Author Topic: High Vision clothing  (Read 2362 times)

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: High Vision clothing
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2023, 07:23:30 »
You have addressed the the area from the waist up. However, to me from the attached pix, the bottom half of both of the rider and the bike does nothing to attract attention. The fact  that this section is too dark and  would blend in / fade into the road surface under low light conditions.
I would suggest consider in adding a set of LEDs / spots / driving lights, mounted roughly at foot peg level, to make the lower section of the bike to stand out more.   Even neon gaiters on the front forks may be an option.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2023, 09:00:28 »
Oldleathers.
My views haven't changed but if it gives you more confidence to ride, why not. It'll be interesting if you report back at the end of summer with any observations you may have on the visibility it has or hasn't provided.
Whether or not we can see you on a photograph is not really that relevant to riding on a road. But that's just my two'penneth.
Upt.

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2023, 11:06:27 »
The jacket helps there's no doubt about that.
Don't take this the wrong way Oldleathers but the worse thing for your viability is your bike.  Low and single main light and no headlights where they should be but dim running lights. Yamaha got it the wrong way round.
I had a tracer behind me last week in my car, hard to see, not blinding at all like his mates Fz1 or vfr .
 I'd run both beams on or get aftermarket lights.
Don't be offended as a tracer9 is a bike I'm very interested in.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2023, 17:06:41 »
oldleathers
Wear what you want,ride what you want ,ride how you want.
But even if you end up lit up like a dayglo xmas tree don't get complacent.They MAY still not see you.
Touching all the wood around me as I type this,even thinking about this subject gives me the willies.

Offline Oldleathers

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 9
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2023, 18:42:32 »
Yes indeed Porter the day time running lights are quite dim, the other light that's on is the dipped beam and the one that's not on is the main beam. There's a bloke on youtube who rides with his main beam on but has adjusted it down because he doesn't ride at night, not something I would personally do.
At the end of the day Mr Dick Head who pulled out on me annoyed me more than anything as I've always been a defensive rider but not boringly slow.
Here on the llyn Peninsula it's silly season the start of the six weeks holiday and Mr Dick Head had the must have roof box on his car a sure sign anything can happen. A week Saturday the Eisteddfod starts for a week so I'm hanging up the oldleathers for a week... unless I go with nigel's idea of a Christmas tree on the front ha ha.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2023, 19:12:01 »
I have often thought about replacing the flash/horn button with a rocket launcher arming switch.

WHOOSH.......KEBANG! ........   and I ride serenely under the falling wreckage onto the next bend.

Or is that just me...........

Ho Hum

Offline Oldleathers

• Bike: Yamaha Tracer 9
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2023, 19:22:08 »
Now we're talking...

Offline nigel s

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2023, 19:36:55 »
I'm thinking Tom Cruise ,mission impossible.

But taller.

And a bit less of the scientology/teeth.

Ho Hum

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2023, 18:43:06 »
I agree with Barbel Mick that people are taught to pass a test, not to drive. Both my daughters have done just that. Can't drive, don't even really have proper control of the peddles yet can drive legally. All their friends refuse to reverse out of our drive which could be 2 way it's so wide. Scares the hell out of me.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2023, 19:46:39 »
stevewestern
That would have me hiding their keys with worry ......brrrr hate even to think of that.
Have you tried taking them out on the bike,a few wheelies and the odd stoppy combined with a cheeky smidsy would enlighten them maybe.
Or scare the shit out of them so they never drive again.
Sorry .........but everyone has to go through the process of gaining experience,it's just that watching it can be agony.
At least driving the odds are in their favour.
Imagine if they had a 250 to learn the road on.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2023, 16:43:07 »
A lot of my friends all park facing into a space, I always reverse in (even in the supermarket). I always reverse into my drive too.

I'm a very nervous passenger in a car so normally entertain myself with my phone so I don't watch, but absolutely fine driving or riding... explain that one!

Offline nigel s

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2023, 16:48:29 »
Wait till you get the joy of having a 6 foot four 95kilo  nervous pillion who doesn't like your line and shifts it over a foot.
Who the f@ck would do that?

Ho Hum

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2023, 22:51:20 »
I almost always reverse into a parking space. I was in the recce platoon in my battalion for almost four years and always reversed my Landrover in because I never knew how fast I may need to drive it out. Also, when I was young my dad told me, half joking, when I start driving always revers into a parking space as you don't know how drunk you may be when you drive out. How times have changed, thank god.   :)
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline rikpward

• Bike: DL1050XT, Moto Morini 350 Strada, Buell XB9R Firebolt, Yamaha MT09
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2023, 21:05:17 »
High vis does increase the chance of being seen, marginally, as do running lights. If you want to gain someone's attention when you approach a junction to the left or right, you can consider mild swerving/jinking so the movement of your lights gets the attention of the driver. As others have said, does all of this really help? One major factor to the problem is the sequard effect, whereby, people look, but don't see - this is one of the main causes why the vast majority of accidents occur within 5 miles of the person's home. The brain takes in images like a camera, and the quicker you scan, the bigger the blanks. The memorised images of the location you're familiar with will fill in the blanks. Anything within those blanks (bicycle, motorcycle, car etc) is not registered. The solution is to improve one's standard of riding.

Offline sjrainsford

• Bike: DL650 L4 and 2008 Vespa GTS300 Super
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2023, 08:32:22 »
I was taught similar by my riding instructor, when approaching junctions etc, weave the bike in and out slightly within your lane.  Apparently this vastly increases your chances of being registered by the person waiting at the junction.   

Offline Fife Davie

• Bike: DL1000 K8
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2023, 11:34:25 »
Best bang for buck Gortex, yeah they're used but mine was flawless. Never had a drop of rain or wind get through.
If its good enough for professional riders like The Police, then it's good enough for me.
Unfortunately lost it on my last house move.
And only any good if you don't mind looking like a copper.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2023, 13:55:07 »
How the hell can you lose something so highly visible?

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2023, 14:46:19 »
Tests have shown that high visibility motorcycle clothing and can be looked at but never seen.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2023, 14:59:18 »
Just ask Brockett

Offline Andy_J

• Biker since 1979
  • Biking since 1979 Lincolnshire
  • Bike: Vstrom 650, Transalp 750, z750s, Triumph Thunderbird 900.
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2023, 10:42:05 »
Hi viz jackets and vests are OK for the building site or warehouse. No self respecting biker should ever wear one especially as they probably don't help idiots in cars, vans and lorries to spot you especially when they are messing with their mobile phones. You are better just riding as if all other road users are out to kill you. As for those so called bikers that wear Dayglo 'Polite' jackets, well they are in a different class of nutter. I won't even acknowledge those idiots.
Lincolnshire Biker. I enjoy touring and exploring. I love motorcycle camping.