Author Topic: Time to dip my toe in the water?  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Countrysailor

Time to dip my toe in the water?
« on: February 21, 2013, 08:21:26 »
I rode my neighbours 50cc automatic motorbike yesterday. First time riding since my bit of bother in September. A couple of turns round the block. That's it, I am now looking for something light to at least get me back on 2 wheels. I know I wouldn't be able to lug the strom out of my drive so it won't be another ( for a while at least ) but I do want something with a little bit of get up and go. As it will only be a temporary bike it wants to be cheapish £500 to £1500. Looked at a CX500 but it required a fair bit of work and I don't have a garage for that. Any suggestions?
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline mjc506

Re: Time to dip my toe in the water?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 08:29:51 »
Something smallish and off-roadish? DRZ2/3/400?
Projects:
DL650 engine rebuild: Complete!
Brighter rear indicators]Complete![/url]
Heated mirrors]Complete![/url]
Cruise control/Speed limiter/V-puter]Pending...[/color]

Offline doboy

• Bike: 1050 v strom
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 08:39:27 »
scooters are great ..I bought a new Honda sh300  4yrs ago as a temp thing but "cannot" bring myself to sell it . its only the size of a 250cc but with a 300cc single engine in it so goes like stink ..can cruise motorway at 80mph all day with a pillion . big 16inch wheel so handles well..linked a.b.s brakes stop you dead ....in the summer no need to get all your bike gear on ..in town there is nothing but nothing better than a twist & go ...I put it on the back of the car last yr and me and the wife toured all over northern France on it ..only drawbacks are small tank & not much leg room for rider ..2yrs ago I got bored so did the rhino rally on it in feb 260mls there and back with all the camping gear on ...o-h and its been the best selling scooter in italy for the past 5yrs ? ...if you get the chance try one , you'll be very suprised ...

Offline shedchief

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 09:30:47 »
Doboy is right. Scooters are great!
I too once owned an SH300 and was staggered by its excellent handling and performance - yes, really.

I now own a Piaggio BV300 which is also a first class machine, offering style, performance, economy, decent handling and huge storage under the saddle.

Twist'n'go scooters are fun and so easy to ride. Don't knock 'em til you've tried one!

All the best, Countrysailor!
:-D
Keith

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:05:14 »
Good to hear it Countrysailor! :)

I would go at this stage for a scooter! Low centre of gravity, easy to push around etc. Trail bikes in that price range are usually knackered, needing work etc. Another possibility could be a smallish cruiser-style bike?

I was looking for a Suzuki Van Van until recently, great little fun bike.

Eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Van-Va ... 3ccef92e30
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bike: CRF1000 Africa Twin
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 18:49:58 »
Nice to read you're making good progress Countrysailor!

Good advice below (or above depending on you preference settings)  :thumb:
I Go Down any Road There is, To see what's Around The Bend - Joe Bonamassa

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcyc ... 161e9.html

Offline Countrysailor

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 19:23:18 »
Thanks for the input and good wishes. Docs and herself reckon I'm ahead of sched so am happy enough.
Looked at the scooter, usual suspects Bergmans etc, good value in the Sym & kymco range very tempting but they are awkward big bu*#^rs to heave around and I'd hate to have to ask for help  :old:  :)
Did like the reviews I read on the Honda Integra, could fancy one but it's the price of a top of the range Strom.
I'm not buying new again, this time around. I've said before I liked my Guzzi's and have looked at a couple of Nevadas. They are just over 20kgs lighter than the Wee, low comfortable seat , and handlebars and handling and and and.......I'm liking the idea. I'm a man for the road rather than trail nowadays. Can't afford the spill risk. I have a couple of sore spots left from my Scrambling days ( Weren't called Moto Cross then.) No, think I'll just take it easy from now on, the Wee got me an £80 lecture at one of them cons the police have round here of altruistically offering one a no points choice. Still, the licence stayed clean and the lesson was learned.
Anyway, I may well be on to a good example of a Nevada for not too much money. Will let you know when and if. Thanks again  :thumb:
Keep it between the ditches...

Offline Jacksnipe

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 19:46:46 »
Totally agree with the SH300 lovers, I have one and it is the only bike of my few I use in winter (On the best days) what a machine it is. Very MC like and goes like stink with great handling and big wheels. It is no super lightweight but it does have a nippy 125 sibling which I have also owned and it was fine for nipping about on and would be great for getting back onto two wheels after your bad time. I bought a 125 SH with 7000 miles on the clock early last year for £740 and part chopped it for £1200 against the SH300. The 125's are still great value for money and very manageable. By the way 120 mpg as well !

Glad to see you are on the mend

WM

Offline wal750

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 22:08:19 »
CX500 are heavy buggers anyway.

If not a scooter how about something like a cb500? Nice and light and always a decent market for them if you're bored after 6 months  :shrug:
1986 Honda VFR 750 FG
1986 Yamaha XJ900F

V-strom now sold :-(