Author Topic: GPR Exhaust for the DL650  (Read 10324 times)

Offline danieldavis1982

Re: GPR Exhaust for the DL650
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 21:22:02 »
Another video with  different angles.  Riding around the malvern area, forest of dean and newent.

Really glad that I have found a forum that appreciate what I have made.  Makes it all worth while.

Thanks people

Offline raggydan

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 12:12:27 »
have we got 3 people yet to qualify for the discount?

I really,really want 1 and I'll sulk if If I don't get a shiny new GPR  :neen:

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
  • Bike: DL650A L6, K8 DL1000 & Tenere 700
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 12:20:04 »
Quote from: "raggydan"
have we got 3 people yet to qualify for the discount?

I really,really want 1 and I'll sulk if If I don't get a shiny new GPR  :neen:

Well, there's me plus you so far...Come on people  :GRR:
*** Bikers Campsite in West Wales ***

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Visit the V-Strom.co.uk shop today!

Offline danieldavis1982

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 13:31:56 »
I would love to help out, if only I had enough money for another wee.  Then I would get another gpr

Anonymous

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 14:22:44 »
I would buy of these exhausts, but I really need to know if it will foul the bash plate first. There is very little room between the OE exhaust and the bash plate, and cutting the bash plate can't be done as there is a hanger plate along the back of the plate, obviously you couldn't cut this.
So I will have to pass until this clearance issue is verified and doing away with the bash plate is not an option for me as I see it as an essential item due to the vulnerability of the oil cooler and oil filter.

Offline raggydan

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 14:56:08 »
But surely if the Gpr uses the stock downpipes why would it interfere with the skidplate.
I'm pretty sure they would have to run the along the same lines as the oe pipes so as to
match up with the same fixing points

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 15:13:02 »
But surely if the Gpr uses the stock downpipes why would it interfere with the skidplate.
I'm pretty sure they would have to run the along the same lines as the oe pipes so as to
match up with the same fixing points

Exactly what I was thinking

Learn to spell! There's a big difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit

Anonymous

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 15:28:30 »
The GPR exhaust attatches to the front OE down pipe at the middle of the inside of the bash plate. There only has to be slight downward angle and it will foul the bash plate.
Its all very well saying it looks like it will fit, or it will probably be OK... that isn't good enough.

Offline Quoman

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2010, 17:22:06 »
Quote from: "milano_jon"
Do exhaust mods bugger the warranty? I've only had the bike 15 days!

no, my dealer is fitting one on my bike which is about as old as yours.
ARE YOU READY?
3RD JANUARY IS LOOMING, TIME TO BECOME COMPLIANT
http://www.ecuclinic.com

Offline Lee

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2010, 17:38:44 »
Id definitely have one just waiting for some cash from the people I've lent it too! cannot you ask if we give him a name of or call it a discount name of v-strom.co.uk on a message could he do the price cheaper for them that want one but cannot afford one at this time!! :thumb:  :shrug:
Damn This Stupid Thing, Why Won't It Work!!!

Offline danieldavis1982

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 21:38:44 »
I must agree with Jasper on the caution side. No good spending 250+ on the can, then find out you can not have all your customised bits fitted as well.

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 22:26:03 »
OK, someone has to do it. I'll buy one and report back (I have a Skid Pan fitted) :GRR:

Offline madmadmonkey

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 22:39:03 »
Hi

I am a new member and I have a dl650x k7 (skid plate, engine bars). I also have givi side racks arriving soon.  from watching the video and reading the fitting guide I can see no reason why this won't fit my bike.  At the discount price offered for members here I am willing to give it a go.

Put me down as the third person needed for the forum discount price.

I will of course take some piccys etc and let you blokes know the outcome (although I fear my report will not be anywhere near as in depth as the fitting guide already on this thread!!)  
Much appreciation for submitting the fitting guide.  No doubt I will need it when I come to fit the pipe!!

How do we go about paying the bloke for these at the discount price?  Let me know the proceedure and count me in.

Thanks

Offline raggydan

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 18:51:58 »
Mine arrived yesterday and I'll have it fitted by the end of the week. I'll take pics and try to do a how to.

Online Fat Rat

• Administrator
  • Bloke/Geezer/Fella
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 18:53:15 »
Mine arrived yesterday and I'll have it fitted by the end of the week. I'll take pics and try to do a how to.

What price did you pay?

Offline Dan J

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 12:38:42 »
A couple of observations on the Wee GPR (aluminium) exhaust...

1) The welding on the two into one/lambda probe pipe was pretty crap.  I thought it would be OK but once I got the exhaust on the bike it was blowing at one of the joins where the welding was poorly done.  I was buggered if I was going to take the whole exhaust back off to send the part back so as it was *just* accessible I got a local welder to touch up the welding for me.  Maybe I was just unlucky and got a "Friday afternoon" pipe but examine yours carefully before you put on

2) The rear muffler/silencer does feel like a quality component unlike the rest of the piping and looks good on the Wee as you can see from earlier photos.  It is much narrower than the original exhaust so you'll have no problem with pannier racks etc (I have Givi ones fitted - there's much more clearance than the original exhaust

3) It's a pain in the arse to remove the original exhaust if you have an OEM belly pan fitted.  See other post in this topic on this subject

4) The original exhaust is surprisingly heavy and the bike feels physically lighter when moving around the garage for having had this removed.  The cat is huge in the Wee exhaust which cannot be helping this weight.

5) I fitted mine without the internal baffle but left the end one in the can.  This doesn't look right if you remove it but I don't think you'd need to.  At standstill and lower revs the exhaust is much bassier and a bit louder.  It sounds great to me.  But best of all, at higher revs and where you're at a low throttle opening (e.g. at a steady 75mph on the motorway) the exhaust actually sounds QUIETER than the original to me - by a margin as well.  For me this is perfect as I love the extra noise around town and the new sound of the bike but don't want ringing ears from a long journey

6) I don't think the exhaust has any impact at all on the top end but I wasn't looking for that.  HOWEVER... the bottom and mid-range torque and response is massively improved.  It almost feels like I've got a bigger engine in there.  The stock exhaust is pretty restrictive thanks to both cat and the tortuous route the exhaust follows so freeing all of this up makes a big difference - the engine isn't working against the cat and pipe at lower revs and it really shows.  Much faster pick up from low revs and the bike feels eager from 3-5k in a way it never did before.  Exactly the effect I was after!

All in all I think the exhaust is good for the price.  There are few options for the Wee (particularly K7 on - this apparently fits all) and everything else is much more expensive.  If you go for it do check the welds on that link pipe very carefully before you fit though...