Author Topic: MRA Vario the best?  (Read 2561 times)

Offline zn_raider06

MRA Vario the best?
« on: April 01, 2011, 13:49:08 »
Thinking about getting a MRA Vario for a trip around Europe. I'm about 5'9... Is this the best screen?
Smoke or clear? Not liking the idea of not seeing directly in front of me if I have the smoked screen in low light. Any suggestions welcome   :thumb:

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
Re: MRA Vario the best?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 14:06:57 »
have you tried the stock screen with a madstad bracket?

I used to just use the stock screen and 3x washers on each side at the bottom to tilt it back a bit (I'm 5'11" and had it on the 'unofficial' highest setting) it was almost perfect for me.

Now that I'm running a madstad, it is perfect. You can get them from BikeHPS
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline zn_raider06

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 14:18:45 »
Cheers that's great! I didn't even know about MadStad, fantastic idea  :ty:

Not much difference in price though. MadStad £84 and MRA £107. Not worth paying £23 extra for a shiny new shield?

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 15:32:17 »
Everyone find screens different from the next person. I bought my Wee with a standard screen, put some washers under it, then put longer bolts and more washers both top and bottom, then bought a MRA Vario (tall one) and this worked well. Then when winter came I bought a Givi barn door and a Madstad, this worked brilliantly against the elements, but I find it too big to use it all year around (it's like a sail and increases fuel consumption too.) I now have the Madstad on with the standard screen and this does things pretty good too (best so far for me.) Gassoon has just sent me his tinted sports screen for testing, I find that I prefer smaller screens than large ones. I'm exhausting all viable possibilities for myself. So my advice would be to check if someone in your area has any of the screens or a Madstad and if they would be willing to lend it to you for a week or so. Check the link in my signature for the members map, you can find people near you easily.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 20:09:16 »
Quote from: "zn_raider06"
Thinking about getting a MRA Vario for a trip around Europe. I'm about 5'9... Is this the best screen?

Yes   :thumb:
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Fatbelly

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 20:31:28 »
Might I suggest you try the search function. Look for "screen". That'll keep you busy for a while.

Offline dogpuf

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 03:10:49 »
My opinion is that the MRA is the best option but with you been a short arse a Standard size would be best

Shop about and you'll get one cheaper new or pre owned cheaper still

Lee
C'mon spring I want to get riding

Offline Arto

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 16:18:28 »
As a fellow "short arse", I have just vitted the MRA Vario Standard toring to my Vee's Madstad. Result all screen issues now solved, quiet and satble,  a ascreen I can live with long tetm. Thank Fcuk, otherwise I was going to have to sell the bile
1977 Honda CB400F in Yellow. Completely Bog Standard.

Offline Its Mr to you sonny!

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 20:18:19 »
I'm normal height (1.87m) and fitted an MRA Vario about a moth ago.  For me its a huge improvement over the standard screen.  I can ride with my visor-up up to 70 (oh, alright if you promise not to tell 85).  With the standard screen my helmet was constantly buffeted and there was a lot of wind noise both of which have stopped.  And now I can here the engine.

I thought it might make the bike a hand-full in high winds.  While I certainly know it there when its windy so far there has been no cause for concern.

Its a bit pricey but it seems to do the job.
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.