Author Topic: Break In  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
Break In
« on: May 06, 2019, 11:34:40 »
Last Friday afternoon Mrs Ridaz called me to to say the mancave had received some unwanted visitors having first through I had been stupid enough to leave the doors open overnight.

I got home to find one of the the door locks and handle smashed and the doors damage from them being ripped open. On closer inspection inside the cave it appears I got very lucky with nothing at all missing. They had lifted the covers off the front of a couple of bikes (Ducati Paso 906 and XS500) which leads me to believe that either they were disturbed or this this was a targeted break with a clear 'prize' in mind.

I have talked with a few neighbours, one of which recalls hearing what he believed sounded like a flat bed truck parked alongside his house around 4 am that morning and that he had looked out of the window a few times but could not see anything. Another house over the road has CCTV pointing in this area and I have been trying to see the people who lie there to ask them to check.

North Yorkshire police have been brilliant. I hear stories of a lack of police interest etc but I cannot fault them. They offered an officer to come visit but I declined as I didn't feel the need for reassurance. They sent out a CSI team who dusted for prints (none found) and took away the broken handle and lock as they can get a 'print' of the mole grips used from the damage found.

The doors were made secure/repaired that night through the insurance company and an assessor is coming out on Weds to survey any further damage to the doors which are slightly bent out of shape. I'm £200 down currently with the excess to pay.

My gut instinct tells me this was targeted towards the TTR, and even more so as a number of similar attacks, many successful have been reported in a closed Facebook group I recently joined for off road riding. I may be wrong but have since left that group anyway as a precaution.

In all a sad event but I got really lucky and will only now be beefing up the security but as is often the case, this is a reaction to an attempt and too late.

If you only take one thing away from this post then please let it be to check your own security and ask yourself if it is enough.

Martin (other Admin are available) can you re-title this to take away my 2nd post comments please. The forum never lets me start a thread with pics attached.

Online StromGeeza

• Global Moderator
  • Bike: just scoots now
Re: Break In
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 11:53:05 »
Post title amended.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 12:20:44 »
Now they know what's there, they may well be back. Sorry if I am adding to your stress mate but I would chain all the bikes together, fit an alarm and some stout locks.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 14:53:29 »
Agreed. Depending on your doors, something like a garage door defender, coupled with flood lights mounted on high on the house, with dusk til dawn wall lights lower down. Ground anchors and possibly an alarm for the garage too.
If they've come with a flatbed truck, then I'd suggest they're professionals so definitely improve the security. Also be wary of return visits in a month or so (usually after insurance payouts if they steal something but now they know what you've got in there...)

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 15:19:51 »
Get a shotgun. You may need to go clay pigeon shooting at 2am...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 15:38:56 »
Sad news.  :icon_no:
yes, as suggested this may have been a dummy run to see what you have...... F..kers ..  :icon_batterup:

Hope you manage to beef up your security  :thumb:

I think I would gladly camp out in my man cave for a few weeks ...  :icon_batterup: :icon_batterup:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Ridaz

• Site Donator
  • Bike: Africa Twin 2017, TTR 250 2004, VF 750F-D Interceptor 1983
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 16:24:15 »
Thanks all. A welder mate of mine popped round yesterday and we have a plan for physical security to protect doors. The alarm is due to be delivered and the cctv install plan now being considered.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2019, 17:11:40 »
Bad news mate, I would agree they were after the TT-R. I don't think we help by meeting round at yours before a ride. They also follow certain bikes home be it with you riding it or on the trailer.

It's reassuring that the local Police are treating it seriously.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2019, 18:47:57 »
I hate to hear this bastards as others have said now they know what’s in there !! Glad you are beefing up the security here’s hoping you don’t get another visit 🤞

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2019, 20:13:49 »
That's not good news to hear. Hope you get the security sorted enough to put another visit off!
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline wurzel

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 06:28:43 »
Baby monitors are useful, sorry to hear of your break in, bastards.