Author Topic: Thinking about getting another bike.  (Read 800 times)

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
Re: Thinking about getting another bike.
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2023, 07:12:16 »
Nigel, I do have 'something different' in the works.

I am about 80% of the way to completing a 1975 Triumph T140, which came to me as a pile of boxes and bits. A limited budget has dictated the speed of progress, but it will be finished by spring.

It's a custom build and has named itself Slow Progress... mostly because I have had all the bits since 1994!

Well, I thought I had all the bits, until I started the build.

Socks; thanks for the offer.

I'm not doing anything about this idea until spring, partly because of the weather and partly because after having a new flat roof put on the back of my house... I'm broke.
The older I get, the better I was.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2023, 08:52:39 »
T140,nice.
Couple of weekends ago I stopped on the Bury road for a nice silver/blue one.
I thought he had broken down but he had forgotten to turn the reserve back and run out of petrol.
Been there.
We had a chat and he turned down my offer of a top up ( I always carry a syphon tube) 'cos he had a mate down the road coming.
He was gone when I came back an hour later.
Should be good when you get her done :thumb:

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2023, 18:11:34 »
I've owned a BMW GSA and was glad to get rid of it, it let me down too many times and was expensive although it was the best motorcycle I have ridden. I have a 2012 DL650 and love it, it does everything I've ever asked of it and does it well.

I've recently bought a DL1000 2014 with the 1035 engine same as the 1050. I've not had chance to put more than 1000 miles on it yet but I love it too. I bought it to do a European trip next spring as I thought it would be a better bike for 1000's of quick miles but it uses a lot more fuel than the 650 and will no doubt go through tyres quicker.

I now wonder if I made the right decision.  Anyway, I'm going to keep the 1000 and sell the 650 when I get home but if I had a garage, I would definitely keep both. The 650 is a perfect bike.  :thumb:

Edit. I have to push my bike on gravel while parking at home, the 1000 is heavier and I have a bad back  :roll:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline NeilM

• Bike: DL650A L4
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2023, 07:28:10 »
Thanks for the pretty much perfect reply.

I don't have a gravel drive, but it does slope up from the road to the garage. I am lazy / sensible and ride the bike into the garage, as pushing it would be a struggle.

The older I get, the better I was.