem to oil the chain better than the single.
The only down side was the twin took many rides to get it set up properly. I ended up contacting Scott oil about the fact I couldn't stop oil getting over the back wheel.
Scott oil told me to forget the fitting instructions  & told me to fit it at a totally different angle to the instructions which solved the problems.
As for fitting the escott oiler I can't comment as I've never had on of the electric ones,
Good look,
Ian.

Offline Adamsale

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 17:23:48 »
Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your response yes it has continued to drip in the same way with the new reservoir fitted unless I turn down the flow setting to near minimum which to be fair is OK during the summer months. It’s when you turn the flow rate up for the winter months that I get the dripping not at the flow rate setting speed but perhaps a single drip every couple of hours. However perhaps my procedure for setting the flow rate for the winter months is at fault??

Like you I’ve done many a ride and and spent many hours trying to get it set right. I too get a very small amount of splatter on the rear number plate as well as the wheel rim.

Curiously enough yesterday I put the Bike on its centre stand and whilst on tick over adjusted the flow rate round to the six o’clock position. After I timed the drip to every 2 minutes I put the bike back in the garage and from that point a drip continued to fall probably every couple of hours or so.

I decided to take the bike for a run this afternoon with the flow rate set at 4 o’clock in the hope the vacuum would kick in thus stopping the drip when the bike returned to its position in the garage. About 3 hours have now passed and no drip yet!!!

It’s all mystery to me and my frustration with it has led me to consider getting the esystem installed as I wish to continue to have an automatic chain lubrication system on my bike.

Baffled

John

Offline Adamsale

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 19:03:22 »
Hi Ian

You mentioned about the position of the twin injectors and would appreciate any comments on mine..please see pics.

Cheers

John

Offline clutchspring

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 08:15:08 »
Your injectors seem to be set at what Scott oiler says in their  instructions,  they told me to put mine at horizontal 9 o'clock position which sorted my problem of oil on back wheel .
Your setting seems a bit high mine is only at the two o'clock position  using blue Scott oil.
Ian.

Offline Adamsale

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 12:32:09 »
Thanks Ian,

Forgive me but I’m unsure how to interpret the Horizontal 9 o’clock position for the injectors. Only if it’s no bother but would very much appreciate a pic of your injectors position.

I have taken a pic of my new flow rate setting which is probably more 3 o’clock than 4 and am also using Scott blue.

Since my blast on the bike yesterday afternoon at the new flow rate setting I have had no drips from the injectors whilst parked up.

Cheers

John

Offline clutchspring

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 17:16:05 »
Hi again,  unable to send photo as the twin injector was fitted to my last bike which is now  sold.
When I say 9 o'clock  It means putting the injectors at the imagery position  at the rear sprocket  if you had 1 to 12 marked on the sprocket like a clock face & 9 o'clock would give you  a position more of less straight across ie horizontal  if that makes sense.
My present bike is only fitted with the single injector, I did consider fitting a twin injector but the under side of the swinging arm has quite a upstand running along the centre & I wasn't shore if the twin injector would sit correctly.
Hope some of this makes sense,
Ian

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2021, 20:03:13 »
   When I first got the new to me Glee last year,it had a Scottoiler with a large tank on it (that was leaking) behind the rear number plate.It had a single sided oil injector on it, the side that the injector touched was in good condition(oily), but the other side was totally rusty as was the inside of the chain.
   I took it off as it dripped oil all the time the engine was running even though it was on a low setting.I then fitted a Lubeman oiler and it has worked perfectly ever since. From memory the whole kit including a twin nozzle injector was about £25 , an interesting comparison of prices is that the twin oiler nozzle on the Scottoiler is about the same price as the WHOLE kit on the Lubeman.
   If you contact Lubeman he will sell you a twin nozzle to replace the single on your Scottoiler for a couple of quid.
   In my estimation Scottoilers are are over hyped and over priced.
Ian Mc.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2021, 22:12:16 »
I've had the one Scotoiler on my last three bikes now totaling 10 years and almost 80k miles, no trouble with it at all. I just use the single drip feed, no drips.
But it can be a pain picking up the vacuum so when this one packs up I'll buy one with no vacuum take off.

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2021, 19:32:59 »
For those who want an automatic oiler, but have decided that the Scottoiler isn't for them, then the TUTORO oilers get my vote currently: https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/collections/frontpage

Offline raing

• Bike: DL650 K5
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2021, 07:41:51 »
For those who want an automatic oiler, but have decided that the Scottoiler isn't for them, then the TUTORO oilers get my vote currently: https://www.tutorochainoiler.com/collections/frontpage

Thanks, how do you think it compares to pdoiler?

