Author Topic: Traill Attack 3 or Anakee Adventure (thoughts)?  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Traill Attack 3 or Anakee Adventure (thoughts)?
« on: October 07, 2020, 17:38:37 »
So I've had a year and a bit on my Vee and the Anakee IIIs it came on were far from new when I got it (DOT date of Apr 2015 so probably a good few years use).
They have been damn good and seem to wear pretty well whilst giving decent grip. Rear is fairly well squared and the front has a bit of a flat centre as well so, because my magpie is a sod, I'm looking at fresh boots before winter kicks in.
I pretty much ride on roads but often very gravely B roads and I would like to venture on to the odd forestry road or campsite track. Coming from a lot of MTB, I am used to the slight squirm of a knobbly tyre more than the firmness of a slick if anything.
Want to go matching front and rear and I'd like to support my local fitter who currently has Anakee Adventures or Trail Attack 3s in my sizes as dual sport options.
Any major job stoppers on either of those. I'm desperately trying not to buy the Michelins just because of the Long Way Up but I did basically buy an Adventure(ish) bike because of the first two series so it's not out of the question  lol

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
Re: Traill Attack 3 or Anakee Adventure (thoughts)?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 18:42:17 »
One thing I can say against Anakee Adventures is they won't last you as long as the Anakee 3s, but that's it.

They are my tyre of choice on my F8 , I'm around 5k in, they are great in the wet/dry and although they are not completely worn out they are starting to feel a little off so a new set is will be fitted soon .

I can't comment on the conti's but looking at the two sets I'd say the Michelin's are a better bet off road.  :thumb:   
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 19:36:13 »
Cheers

I'm easing my way back into riding and I like the idea of something adaptable. A bit of touring will usually kill a rear through squaring off first anyway so I like the idea of something dual compound. I'd rather get my money's worth out of the whole tyre in 6-8k rather than replace a tyre at the same mileage which is fine at the edges but functions as a centre stand.

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 22:11:06 »
Have a quick look at this video: that's what has pretty much sold me on a set of Anakee Adventures soon.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 22:42:48 »
Cheers, I must confess I watched that a little while back hence my leaning towards them myself. It's a ridiculously in depth test and certainly a lot more adventurous off road than I'll be getting any time soon. When price is the only negative it makes the decision easy I guess, can I afford them.

Offline Mr Nick

• Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 00:02:23 »
Same thought process as myself. At £230 the pair fitted to the KTM by the local Kawasaki dealers, they're not expensive: so the only minus point isn't really one at all.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 16:54:35 »
Booked in for tomorrow lunch time  :lala:

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2020, 15:04:57 »
Bullet bitten. I certainly like the aesthetic and they obviously feel nice given I've never ridden the bike without squared off tyres before. Time will tell and I'll report back for reference material 😂.
Cheers for the input.

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2020, 16:47:38 »
You'll find the bike steers so much more sharply with new tyres. It's amazing how much you subconsciously compensate for a square tyre and just 'ride around' the issue. I nearly crashed my Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 on new (but scrubbed in) tyres as it turned in so much faster than it had the day before !
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Mr Nick

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2020, 19:43:45 »
I remember taking Cupar's loan SV out for a long ride while my AL2 was getting a service and the tyres were about as square as you can get and wouldn't turn at all: when I got my bike back I did the same as you & damn near dropped it at the first corner.

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline Rixington43

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 17:08:48 »
Once I'd nipped back and got the fitter to swap the admittedly ambidextrous front wheel to the correct rotating direction (I hadn't noticed either as it's a slightly odd tread pattern on the front) I got out for a very short ride last week.
I'm still fairly cautious on a bike but I did notice a marked difference. Turn initiation is indeed much livelier but after that it's so much smoother as you don't have to stand the bike up onto the ridge of the tyre and then drop it off a cliff. Knowing I have a proper contact patch across the width of the tyre is nice as well. Coming from an MTB background, just seeing a tyre with blocks and feeling that tiny bit of movement in them gives me confidence, especially in the wet.
Biggest improvements though are cross winds and, thanks to living where I do, flaming tram tracks :)

Tyre specific feedback may take longer but I'm very glad I coughed up the cash and went for some new boots.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 19:31:21 »
"flaming tram tracks"
Why don't they just put trolley buses back if they want vehicles powered by overhead electric cables? No road digging costs, no hazardous ironworks in roads, happier cyclists.

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 19:59:36 »
Best not to mention The World Student Games in Sheffield Rusty. They were the precursor to the clusterf*ck of the Supertram.

Is wasn't the best of times...
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.