Author Topic: Blade Motorcycles, Swindon  (Read 2369 times)

Offline himaro

• Bike: DL650 L2
Blade Motorcycles, Swindon
« on: March 04, 2019, 13:44:31 »
Anyone from near Swindon has probably used Blade Swindon before. They picked up a lot of the slack after George Whites collapsed as a dealer.
They've basically got every main and main(ish) manufacturer apart from Harley Davidson under that roof now.

The service department are what I'm here to sing praise of though.
Twice they've got me out of a tight spot now. Once when someone tried to force my ignition. They gave me a loan bike and said they'd get the rest sorted. Their price was more than fair, more so considering they're a dealership. They knocked off some of the labour costs as they knew I was in a tight spot (Weddings are expensive).

The second time, just recently, I took it in for a 7,500 mile service + new chain \ sprockets + added scottoiler. They got the work done, next day I was riding it and a horrid grinding sound \ feeling came from the rear of the bike (before the work, I thought it was the chain hitting the swingarm, having not had those bearings go before). Limped it from work to the garage and they took the bike in, gave me a loan bike and replaced the bearings on the rear wheel. As an apology for not spotting the somewhat destroyed state of my rear bearings, they charged no labour cost or loan bike costs, just parts.

Their advice is honest, their work is good and they are quick to put their hands up when they make a mistake.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Blade Motorcycles, Swindon
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 15:20:17 »
Good to hear they hold their hands up to a mistake.
7500 on a chain and sprockets! What went wrong? Or is the scottoiler the giveaway?  :shy:
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 15:31:12 »
I have not used them for servicing myself as I tend to go to Steve Lynham or Bike Treads instead.

However, I've heard good things from other people and have used Blade for a Test Ride before too.
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 16:19:21 »
nice to hear someone is happy. Did the wheel bearings 'go' by 7500 miles or am I reading it wrong?
Early wear on wheel bearings and chain sounds like someone is using a jet washer on it.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline himaro

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 10:23:50 »
I'll clear a few things up
Yes, the scottoiler is the giveaway as to why my last chain wore quicker than it should have. I am an all weather rider but living in a flat means I have nowhere dry to maintain the bike (and, I'm chronically lazy....). I've set a reminder on my phone to go out every 2 weeks and have a look at the car and bike now... touch wood that'll improve things

The wheel bearings should have been spotted and changed when it went in for the service. The bikes done 30,000 miles after all. I've had bearings changed before (on other bikes) when they've shown signs of wear, but never had them fail until that incident.

I've used bike treads in the past when I had the Harley Davidson MT350 & a CB700SC Nighthawk, they're a good company and I like the new owners.
Last time I was there, I was very close (and I can't stress how close) to buying that Royal Enfield adventure bike. Sadly, I had my wedding to pay for.

Offline timangus

• Global Biker
  • Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 11:13:41 »
Hope Blade continue the service you experienced under the new owners. They have just been sold.

Offline Mattwprice

• Bike: DL1000GT L8
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 00:11:40 »
That may explain why they wanted to charge me £450 for a7.5k service!