Author Topic: HJC RPHA 90s modular helmet  (Read 2113 times)

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
HJC RPHA 90s modular helmet
« on: November 16, 2022, 18:54:24 »
This is a brief review of my HJC 90s flip front helmet. The first thing to note is that this helmet comes up a bit small compared with other brands (AGV, Arai, Shark, Shoei etc) and I had to order an XL rather than my usual L. The lining is not a plush as some helmets I've had before but looks incredibly hardwearing and is actually very comfortable & washable too. The micrometric ratchet fastening is a revelation and it's the first helmet I've had with this style of fastener and I have to say I am a convert. The helmet comes with a pinlock insert ready to install and it fitted very easily and without drama - it works brilliantly too. Sadly, the drop down tinted visor was fogging up a bit on my last run but it was a bit damp, I'll have to keep an eye on that one. speaking of the drop down visor it is very easy to operate with a side slider but I think it could do with being a bit darker? Possibly just me but I wa struggling into the low sun at the weekend. Thankfully it doesn't have an annoying gap at the bottom where brighter light gets in.
The flip front mechanism is simple to operate and the chinbar 'locks' into the full up position with ease. It's not a lock as such but a reassuring click and is easily lowered without having to faff about, just pull it down. The visor also locks soundly into place and the central location is second nature after a while. The lower front vent only allows a modest amount of ventilation into the visor area, but that may be because I am sitting behind a very tall and efficient screen on my tiger 1200 ? The top vent allows a lot of airflow across the scalp and this will be lovely in the summer months. The standard chin curtain is very snug and will have to be removed in the warmer months but is more than fine at the moment creating a very cosy environment.
I fitted the Sena 50S from my previous Shark helmet and it was the easiest install I've done taking about 5 mins from start to finish. The standard speaker cut outs are perfect and the padding between the speaker and my ear is quite thin meaning they are very clear and a lot louder. The Sena does create a little bit of wind noise under certain conditions but no worse than on any other helmet to be honest. All in all this is a very quiet helmet, especially for a modular item.
At £240 from The Sportsbike Shop I think this is a bit of a bargain as it's not plastic but a composite shell and weighing in at 1600g (XL) it's not too heavy either (relatively). The fit, finish and features are very good and the flip mechanism is a genuine joy to operate. Very happy and the metallic white matches my Tiger perfectly. If you are thinking about a flip front helmet you could do a lot worse than to try one of these, just remember to go up a size.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline 2112

Re: HJC RPHA 90s modular helmet
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 19:04:57 »
picture below -

Online Asmith61

• Bike: DL1000 K7, 2011 B-King 1300 , 1999 Triumph 1200 Trophy 2023 Harley Nightster 975
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 22:09:27 »
Hi 2112 that is a really great Review sounds like a great helmet glad you are pleased with it  :thumb:

Offline 2112

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 15:47:46 »
Cheers  :thumb:

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2022, 18:33:07 »
Great review. Too many people are quick to criticize a product but very slow to praise. Thank you, if I needed a new helmet I would definitely look at that. I bought a HJC helmet some years ago and two days later had the misfortune to test it. The helmet was knackered but my head was uninjured.
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2022, 19:19:40 »
Love my RPHA 90 and still perfect after 3 years and 10,000 miles.
Next will be a 90s Carbon when they get cheap as the new 91 is ruined for me by putting that bloody integrated Comms slot exactly where I want to mount my brand agnostic Cardo  ###

Offline 2112

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2022, 19:31:40 »
I have to say some helmet manufacturers need to wake up to the idea that some people (most, probably) will want to fit a bluetooth system and it may be of their choice not the helmet manufacturers 'special' that only fits one helmet... No need.

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2022, 20:45:56 »
2112 - As you previously wore a Shark and to my mind they are shaped for round heads ( as opposed to AGV wich suit narrower heads - like mine) would you say the shell is similar in shape to the Shark?
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline 2112

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2022, 13:00:04 »
An interesting question Brockett, I would say it's more AGV esque in fit than the Shark. The Spartan has a different fit to most Shark helmets I've tried and the HJC has a very 'natural' fit. It's actually my 4th HJC helmet and I've not had a spot of trouble with any of them. Fit wise I've had a few AGV's, a few Shoei's over the years and one or two Bell helmets which I find to be a very similar fit. I've had a couple of Arai's but I've never been 100% convinced about the fit, or finish for that matter. In fact, I had a Tour X 3 and it was probably the worst helmet I've ever owned, desperately poor build quality and zero value for money.

Offline 2112

Offline 2112

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2023, 13:27:27 »
Just a little follow up to update my review, having covered some 2,000 miles since I got the helmet. The fit has stayed pretty much exactly the same and is nice & snug without digging in anywhere. This is an all-day comfortable lid and it's very quiet. The ventilation is OK, nothing special but adequate and you do need to open the top vent to allow enough air to move to prevent steaming up. The drop down visor is great but I've found it's nowhere near dark enough (and this is Northern England) so I've now got a dark tinted visor so I can go 'double dark' on sunny days. The visor change is brilliantly simple and very quick - 10/10 to HJC for that. All in all I'm very happy with the helmet and I would buy another one if anything happened to this one.