Author Topic: Premium unleaded?  (Read 3697 times)

Offline STORMY

• Bike: Triumph 1200 GT Pro
Re: Premium unleaded?
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2020, 23:44:45 »
Mine drinks Shell V Power, for the amount of miles I do the extra cost is minimal even if it’s providing imperceptible improvements over the cheap stuff..........
It makes me feel good inside haha.
My car on the other hand gets the cheapest arse diesel I can get my dabs on, probably says more about how I see cars and bikes
If you ignore your teeth, eventually they’ll go away

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2020, 07:53:38 »
I know nothing.... but I believe bio fuels contain a % of water and that over time the water separates out causing rust in the petrol tank.  Prior to laying up over the winter months, I top up the tank and use petrol preserver but I'm not sure this protects against rust. In future I will check the fuel for the 'final fill up' does not contain bio fuels.
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2020, 19:55:31 »
Most stabilisers say they prevent corrosion: all my oldies get a dose of Motul stuff whenever they're filled.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline chris_yates

• Bike: DL1000
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2020, 10:13:48 »
I suspect the source of the confusion is that the manual says 'use premium unleaded gasoline' but then goes on to say 95 or higher octane rating which is standard unleaded in the UK. I believe the YouTuber had just returned from Asia where the octane ratings might be different on the standard unleaded.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2020, 13:18:11 »
Saw some E85 here yesterday for the first time. Has up to 85% ethanol and 15% petrol. Not quite sure what it can be used in. I might buy some for my side valve Briggs & Stratton ride on mower and see what happens........ It looks as though higher proportion ethanol based fuels will be the norm as time goes on. I remember Honda producing bikes modified to run on ethanol some years for use in South America. The ethanol was produced by fermentation. However, the whole thing ground to a halt and was scrapped because of all the waste resulting from the fermentation process. I wonder what will happen to it now it's being produced again only all over the world now?