Author Topic: Triumph Explorer  (Read 3677 times)

Offline kissofdeath

• Bike: Veek
Triumph Explorer
« on: May 05, 2016, 21:06:08 »
anyone on here got one

what are they like? anything to look out for when buying? etc etc

Offline Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
Re: Triumph Explorer
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 21:51:04 »
There was a recall on the Head (not sure of the year), the only thing to watch out for after that is the arrogant bastard dealers and ridiculous servicing cost  :dl_soapbox:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline obalanga

• Bike: DL650 K8
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 22:03:27 »
there is a defector who got one in the past few months but they have not updated their experiences. Watch out for the head thing in if it is used with near 18-20k miles there is usually a ' big £500 pound odd service required

Offline Yoyo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 23:40:12 »
The Explorer was one of the  contenders for my Vee replacement,  a couple of mates have them, the engine is a peach but there have been a few recalls,  the issues for me were the reliability, the riding position (you seem to sit in it rather than on it) and a rubbish local dealer. The pluses are the level of accs you get with them and 10k service intervals but as already said, the 20k one is a biggy, main dealers are around  £800,  this is why there are lots of 18k used bikes around! Test ride one and see what you think, I went for a Super Ten, only 200 miles on it but it's great.

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 08:03:24 »
+1 on the dealers and servicing costs. They make BMW look friendly and customer orientated.

Also ask about spares availability, accesories and service availability. When they launch new models its sales first and everything else catches up months later. If you want a new Bonneville for example it's deposit now, bike in September, centre stand for Christmas and spares available by Easter if you are lucky.

Andy

Offline kissofdeath

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 19:05:42 »
thank for the replies people  :thumb:

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 12:40:42 »
I've rode my mates a few times. There a lovely smooth bike that I like a lot but there just too heavy for me. His first one had a new cylinder head and an ecu, all covered by triumph and as there are no imports, unlike Suzuki all should be fine
Dealer servicing is dear no matter what make, Suzuki dealer wants 250 for the 7500 mile service on my Veek, god knows what the 15k will be!

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 13:11:58 »
I got one.

Heavy - yes.

I have bought a second hand Batzen screen bracket. Just fitted that so not sure of how it will help buffeting. I have also fitted Rox risers to bring the bars up and back a bit.

The jury is out as against my Tiger 800 but I do like the shaft drive.
I have used Muddysump (Dave) to service my Tiger 800 so no stealer rates.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline vwee

• Bike: 2017 NC750x dct
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 01:28:07 »
First one's had ecu/head problems.Later one's like mine had silly recall's,side stand bolts gear selctor spring.Mainly going down the box.Ride magazine did a excellant write up on owning new/secondhand,overall the bike is top heavy and the ride can get choppy on bumpy road's.petrol usage is pretty good for a lardy beast.Service costs are high(triumph)but only if you are going round the world,if you run a tex and another bike like me then long term it will work out OK.10thou minor compere against my dl at 4thou.
If I keep the tex it will get suspension upgrade and new tyres.just fitted some roadsmart 3's to the dl650l2,had roadsmart 2's on a tiger 800 roadie+ohlin's front and rear which transformed the ride as oem tyres were shite and rear shock gave up the ghost at 13thou miles

Offline grumps

• Bike: DL650A M0, BMW R1250RT. Yamaha X-Max 300
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 10:33:38 »
Just done 900 miles in France on tour.

The Batzen brackets did help a bit with the buffeting but some work still to be done there.

The seat seemed to get more comfortable as I settled into it so OK there.

Noisier engine v the 800 but loads of grunt and not having to faff around with a chain is great.

I didn't bother working out mpg but it seemed to take about the same amount of fuel as the other bikes in the group, including a Tiger1050.

Overall I like the Tex but I also liked my 800. The Tex is heavy to handle and I guess there will come a time I will want a lighter bike so may go back to an 800.
If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer.

Offline kissofdeath

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 13:31:38 »
Thanks for that Grumps, helps alot  :thumb:

Offline Tiny

• Bike: 2016 BMW R1200GSA
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 19:06:20 »
I've done about 2000 miles on mine since I got it & can't fault it at all. One big advantage over the Vee (& I loved my Vee) road manners about town, its much smoother negotiating town traffic. No lumpiness & I don't miss the flat spot @ 3k revs.

Out & about, it pulls well; my mates GS struggles to keep pace & I'm at least 6 stone heavier. Seems to be better on fuel than the Vee too although I'm not measuring just not filling up as often. They are quite reasonable used, a lot of bike for the money but I think at new prices I'd be looking at something else.