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2021, 09:42:19 »
I had a couple of PD oiler controllers stop working which turned me off them. Certainly a nice small unit and not affected by temperature changes like the Scottoiler / TUTORO. The brush wick is a good idea, juts harder to confirm if the oil is getting to it, which if the controller stops working makes it problematic. Probably didn't need the "automatic" bit as much as the TUTORO as it's tending to push less oil towards the chain. My current TUTORO keeps on working so haven't felt the need to try a PD again (fingers crossed I haven't just hexed my oiler  :shock:  )

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2021, 11:36:51 »
I can't  comment on the Tutoro as I have never used one.
However I have had the PD Oiler (mini) on mine for close to eight years now & other than a few rides to get it set right (now on very slow drip rate) it's been great.
I have used chain saw oil for a few years now & I think it's better than PD Oiler's own oil.
I have changed the wick five times in that time and covered 45k miles.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline raing

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 11:58:12 »
I had a couple of PD oiler controllers stop working which turned me off them. Certainly a nice small unit and not affected by temperature changes like the Scottoiler / TUTORO. The brush wick is a good idea, juts harder to confirm if the oil is getting to it, which if the controller stops working makes it problematic. Probably didn't need the "automatic" bit as much as the TUTORO as it's tending to push less oil towards the chain. My current TUTORO keeps on working so haven't felt the need to try a PD again (fingers crossed I haven't just hexed my oiler  :shock:  )

Thanks I found a cheap Tutoro on my local facebook, so likely will go with that.

What oil are you using? Is it too messy when you get stuck in traffic?

Offline Adamsale

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2021, 13:22:04 »
“Re: Scottoiler
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2021, 17:16:05 »
“Hello again,  unable to send photo as the twin injector was fitted to my last bike which is now  sold.
When I say 9 o'clock  It means putting the injectors at the imagery position  at the rear sprocket  if you had 1 to 12 marked on the sprocket like a clock face & 9 o'clock would give you  a position more of less straight across ie horizontal  if that makes sense.
My present bike is only fitted with the single injector, I did consider fitting a twin injector but the under side of the swinging arm has quite a upstand running along the centre & I wasn't shore if the twin injector would sit correctly.
Hope some of this makes sense,”
Ian

Thanks Ian for the further information I will experiment with changing the position of the nibs to the 9 o’clock position and see if it stops the
splatter on rear wheel rim/no plate though at this time it’s only a very small amount.

Interestingly since my last post I’ve done a few rides at the new reservoir flow setting and I’ve had no more dripping from the nibs after the bike has been parked up. I think there may have been delay with the vacuum kicking after I adjusted to the winter setting?????

All good at the moment then

John

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2021, 14:00:40 »
@ Raing

Unlike the scottoiler, the Tutoro doesn't pump oil while stationary.

I have both and fill them with just about any thin gear oil and yes, it will flick all over your back wheel, no matter what position you place the pipe
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2021, 16:50:25 »
One benefit of the TUTORO is the setting up. You use a magnet to raise the weight and then open the adjuster 4 turns for bleeding. The same magnet is used to check the drop rate at the nib. I don't get too much splatter on my back wheel but have the drip rate quite low.

I'm using Scottoiler oil as I bought a bit a few years ago  :roll:

Offline raing

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2021, 17:36:24 »
One benefit of the TUTORO is the setting up.

I'm using Scottoiler oil as I bought a bit a few years ago  :roll:

Hi John, where up north are you? I'm in Whitley Bay,  so pretty south haha

Where did you mount your Tutoro? Someone in the forum mounted on the swingarm and achieved full use of the bottle, whilr other locations need refill at 2/3 capacity.

Someone also mentioned using the Scottoiler dual injectors on the Tutoro. Any experience with this?

Offline Oop North John

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2021, 20:23:53 »
I'm in the north east of Scotland  :thumb: I was born in Darlington and many years ago had an aunt who lived in Cullercoates. Lived most of my life in Yorkshire / Lancashire / Aberdeenshire.

On my 650 I have the TUTORO tie wrapped to the square rear subframe arm. In this picture you can hopefully see the orange vertical TUTORO. I can get a full fill of the container, and use an old Scottoiler bottle to fill up when possible. Never used a twin nib dispenser, the oil seems to get to the other side of the chain. I'm hoping to reduce the friction on the rollers / sprocket, wash some of the road dust etc off and also keep corrosion at bay on the side plates.

BTW there is a need to take the front sprocket cover off every now and then to clean the muck that accumulates there. Best wear gloves when you do  :thumb: