Author Topic: Suzuki touring screen 2014 on Vstrom 1000  (Read 880 times)

Offline porter

• Bike: DL1000 L4
Suzuki touring screen 2014 on Vstrom 1000
« on: July 25, 2023, 23:00:25 »
I use a Givi airflow on my vstrom in winter, autumn time and switch to a MRA in spring, summer. I've been doing this for 8 years, I like both screens but time has took its toll with both heavily scratched, particularly the top section of the airflow.
 So I thought I'd buy a new screen. Looking about I seen a nice genuine Suzuki touring on ebay in real good nick and a cheap starting bid. I turned out to be the only bidder so got it for 30 quid.
Fitted it today, in the middle  position, took a 100 mile run  and it's a better speed limiter than taking  the wife on the pillion! Anything over 70mph and the buffeting is horrendous, at 80mph a can't read car number plates 20ft in front of me. I did try all three angles the screen can go, middle was best. I'll drop the screen till the lowest setting tomorrow and try again but it's only about 1cm.
Now I know why it was for sale so new and I was the only bidder!

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: Suzuki touring screen 2014 on Vstrom 1000
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2023, 05:04:02 »
I have used the Madstad or Palmer mounts on my last 4 bikes.Pricey but....no buffeting at any speed.
The last 2 bikes I just got the mount only which saved a bit .With a 6mm drill bit in a drill and a little ingenuity you can pretty much mount any screen at any height/angle.So all those old screens in the back of the garage can be tried out and tailored for personal preference,maybe even your Suzuki touring screen?.For me the airflow under has been the key,if I block the gap with my hand its amazing how noisy it is compared to normal .Makes even your favourite screen work better.
Here with a KTM smt 990 screen on.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2023, 09:11:33 »
It's strange innit, how can something that is destined to get ridden into the airflow at high speed be so badly designed.
I think Nigel is right. It's airflow up the back which helps, since fitting the Puig adjustable flip things got a lot quieter on The B. I was already a convert after running a MRA two piece touring on my last bike.
I'm not a fan of a sanitised riding experience either but manufacturers should be able to do a better job when it comes to seats, handlebars, mirrors, pegs, screens etc.
Look on the bright side, your fuel consumption will go up and tickets will go down. Although paracetamol isn't cheap these days.
Upt.

Offline porter

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 10:54:48 »
I placed the screen in the lowest holes this morning and I'll see how it goes tomorrow as the bike is up for its mot.
  I'm sure I could space out the bottom of the screen some way or buy an adjustable bracket but if it doesn't work out tomorrow it's back to my MRA and this thing on Ebay!  Though the chances of selling it after this post are slim. Still some mug will buy it, oh that was me!  lol

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 11:13:58 »
 lol

Offline porter

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 17:16:54 »
No better in the lower position,  maybe worse but I did remove the tall seat I usually use and fit the standard seat just incase the mot tester was on the smaller side.
I'll try the tall seat over the weekend and take a 4mm allen key with me and try all three positions.
 Bike passed its mot OK

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 17:37:41 »
When I took my smt into Barkshires for the mot I forgot to take the tail pack off.I watched as Shuggs the tester at 5 foot 6? ,hopped on ,wheeled it about,did the brake test pulled it off the tester backwards(difficult for me at 6 foot 4) without putting a foot wrong. I guess practice makes perfect.They are a KTM dealer.
Ho Hum

Offline porter

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2023, 23:21:40 »
Suzuki flip touring screen now back in its box where it belongs. Will be placed on the shelf labelled " shite of Ebay"
 Back to my MRA screen.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2023, 11:23:15 »
One "genuine Suzuki screen, pre-loved" appearing on a well known auction site near you any time now.
Screens are a pain. They're all expensive, and most of 'em either don't suit us or even make things worse.

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2023, 15:31:10 »
I saved myself a load of expense on screens with he varadero.. STD screen gave me a headache.  After searching for "the answer" I couldn't find any consistent answer, so picked up a small elcheapo spoiler thingy off the jungle site for £22.. as an experiment.
Looked at some of the new fancy bikes and did some research and installed it on the screen..  important bit is to have the gap between the screen and spoiler which creates a cleaner flow  up behind the spoiler..
Wow.. bike is totally different.  Clean airflow no rattling head.. keeps the rain off at A road speeds and above...
The Strom has a Givi screen on, no idea what one.. it's OK.. doesn't cause me any issues apart from the view through it is a bit lousey in the dark.. so has to be in the low position which isn't ideal.. was looking for a STD screen and try the elcheapo on it..

Offline porter

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2023, 20:50:47 »
The MRA screen I normally use has a wee blade on it and works OK and I have a Givi air for colder weather but there both well used and this flip screen was in mint condition and cheap, now I know why!  Doubt I'd ever buy a flip type screen again. I'm sure you could fix it someway or other but I can't be bothered as I have a screen that works.  Just glad I didn't pay the 160 quid list or even the 100 quid discounted price on ebay.