Author Topic: The moaning old git thread  (Read 327757 times)

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
Re: The moaning old git thread
« Reply #3840 on: May 13, 2024, 19:10:26 »
One of my former school friends took 6 attempts to pass his car test. On one attempt he hit a parked ice cream van, completely knocking the ice cream man out of the hatch and on to the footpath in front of several horrified children he was serving! On another occaision he circumnavigated a large roundabout several times before telling the examiner "I'm sorry, but there are no right turns". True.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Online Jim13_Wee_Strom

• Bike: DL650A K9 Black, 98 Trophy 900 in Silver.
« Reply #3841 on: May 13, 2024, 22:15:57 »
Old neighbour of mine took 6 attempts to pass her driving test, good driver as it turns out but went to pieces during the tests. She also had the same trouble with her exams in an attempt to become a paralegal. Some people can't cope with the pressure, percieved or otherwise, associated with test / exam situations.
Don't sweat what you can't influence...
IBA Member

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3842 on: May 16, 2024, 07:02:45 »
A good reliable ISP needed

I have only a few days left before my ISP is taken over and I end up with Talk Talk and I'd rather not have anything to do with that lot.  What else is out there?
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Sir Trev

• Bike: 800RE
« Reply #3843 on: May 16, 2024, 09:49:24 »
I was with BT up to a few months ago.  Long story but years ago I switched from Sky (constant price rises) and at the time I was offered free BT Sport if I moved over and it was just as Moto GP moved over to that channel from Eurosport.  Whoop.  Then BT won the rights to some Association Football rubbish and told me BT Sport was no longer free.  Barstewards!

Did not bother to move away again but now BT are moving domestic customers over to EE I went into my local EE shop and they moved it all over for me painlessly.  It's cheaper for bband, on a much faster package, my home phone (only ever used when my parents call me) is now PAYG, so cheap, and my mobile phones (x2) are now on EE too and both packages are better and cheaper.

tl:dr  Try EE.
We are the Goon Squad and we're coming to town - BEEP BEEP!

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #3844 on: May 16, 2024, 10:00:39 »
I know they're just a branch of BT but;
I was with Plusnet for years and they were great, no issues at all.
I then moved to a small local ISP in Doncaster as Sheffield council had kindly wasted a huge chunk of tax payers money on a city wide fibre network, a few years before BT rolled theirs out anyway and it went bust.
Said local ISP went bang last year and got bought out by, you guessed it, Talk Talk. Their customer support is now in South Africa and they are quite the worst company I have ever dealt with so you are right to jump ship.
I am now back with Plusnet since the end of last year and have had no issues at all. Granted I haven't had to speak to them about anything yet but I take that as a good sign.

* Missus is with EE and has no complaints there either, they're just a bit more expensive than Plusnet.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3845 on: May 16, 2024, 11:28:13 »
After a long search I am now with Vodafone on a deal a bit cheaper than I was on before with a promise of 60+ MB ( whatever that means) according to my speed checker  on the pole strung line to my home, I can get 27. So promises of a super high speed connection are just so much hot air.
But wait !!!     there is more insanity out there
I phoned my car insurance (LV) to book a windscreen replacement
Phone rings and voice offers the usual option presss various numbers to get to the right people
So I end up with a long string of numbers on my phone and I'm talking to someone and the appointment is booked and I am directed to a payment process and the voice says enter your card details and I add that to the long string of numbers already on the screen and the voice keeps saying that it's the wrong number and there is no way I can see of deleting the previous numbers and she keeps telling me to enter my card details ### and then says I'm sorry please click the link on the email we have sent to you and then the line goes dead.  Of course there is no link and link and no email ..... I really really really hate this so called new technology that never bloody works  :topic_closed:

Offline Brockett

« Reply #3846 on: May 16, 2024, 11:43:00 »
I was with EE until they were taken over by BT and their prices went up £3+  a year  until they were almost as dear  as BT ( Bloody Thieves)

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3847 on: May 16, 2024, 12:41:37 »
Both Vodafone and BT utilise the Openreach network.
The Openreach network, reaches 96% of homes with Superfast fibre broadband.

Vodaphone is cheaper than BT.

Dave, I think I told you before that it is possible to run fibre cable overhead, so they won’t need to dig any trenches up your drive, just replace the existing copper cable with a fibre one. 

Just as a comparison between which each can provide ….

•   BT Broadband Unlimited: 10Mbps avg. speed (this is only available in areas that cannot receive fibre speeds)
•   BT Fibre Essential: 36Mbps avg. speed
•   BT Full Fibre Essential: 36Mbps avg. speed
•   BT Fibre 1: 50Mbps avg. speed
•   BT Full Fibre 1: 50Mbps avg. speed
•   BT Fibre 2: 67Mbps avg. speed
•   BT Full Fibre 2: 74Mbps avg. speed
•   BT Full Fibre 100: 150Mbps avg. speed
•   BT Full Fibre 300: 300Mbps avg. speed
•   BT Full Fibre 500: 500Mbps avg. speed
•   BT Full Fibre 900: 900Mbps avg. speed
•   
•   
•   Vodafone Fibre 1: 35Mbps avg. speed
•   Vodafone Fibre 2: 67Mbps avg. speed
•   Vodafone Full Fibre 74: 74Mbps avg. speed
•   Vodafone Full Fibre 150: 150Mbps avg. speed
•   Vodafone Full Fibre 500: 500Mbps avg. speed
•   Vodafone Full Fibre 900: 910Mbps avg. speed
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Joe Rocket

• Bike: DL650A L5, Kawasaki GPX750R
« Reply #3848 on: May 16, 2024, 13:06:24 »
We have fibre overhead cable, in fact all who were previously served by overhead copper has the same. I think it's only new build where enterrement is possible. We kept the copper too!  :icon_wink:
So how's it going so far then?

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #3849 on: May 17, 2024, 09:39:55 »
Yes, I'm full fibre via the overhead network. Easier to install & easier to fix faults (being a former overhead linesman for the 'leccy board I can fully testify to the latter). The downside is birds can rest on the fibre cable & poo on Your car.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'