Author Topic: Suzuki Pannier rails  (Read 2703 times)

Offline AlanK

• Bike: Vstrom 650 2011 (pre change model
Suzuki Pannier rails
« on: June 17, 2013, 16:32:14 »
Last year I purchased a set of unused pannier rails (genuine Suzuki) off Ebay. From memory they were advertised as fitting up to 2011 model (my bike is a 2010 model first reg in 2011). I did not fit them over winter and have unfortunately only got around to doing it now.  I now find that they do not fit my bike as according to the instructions they should bolt on at three places ( the upper points being into the passenger grab rail and also the rear rack) - my bike has no pre drilled holes in these places as illustrated in the fitting instructions. The Suzuki part number for my rails is 990D0-27G00-066 which according various searches is correct for all DL650 V Stroms up to 2011 - some American websites show that part number as fitting up to 2008 with nothing listed for subsequent years. Was there a model change at 2008 where a different passenger grab rail and rear rack was fitted  or has the first owner of my bike changed the grab bars on my bike? Can anyone suggest a solution other than sell them?
Any advice would be appreciated.
thanks
Alan

Offline gbrchill

Re: Suzuki Pannier rails
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 17:00:24 »
I suspect that you have the other type of rear rack, rather than the one meant for the rails. Ordinary rack

rack for the Suzuki top box and rails

Offline AlanK

• Bike: Vstrom 650 2011 (pre change model
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 19:24:03 »
I was not aware that the rack would need to be changed too! You are absolutely right - I have the ordinary rack as per your photograph number 1.  So if I want to fit the pannier rails I will need to buy a Suzuki pannier rack as per photograph number 2 - it does look to have the fitting points described in the fitting instructions. I have a Givi adaptor plate fitted on my standard rack so that probably would not fit the pannier rack - I think I will probably try to sell the pannier kit as the easiest option.
many thanks for your advice / help.
Alan

Offline Stobie

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 14:30:04 »
Does anyone know if the rack shown in photo 2 and the side rails are interchangeable between 650 and 1000 models ? I have a 2005 DL650.

Thanks in anticipation.

Oh, and good to be back after a couple of years with GSX's

Stobie

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 15:02:07 »
Side rails are not interchangeable and there's DL650 K4-6 side rails are different from the later models too.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Stobie

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 15:17:42 »
Thanks for that, beginning to wish I'd kept my Thou.

Cheers

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 23:44:09 »
Your profile says you still do.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)

Offline Stobie

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 03:05:57 »
Quote from: "Juvecu"
Your profile says you still do.

Amended - thanks for reminding me.

Stobie

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 11:40:23 »
Same as mine then, a Blue K5 :)

Offline Stobie

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 19:56:21 »
Just out of curiosity would the thou side rails physically fit ?

It seems the bloke who retrofitted this bike with full luggage has used part Vee and part Wee fittings and made a real hash of it.

I've got Vee boxes (both same size) and a 650 rear rack for definite (rack drilled to hell to make side rails fit - nearside bracket was too low for a straight fit onto rack) Side rails I just don't know what they are.

I think I just answered my own question - they must be Vee side rails and they don't fit.

Stobie

Offline Juvecu

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 20:50:04 »
Not sure I know what you mean by "physically fit", the 1000 rails have different mount points at the pillion foot rest mounting. This is also the difference between the old and newer Wee rails.

Offline Stobie

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 20:24:28 »
As I understand it the difference between the Vee and Wee side rails is that the Wee takes into account the single silencer and the left side is closer to the bike and also has a bigger pannier box on that side.
I was wondering if the Vee rails would still fit but leave that gap for the missing silencer.

This is a picture of my bike with the present set up - both side rails look equidistant to me and the boxes are the same both sides. The right side rail fits perfectly but the left is about 1/2 inch out on the rearmost fitting to the rear carrier which has been butchered to make it fit.

Seems to me the side rails are from a different model or year.

I've got a rear carrier on the way and I'll get some decent welding done to make the left side rail fit and with the extra space I can hopefully fit a Tool Tube.

Stobie

Offline geekay

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 23:20:21 »
Looks the same as mine. Mine is a 2011 last of the "wee" models. It's a GT model so came with the colour coded luggage as standard. The rear rails are same width so leaves a gap where there is no exhaust.

Offline Stobie

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 19:54:55 »
All sorted - new rear carrier and original side rails loosely fitted then gradually tightened all bolts - jobs a goodun.

This is the butchered part of the original carrier:

Stobie