Author Topic: What have you done with your bike today?  (Read 232510 times)

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
Re: What have you done with your bike today?
« Reply #1980 on: March 15, 2021, 20:23:19 »
'The exhaust system and silencer should be in such condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the motorcycle is not clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar motorcycle with a standard silencer in average condition.'

Purely subjective what is seen as 'unreasonably above', but it shouldn't be just a bit louder. This is the same reason I stopped using Cupar Motorcycles as they were looking to fail the KTM with baffled Leo Vinces replete with E mark & certification. Which were sold by them I should add.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Sea-Strom

• Bike: DL1050A (2022), Fat Bob (2023), Softail Standard (2023)
« Reply #1981 on: March 15, 2021, 20:40:18 »
Popped over to B&Q on the Big Z. Quite liked the background so took some shots and a had a fiddle with Photoshop when I got home. Had a bit of a blast on the way home!  :)

Offline Mr Nick

• Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #1982 on: March 17, 2021, 13:16:55 »
I was conscious that the clutch fluid on the KTM hadn't been changed in a few years so I added some Motorex oil to the order for the TS brake shoes. Water absorption isn't as much of an issue as it is with brake fluid systems, but there will still be some crap build up in it over time and that can screw up the slave cylinder, and that's £175 I'm happier not spending.
The last time it was changed, it was part of a major service I had done in Cupar so I have no idea what oil they used, but it was pretty black now.

It's a straightforward enough job as the bleed nipple is accessible enough, but the master reservoir is pretty small: enough for 3 pump throughs and then it draws air it transpires... Worst part is that I managed to discover that twice in the process, but it just means it's even cleaner now.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #1983 on: March 17, 2021, 13:34:21 »
On the brightside it's another job you haven't got to do once the lockdown is lifted and the road is calling.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1984 on: March 18, 2021, 18:57:24 »
Seeing 2112's fancy risers made me think about a set for myself again: I've considered it from time to time but never quite got around to buying them. I did a bit research about what could be accommodated without alterations and plumped for a set from Moto CNC that re 30mm up, 22mm back.
They arrived today so lunch hour was set aside to fit them. Not quite so quick it turned out. There was nothing technically wrong with how things were, but I just wasn't happy about the throttle cable routing. Back at it tonight and I decided that it would work better overall if the throttle was turned upside down, which can be done as the throttle assembly is separate from the switch gear. It so happens that the cable exit just slips under the bottom of the switch block with a little bit rubber grease to ease the way. After a few trial builds, I found a setup that suited me and everything was lined up from the rider perspective. The bases of the risers are slotted to allow for wider fitment range, but gives me around 10mm fore / aft adjustability as well.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #1985 on: March 18, 2021, 20:32:49 »
Fitted some up and backs to the Super Tenere last week. Due to the weird offset on the clamps the options on where to buy is limited. The risers are nice but the screws supplied are naff. I bought my own proper jobs instead.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #1986 on: March 18, 2021, 20:56:53 »
Decided the best way to stop myself nipping out on the bike on a nice day off was to remove chunks of it.
Then tried to fit the aux. lights, which can't don't and won't fit. This is the third kit KTM have sent to the dealers. The part number shows two different kits, both have the same installation leaflet, and both are very different. Who said the Teutonic types have no sense of humour?

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #1987 on: March 19, 2021, 17:13:33 »
VX800 - Arranged an MOT. Bled rear brake and adjusted brake light switch. Ran the engine for a few minutes to normal temperature.
SV650 - Taxed it and ran it to normal temperature Checked tyre pressures and oil sight glass.
Z900 RS Taxed it and then warmed the engine and then went for a 12 mile run round the block.

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #1988 on: March 19, 2021, 20:26:01 »
One expected job and one not today.
I had bought a new dual 2.1A USB socket for the KTM as the old one was only about 1A supply, and newer phones like a bit more than that. Pretty straightforward to pop the headlight unit out to get to the accessory plugs behind it to connect into, and the socket lives in the little glove compartment on top of the airbox.

I also had a quick look on the SP3's tank to see how much was in it and give it a stir up. I then randomly decided to check the lights on it and found that the brake lights weren't coming on with the front brake. Working fine with the rear so lamps and fuse fine, so had a waggle at the connections on the lever, to no avail. The connector lives in the front fairing so the bodywork had to come off. Not a huge task: the fasteners are mainly Dzuz quarter turn one so quick enough to remove it all. Played about with the connector to see if it was just a bad connection but no joy. Split the plug and checked the supply: good 12V coming to it. Checked the continuity and there was no change when pulling the lever, so something awry in the micro switch itself? Took the whole lever assembly off and had a look at it.

Nothing obvious so the switch came off and I found the issue. Rather than the lever directly triggering the switch, there's a ball bearing lives in a hole in the housing that connects the two, and it had rusted enough that it wouldn't move, It wasn't pushed by the lever, it was only the return spring of the micro switch that pushed it away when the lever was pressed to complete the circuit & trigger the light.

I measured the ball at 5mm, and the closest I had was 4.7mm, I reckoned the rust would add a little to the diameter so it was probably close enough. The smaller diameter would make it trigger slightly early, as long as it held the switch open when it was meant to.

It works fine as it turns out, so job done. Well, still have to re-assemble the bodywork and bleed that caliper, but at least it's the single one and not the linked side...

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #1989 on: March 19, 2021, 20:29:57 »
   Is anyone else not able to see these pictures ?
Ian Mc.

Offline Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #1990 on: March 19, 2021, 20:50:59 »
No I couldn’t see pictures either Ian

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #1991 on: March 19, 2021, 21:21:03 »
I got 'em.

Offline Keith60

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 900 GT Pro, Honda TRX 500FA ATV
« Reply #1992 on: March 19, 2021, 21:35:41 »
I can’t see them on my iPad? 
Never too old to ride!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #1993 on: March 19, 2021, 22:33:16 »
I can see them (android)  :thumb:

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #1994 on: March 20, 2021, 09:07:16 »
I can see them via my KTM app.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #1995 on: March 20, 2021, 09:19:21 »
I can see them on Android, with an orange filter  :grin:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #1996 on: March 20, 2021, 10:55:41 »
Can't see them on my typewriter...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Brockett

« Reply #1997 on: March 22, 2021, 18:24:46 »
MOT  day for the VX800. passed of course. Sunny but chilly day for the required 130 mile ride there and back. First time I have ever ridden the bike and I must say it is a very nice ride. Only hiccup was the Sat Nav didn't connect to the power supply  relay I rigged up. A twenty minute check with a meter revealed the trigger was not being supplied.  I had connected the trigger supply wire to the lighting circuit, overlooking the fact that, unlike modern bikes with always on lights, by riding with the lights off the trigger wire was not getting the required 12 volts. I turned the lights on for the ride home and the Sat Nav was happy.

Online Rusty Nuts

« Reply #1998 on: March 22, 2021, 18:40:57 »
Good job! Is it fuelling OK after your carb faffing?

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #1999 on: March 22, 2021, 18:55:06 »
I can’t see them on my iPad? 
  I can see them today on my iPad.What changed ?
Ian Mc.