Author Topic: Booking.com Be on your guard.  (Read 357 times)

Offline Lincsman

Booking.com Be on your guard.
« on: January 10, 2024, 15:08:49 »
OK, I just thought I'd share this you, so nobody gets caught out. Now like maybe a high percentage of you out there, I use Bookins.com to search for hotels.
This morning I get an email from a B&B I'm staying in, in August stating that there was a problem with my credit card being accepted, and if I didn't take action now this might result in my booking being cancelled. Right away I thought this is strange, as I've never had this problem before, and anyway I always pay at the property and never use my card to pay for the B&B.
So not clicking on the link provided, I went into the Bookings.com website, and sure enough there was a message from the property to say that this message was NOT from them.
I've since found out the following info

The company, which is one of the biggest hotel and holiday websites in the world, has not itself been hacked. Instead, criminals have tricked their way into the administration portals of individual hotels that use the service.

So please be careful with what you open, and Yes, I'm not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but to just be mindful that these moronic idiots will stupp to whatever level they need to go to, to get your money.
Fed up with anti motorcycle legislation ??. 
Then get off your backside and join the Motorcycle Action Group. Protect your right to ride.
DO YOU CARE ??
https://www.mag-uk.org/

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Booking.com Be on your guard.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2024, 17:03:59 »
It happens a lot, not just with Booking.com.
I've had emails from HMRC, TV licencing, BT & others, all telling me I owe money or they are unable to collect an owed amount & I need to click the link & update my card details.
The delete button is your friend in these circumstances.
But before you delete you can also report them to the relevent 'authority'. I'm not sure what can be done but it only takes a few minutes so not a problem.
Most of the big organisations have their own phishing reporting procedure & email address but here's a .Gov one .......
https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/phishing-scams/report-scam-email
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2024, 17:47:30 »
Thank you for the good advice. I have a booking with a hotel at Bristol airport made through Booking.com. I fly in too late to go strait home and decided that a nice hot, deep bath and a cosy room will be better  than bussing it back to Exeter then waking my friend to pick me up early hours.

I will watch out for such messages. Thank you again.   :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline crump

• Bike: DL650XT L5, Yamaha FJR1300
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2024, 17:56:39 »
Thanks for that, worth knowing, we use booking.com a lot.
Something we noticed last year, a couple of the hotels took the money for our booking a couple of weeks before we went, they did tell us they were going to do it so no problem, it wasn't an issue for us.....I guess a few have been let down last minute and it's probably a bit of a pain for the small independent hotels we tend to use.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2024, 19:40:45 »
Thanks for the tip ... 👍

Like many, we use Booking.Com all the time when travelling but mostly choose establishments where we can pay once we arrive. 
Anyways , we shall keep an eye out for this scam .

Thanks 👍
Chief trouble maker 🙂