Author Topic: Metzeler tourance next  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Darren marsh

• Racer Since 1982
  • Bike: DL650 L0
Metzeler tourance next
« on: April 18, 2020, 08:34:13 »
I know we all bang on about tyres and I have always put my trust in metzeler in my 30yrs of riding they are my go to tyre from road racing to track days they have never let me down
So I have looked at the metzeler tourance next due to been a 99% road rider  :auto-dirtbike:
I have looked on lots of forums and can not find a bad word said about them even found one bloke that said he had done a track day with them and found them to be great
I want to get about 10k out of the tyre as I do use bike most days for work doing a round trip of 60miles on country roads I do not hang about when am late for work !! And the Dl bless her gets used as she should
Has any one used these tyres and what is your thoughts on them ?
Cheers
 keep safe  :sunny: :sunny:
Safe riding and bring out the sunshine  :sunny:

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Re: Metzeler tourance next
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 08:47:00 »
I've always been a big fan of Michelin tyres. My Strom had pilot road 3's fitted when I bought it and I loved them. The pilot road 4's were good too but I didn't have quite the same confidence in them but they did last well. I now have the Road 5 and they are OK too but nothing has come as close to the PR3 for cornering confidence.  I've been reading a tyre review in Ride magazine and they have given the Metzeller Roadtec 01 SE the plaudits this time around. I could be tempted by those myself next time as I do like the sound of their cornering stability, especially with the tank of a bike I've got now.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 08:54:56 »
Hello Darren.

I've no experience on the road with Tourance next myself but can say they are very popular with customers at my shop.

They choose them mainly for their good feel/grip, longevity, low road noise and price.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.  :thumb:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 08:55:36 »
I nearly went with the Metzler Roadtec 01s  but they were £270 fitted to the bike vs £240 for the Road 5s.
If you want longevity, I put over 19,000 on the Dunlop Roadsmart 3s... they were fairly square by then mind, but I had no complaints with their performance.

Offline Darren marsh

• Racer Since 1982
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 09:06:26 »
Am looking at price as well I can get a set of metzeler tourance next delivered for £195
And then I fit and balance myself so price also has a big play in it for me  :sunny:

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 09:14:04 »
That's good money!
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline VCH

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 14:09:09 »
https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/metzeler-tourance-110-80r19-59v-150-70r17-69v-tyre-pair-mettp-0011

Great tyre, I've had them on for 5000 miles now and couldn't be happier. Loads of life left too.

vch.

Offline Darren marsh

• Racer Since 1982
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 16:27:33 »
Thanks vch
I have seen them at m&p however I want more of a road tyre mind you they are a great price for a pair and then I fit and balance myself to save on the cost
Cheers

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 16:32:16 »
I had them on my V-Strom and they were much the same as just about every other modern tyre in that they gripped well in both wet and dry conditions. They also wore out much to quickly as do all other brands - around 3k from a rear and a bit more from a front. I know, dismal mileage but fun achieving it  :dl_hyperhysteria:

Offline Darren marsh

• Racer Since 1982
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 16:49:38 »
Old git
Your putting me off the metzeler tourance next 3k from a rear tyre is rubbish
What was you doing with it  ?   :auto-dirtbike:
Surely  metzeler have not brought out a tyre out that only gives a return of 3k
Cheers for your feed back  :sunny:

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
Metzeler tourance next
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 23:10:12 »
      I got just over 11,000 mls. on my last set of Tourance Next tyres. They would have gone another thousand I reckon, but I was off to the Pyrenees and didn’t want to take any risks.They are good tyres, and great in all weathers.I have moved onto 023’s now as my local tyre man was getting expensive with T.Next.They feel great but you have to change your riding style as they really turn in easily.At this rate they will last me a long time though.😷😷
      3K is not much though Old Git,I know its a 1000 but you must be a hard taskmaster or are you 2up most of the time.
Ian Mc.

Offline Sage

• Bike: DL650 K6
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 11:33:30 »
For road tyres I've had some good results with Avon Storm 3d XM's on other bikes, they have been superseded by the Spirit now so are very good value. The Storms always gave excellent mileage and good grip etc
May be worth a look ?

Offline old git

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 13:28:27 »
Darren Marsh, don't let me put you off. I get that mileage from every brand. Most of my riding is on Scottish Highland roads and they are particularly hard on tyres.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2020, 15:05:14 »
Well "Old Git", like you I never get over 3000 miles (and usually nearer 2,500) out of a rear tyre and haven't on any bike over 500cc I've owned in the last 20 years. I only use sport/touring or dual purpose tyres these days in the hope I may get more miles, but have yet to achieve this. I've had proper sports tyres on some bikes and got through rears in well under 2000 miles. Not a cheap pastime. I used to have a Suzuki RF900 that I commuted on and would get through 3 rears and 2 fronts a year on it. I don’t really know how people manage to achieve 10,000+ miles….

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2020, 17:21:20 »
It's called wrist control ...  :roll: lol
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Darren marsh

• Racer Since 1982
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 17:24:45 »
Hookie
am shocked you are getting less than 3k out of a rear tyre
I can't think of any reason why unless you are doing burn outs before setting off
Surely with the tyre technology these days all tyre should get over 3k
I remember many years ago having a Michelin macadam on the rear of my bandit 1200 and by god it took some wearing out
Them things could wear the bloody road out

Offline Darren marsh

• Racer Since 1982
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 17:42:41 »
Ha ha kwackboy that made me laff
Premature tyre usage through poor wrist control earn how to use your right hand better and you might get a bit longer lol lol lol

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 18:10:08 »
 lol

It may depend on what someone finds acceptable or not. When I was changing the Dunlops there was a chap their changing his rear tyre at <6,000 miles as he said it was noticable on the bike, whereas it looked brand new to me and very much doubt I'd be changing it.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 08:39:51 »
Some bikes are very sensitive to the way they feel and behave as the  tyres wear. Luckily my Vee doesn't, but several other bikes I've had do. The RF900 I had used to feel like it didn't want to turn and felt quite unstable at slow speeds like roundabouts, but was fine at high speeds. This was caused by the back tyre, even if it had only done around 1500 miles and got worse until it was replaced at the legal limit at around 2,500 and then everything would be OK again. I had a GPZ600R and that was very similar.
    With regard to my comments about my experiences with rear tyre life, I'm well aware that it is due to how I ride and in reality don't really mind about the tyre life. I do however object to the misleading claims by tyre manufacturers about their new tyre giving better mileage.  If I want to gently chug around at 50 or 60mph I'd use the car or buy 125 or 250cc bike. I’ll use the performance and power of the bike as and when I want allowing of course for prevailing road and weather conditions. The irony is that I rode harder and faster back in the ‘60s and ‘70s when there was much less traffic, no speed cameras and I could achieve much higher cross country average speeds then than could be done these days. Of course bikes then were nowhere near as powerful and brakes and tyres were nowhere near as good either and I’ve aged a good bit since then as well!

Offline old git

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 20:26:47 »
I agree with you completely Hookie. If I ride with the aim of getting 10k miles from a tyre I'd rather take the bus but not everyone rides with the same mindset as me. I don't commute, all my riding is either 2 up touring or reasonably quick riding on Scottish Highland roads. Try and get 10K out of tyres on them - mega grippy surfaces but shred tyres! As an apprentice in the late 70's and early 80's trying to keep my GS1000 going in tyres was an ongoing financial nightmare. Different time, different bikes, different tyres and different financial position but roughly the same mileage. What I will say, mileage aside, is that modern tyres are superb - they offer fantastic grip in wet or dry and allow cornering angles and speeds way in excess of what we could have dreamed of 40 years ago. I just ordered a set of Pirelli Angels for my sons GSX650F - less than £130 for the pair - superb value. I offset my tyre costs by buying online and fitting myself - have done for years.