Author Topic: Mystery Nut and Wire  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Sage

• Bike: DL650 K6
Mystery Nut and Wire
« on: October 15, 2019, 17:38:17 »
I'm just going through my new to me 06 Wee before it goes on the road next month, but found a couple of things I'm unsure of and hope the collective wisdom of the forum can help.
First, when I was removing the lefthand tank panel a nut fell out, it seems to be a M12, 17mm across the flats and I cannot see where it has come from.

Second, there is a small red wire unconnected to the battery, tracing it along after a good foot or so it changes to purple and then goes into the regulator. I briefly rode the bike when purchasing and everything appeared to be working correctly. I did a voltage test before and after starting and the voltage was about 13v engine off and just over 14v engine running so that's OK to me. Just wondering what to do with the wire ?

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: Mystery Nut and Wire
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 18:04:08 »
Is there voltage at the wire when the bike is running or off?

There aren't that many M12 nuts on them so it's a pretty limited choice & it would be fairly obvious: look for substantial fixings like frame bolts, swingarm, suspension.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 18:05:40 »
The nut looks like it's from an indicator maybe ?
The red wire , check if it's live .
The only reason I can think of,  if it goes to the regulator it may suggest at some point there was charging issue.
Without seeing it properly I maybe wrong .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 18:13:19 »
Aye, indicators are a likely suspect.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Silverback

• Bike: DL650 K7
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 18:51:39 »
Just fitted a new front indicator and that looks like the nut.

Offline Sage

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 23:19:42 »
Re the nut, I looked at all the big stuff, frame, suspension etc but could not see anything obvious, but it has got after market indicators on the front so that may be it.....hopefully. Thank you.

The bike is in bits at the moment, just finished a valve check (all good) and waiting for the oil and air filter to arrive so will check the voltage when more bits are back on.
I must say, so far it has been pretty easy to service compared to some bikes I've worked on, it is also my first v twin.

Offline Fritz

• Bike: DL650 K9
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 10:39:24 »
If it's a standard indicator nut they have a different thread - see my post about them - if you can't screw it on a M12 bolt that's the badger. think it's a finer thread than a 'standard' M12. Chances are if that's the case it was too difficult to get to, then fell off when new indicators fitted and you've just found it now...full of hidey holes these bikes. I've taken...when I member...to sticking an old t-shirt round fairing / rear / were-ever anytime I'm undoing bolts as they drop off and disappear into a void that takes ages of caving exploration to find again :icon_wink:

Offline Sage

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 22:46:50 »
Put some of the bike back together after the valve check and throttle sync etc etc, it started fine but still no nearer on the purple wire. There is a very very small voltage across it of minus 0.1 volt when running.

Here are a couple more pictures, first showing it going into the regulator and then near the battery where it is joined to a red wire.

Offline Sage

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 23:42:00 »
Just for info, the wires from the regulator  are
Three yellow - to the stator
Two red
Two black
and
One Purple wire which also looks a bit thinner than the rest

The wiring diagram only shows 7 wires not 8 ????

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 05:32:17 »
I wonder if it is an aftermarket regulator? The purple wire may not have a use on the Strom. The voltage you mention on the wire sounds like a transient reading.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Sage

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 10:41:02 »
I guess it could be aftermarket....but was hoping there was someone on here with a 06 Wee to compare to.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2019, 11:54:14 »
I'm pretty sure that's an after market regulator, I maybe wrong but the purple wire maybe for a switched live to fit other models maybe .
Below is some pictures of a wee/sv650 regulator.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Sage

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 17:03:40 »
I think I agree it must be an aftermarket regulator, the 7 wires go into the normal connection plugs but this 8th one looks a bit odd.
A bit of research revealed that some bikes do have 8 wires, the extra wire acting as some sort of extra sensor for the regulator. The annoying thing is it has been connected to something as there marks on the terminal connector.....just need to find what.

Offline Sage

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 22:56:57 »
Think I may have solved the "mystery" seventh wire. A bit of Googling indicated that this wire may be used as a sensing wire by the regulator, some Honds's have one, so I did a more detailed voltage check with the engine running. Up to around 2500 rpm it was mid 13's, up to 4000 rpm around low 14's but at over 5000 rpm it was just over 16 volts....too high. Put the seventh wire on the positive terminal and the voltage dropped to low 14's and stayed there.

This was partially in preparation for using the heated kit, jacket, gloves and insoles. Had a trial run in the garage with everything on max as well as heated grips on max and the voltage did not go below 13v . In reality the I've never ever had to use the heated gear over halfway so I should be good to go, but will fit a mini volt meter just to be safe though.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2019, 23:22:09 »
Top marks for your research and follow up post.  :thumb:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Sage

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 13:03:03 »
Ta muchly. There is a wealth of knowledge on here and it only seems right to add to it if possible.