Author Topic: Electric death  (Read 7237 times)

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
Re: Electric death
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 23:53:22 »
Glad it's sorted Tusker, didn't want to change the date again  :shock:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline King Orry

• Bike: Glee
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 14:52:45 »
I’m with AndyM on the fuses, if I have an issue I swap them for known good uns, and go from there (it may also be cos I struggle to see whether they’ve blown or not). It’s a good way to do it if struggling under a streetlamp in the middle of nowhere.
As for kwackboy’s advice - you need to bridge the two main +/- wires bolted to the solenoid. This done by maybe using an old set of plyers with rubber handles
Wow.. that took me back, to about 1982 I think and riding r-kids knackered CB750FA.
It was suffering with bent valves and a total disregard for maintenance, it wouldn’t tick-over, and the solenoid was also buggered, so he had the side panel permanently off to allow access, and a 6inch nail tucked under the seat strap to arc across the terminals each time it died.. (with sellotape wrapped around one end.. safety first of course ????)
It was great, often stalling at zebra crossings, each time out would come the nail, sparks would fly, and the bloody thing would roar into life once more. Great for terrifying young children and old ladies.. Ace.!

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 15:43:25 »
Shorting solenoids - yup, been there... First car ('78 Opel Kadett - Chevette style) went for a swim through a big puddle one night I was out and the starter began to act up soon after as the terminals in the solenoid had corroded a bit. I had 2 big screwdrivers in the car - one you jammed the key against the wheel to the start position, the other you shorted the solenoid terminals out with. I lived with that for about 6 months...  :shy:
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2018, 18:27:47 »
I have no clue what you say  ###

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 06:02:53 »
@Mr Nick my Chrysler Sunbeam had a similar issue, the main battery feed in had snapped off so I had to flash a jump lead to the out and trigger terminals. 6 to 8 months with me as well. I extended the alternator charge cables up to the battery....

How I'm still here I'll never know, the pair of 40 DCOE's always leaked when it was hot.

Those Kadette's were one of the sweetest handling cars ever conceived by man, the 1200's had a brilliant screamer of an engine.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Tusker

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 13:52:41 »
I think the shit has just got deeper, when we found the blown fuse we replaced the 10A with a 20A (because I had no spare 10A) just now I took the 20A out and put a 10A in, no problem the bike started and was spinning its back wheel on the paddock stand. Turned it off did a bit of cleaning and adjusted the chain started the bike up to spin the wheel till warm to  add chain lube. Again no problem. As I went to stop the bike I stalled it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ping blown fuse. All previous faults reappeared. I changed the fuse and tried to start the bike,,, ping blown fuse...     :dl_smiley_banghead: :dl_smiley_banghead:  left bike for ten minutes whilst I had a curse and a cuppa. Went back to it changed fuse and all OK. Stopped it, started it a number of times, had the back wheel spinning, put spots on , heated grips on full,, stopped, it started it and no problem... :shrug: But my confidence in the bike is shot. No time today to take her out but on a ride tomorrow guess I'll stay close to home......  :eusa-doh:

Offline user650

• Bike: DL650A M3 in fast white (Gen 3), DL650A M2 in fast white (Gen 3)
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2018, 02:07:25 »
Sounds like a short, some wiring rubbed through? Does it happen when you move the handle bars? check wiring to bars. Any work done on it recently?  :shrug:
If It Starts Ride It
Don't Say Cheese Say Wensleydale
I'm Big on the inside, small on the outside
What happens in Wales gets told to everyone

Posh Paul
IBA Member
RBLR 1000 '18
Armistice 1000 '18
RBLR 1000 '19
RBLR 1000 '22
RBLR 1000 '23

Offline Tusker

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2018, 07:40:16 »
Who knows Paul  :shrug: I've looked at everything I can. I'm now going to Wales today on a long ride out. I'm with other riders and I have spare fuses ,,lets see what happens. I spoke to an auto electrician last night (he doesn't do bikes) he said "the only thing worse than an electrical fault is an intermittent electrical fault" I said thanks for that  :clap: :clap:

Offline Andy M

• Bike: Hurley-Pugh Empire Wildebeeste Manx Thruxton
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 16:14:59 »
Start where the loom goes from the headstock/yokes to the main frame. The dash, ignition switch stuff and lights all pass through there and its the classic place for a rubbed through loom.

Also, replace the 10A fuse with a suitably bent nail and try sniffing for escaping Lucas smoke.

Andy

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 16:38:06 »
 :shock: lol

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2018, 18:35:10 »
How about a diesel Enfield? No engine electrics to worry about ????

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2018, 18:58:00 »

Also, replace the 10A fuse with a suitably bent nail and try sniffing for escaping Lucas smoke.

Andy

Risky ....!!
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline TLPower

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2018, 19:21:35 »
I was under the impression that the smoke of Joseph was without odour, only sound and darkness.

A quick search did indicate that it isn't an unusual occurance, but it is usually components rather than the loom at fault, even a faulty O2 sensor caused a short.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline TLPower

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2018, 19:39:48 »

Walter Rohrl.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2018, 19:51:08 »
Somehow I don't think modern triumphs have British looms and components but I have used this method a couple of times and it's worked .
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2018, 20:20:55 »
Diesel Enfield? I met a chap built a diesel Fiesta bike. Shaft drive too.

Offline Tusker

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2018, 21:16:26 »
ME   :lala: :lala: :lala: :fix: :fix: 10 miles into my day out in Wales the same fuse blew again on the St Helens bypass..  ### :icon_exclaim:,,,,,  however by pure genius and Skillful observation (or luck) as I stared down at my dead dash I saw two little thin wires, one black one white flutter  from the bottom of the front cowl near the top of the forks. So I pulled over. I fished the wires into view and they both had bare ends and they had managed to touch each other as they fluttered. I taped them up, well actually I plastered them up, had to improvise with my little medical kit as I did not have the foresight to carry electrical tape.  I changed the fuse and did 320 odd miles all around Wales with no problem. I even know what the two little wires are they are the redundant wiring to a previous owners auxiliary running lights. :whistle: so problem/mystery solved...

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 21:25:58 »
 :fix: :lala:

come take a look at my brakes lol

Ride Coordinator

Offline Tusker

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 21:31:01 »
its complicated Mr Diver its much more complicated than that  lol

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 21:51:50 »
Typical previous owners... you should go round there with the boys  :violence-smack: I hear the end of August is a good time to pay them a visit..  :whistle:

lol

Am glad you found the fix  :fix: