Author Topic: Pillion advice  (Read 614 times)

Offline Berty5000

• Bike: DL650
Pillion advice
« on: March 26, 2024, 17:40:20 »
My gf gets a sore back when she's riding with me (on the bike). I think she might be leaning forward a bit to clamp on to me and I prefer her to hold on and form a more compact mass with me, rather than wobbling around separately at the back, which screws up the handling. It's a 650XT. Trying to think of a way to both have fairly straight backs whilst sitting properly and comfortably.

Any of you been through similar with your ladies (or boyfriends if you are homosexual - doesn't matter either way) ?

Thanks

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Pillion advice
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 19:19:34 »
My wife hates the idea of not having the top box behind her to lean against. In fact, we're delaying test riding the 800 until one of the shops fits a top box & panniers.
Although there is a slight gap between us, which is great because we're not crowded, she sits quite upright when leaning against the back box & usually has her hands between us, or in the warmer weather, on her knees. With bar risers & the bars pulled back a few mm I'm reasonably upright too.
She's a great pillion & I wouldn't know that she's on the back until I corner a bit too fast, then I am made aware she's there!  :violence-smack:
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Berty5000

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 19:56:44 »
Thanks Mick,

I have the XT top box. Is that safe to sit against then? Also, are you saying your missus doesn't really hold on to anything, even at speed on a motorway?

It's definitely possible for us to have a gap between us based on the room available but I encourage her to do otherwise. Probably brings her to the edge of the raised part of the seat. If not necessary, we could try your way.

OK, probably a dumb question but I don't want to take risks with her safety: if we are doing 80 up the M6 and she is sat more separately from me on the higher part of the seat, even against the top box, and just holding the rear grab handles - is she going to stay on?

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 20:12:00 »
They probably wouldn't sell back rest pads for top boxes if they weren't up to a bit of leaning on. She'll be fine if you don't ride like you do when solo. No aggressive braking or acceleration and no ducking down at 80 to let the full force of the wind slam into her. My wife used to put her head sideways against my back and nod off on motorways. Never fell off. Pity, really.

Offline Berty5000

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2024, 20:14:44 »
Hahahaha!!!

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2024, 20:15:17 »
No she doesn't hold on to anything at any speed & the back box is fine to lean against, she won't be putting that much weight against it. Try it yourself by pushing against it.
I'm not sure why you, or her, might think she would fall off? You'd have to lean a long way over to even get near. Although not recommended my wife often falls to sleep on a long motorway trip, not a full on hour or two but a few minutes definitely. (I quite enjoy the peace & quiet!  :whistle:)
How long has she been riding pillion? If not long, then obviously she may be a bit nervous or tense? Take it easy & don't go too far at first, with gentle acceleration & gentle braking.
I choose to roll of the throttle early & kill speed with the rear brake when I can. Not possible all the time but it stops the pillion being forced backwards & worse still sliding forward under hard braking, having to keep shuffling back to the natural seating position. 
Have you got panniers? If so, maybe she'd feel more secure with those fitted along side her? But then you've both got to get on & off with them fitted, which can be a bit of an art in itself.  :)
Mick

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2024, 20:24:14 »
Many moons ago, my now ex wife would regularly fall asleep on the back of the rg250 gamma MK3 ... :grin:
My sister took a pic on the Autoroute in France from the car was in along side us, my ex wife was asleep in the back of the Speed triple, slumped against me..  she was stunned that was even possible..
 I am a pretty smooth rider so no sudden braking and acceleration etc..
I would suggest your partner needs to relax and not be constantly tense..

Offline Berty5000

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2024, 20:25:30 »
Mick,

I don't know why, I just imagine it is necessary to hold on to something with the hands to be safe and secure on the bike. But this is all good news anyway because it means we can probably sit more comfortably than we have been. Thanks for the tips anyway.

Doc,

That's an interesting idea and as they show on the image, the two are able to sit separately. On our case, would save her head butting me and allow her to see better over my shoulder being a little higher on the raised seat. My only reservation about it is if it results in an even more grizzly outcome for me in an accident by catching on to something (god forbid that event!)

Offline Berty5000

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2024, 20:27:58 »
Thanks Si, definitely a perception thing going on here. We will try new ways next time we go out on the bike  :thumb:

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 04:29:51 »
As others have said taking a pillion is a different skill to riding solo, SMOOTH is the key.
Also riding on the pillion is a skill,it takes practice.
I have been riding for 40 plus years , but am a terrible pillion 'cos I rarely do it.
If you are worried about her coming off at 80,slow down to 70,at least till you become a "unit" on the bike.
I used to ride as primary transport ( no car ) so previous girlfriends got plenty of practice and got used to my style of riding, to the point they would anticipate me, but that is a two way street,ultimately the pillion should set the style ,the rider adapting to them.Then they could move around on the back to get ready for the upcoming road situation,closer for twisties,back for boring bits or whatever, knowing that I wasn't going to pitch the bike around at a certain point.
When that happens , everyone relaxes and gets comfy , and it becomes enjoyable for both.

Offline UK_Vstrom650

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 06:39:26 »
Everything said above is good advice. We also have a topbox with backrest which is better for comfort. They don't need to be wedged against you. The bikes also have grab handles which they can hold on to if needed, but as said above, the other half would fall asleep on motorways (you find this out when braking as you get headbutted).
Am sure your other half is, but check they lean with the bike for bends. My brother's ex used to lean away from bends so he'd struggle to steer and have to fight the bike.
I'd also suggest a good set of comms so you can talk - useful to check they're OK, and for deciding on breaks etc.
If you're going long distance, regular breaks will make it more enjoyable.

Offline pb

• Bike: V Strom 650 2015 in blue
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 06:52:52 »
We tried the handles that fit around the riders waist on a previous bike , they were OK but not great. We now have a givi top box with a back rest which works really well and my Wife says is very comfortable, she doesn't need to hold  on only when someone does something stupid in front and we need to stop quickly. Comms are a good idea but it can mean that it's not such a relaxing ride :icon_wink: My wife regularly falls a sleep on the back, she says it is something to do with my nice smooth riding. :lala:

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 19:35:24 »
It scares me to think that someone would fall asleep on the back of my bike, I would expect them to fall off. I took my ex wife on the back of a very fast loan bike (a BMW RR something or other) and she did a lot of screaming. It was about the time that The Spice Girls  were singing that song so I just went faster. That was the last time she went on my bike.  :roll:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2024, 07:23:44 »
My wife used to fall asleep on the back with me.

One day she decided she had had enough of being on the back and learnt to ride herself. She passed her test when she was 40, and had her own bike.👍

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2024, 08:37:22 »
My wife used to go pillion a lot before she got her own 125cc bike.

She would just sit, leaned slightly on the top box and tuck her thumbs into the belly band on my jacket.
If we were doing a fast sweeping road, she'd hold on firmly to the grab rail, not because she felt scared, she raid she was more firmly connected and it felt more like a roller coaster  :auto-dirtbike:

She fell asleep a few times when we were doing long runs, but there was one time we both fell asleep coming back from Scotland...  :shock:
Slightly more of a problem particularly as I was slowing to walking speed coming up to the stopping point on the motorway exit when she woke up and kicked her leg out, unbalancing the bike.
It wasn't long after she decided she was going to do her bike test and get a bigger bike.
She now has a muscle bike that a fair bit bigger than mine.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2024, 08:38:35 »
Phil, we were the other way. Deb has had a full licence for years & owned a few motorcycles, then after a break of a  few years she thought she'd have another go, but after riding my bike a few times she had lost confidence & decided just riding pillion was the way to go.
It's something I couldn't do, you need a lot of confidence in the rider, but I think the fact she did ride herself makes her a better pillion.  :)
Mick

Offline Phild

• Bike: Suzuki Vstrom 1050XT
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2024, 08:50:06 »
My wife’s name was Deb….never Debbie! Deb or Debra….and a Taff to boot!🫣

She never went as a pillion again.

She toured all over Europe following me….. her sense of direction was dreadful, so never complained at being tail end Charlie.😁

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2024, 10:08:06 »
I agree with Mick, Jen was a decent pillion before getting her own bike, after ridding the 125cc for a couple of months I'd hardly notice her on the back.

Last August's meet was the first time she'd been pillion on a long ride for some time, I don't think it slowed me down leading the group, but I did realise how quiet it was riding on my own. lol

Saying that intercoms make a big difference - you can chat, but your pillion can also easily tell you they want to move around, needs a pee, stretch the legs ect. - all adds to the comfort for them knowing they can tell you they want something.

Ride Coordinator

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2024, 12:57:01 »
   My wife dozed off on the pillion of my Pan regularly if we had a long day out,I could tell she was dozing as her helmet would bang the back of mine when her head drooped and I would bash her on the leg and start talking on the intercom to wake her up 😂.
Ian Mc.