Author Topic: Cold fingers  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
Re: Cold fingers
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 17:29:21 »
to be pedantic, you would ride with no gloves ??     .. I mean I tighten my jacket cuff straps and feed them into my gloves and then pull the glove straps !! can't see how you would keep jacket cuffs engaged with muffs. I'm not being deliberately dim I just never looked at muffs before !!

Offline UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 19:07:09 »
Still wear gloves. They'll protect your hands in a spill.

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 19:11:40 »
No matter what other things you use, heated grips are worth having.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 19:21:56 »
I'm not saying ride without gloves  lol
I'm saying you'd get away with a thinner pair ..  :)
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2020, 19:22:30 »
I have some Oxford muffs. On the move the wind pushes them against the clutch and brake levers. I would only use them when I have handguards fitted. I used them on my "Vee" like that and with heated grips inside they were toasty warm. Heated grips are good for warm palms but the fingers get nothing when exposed to the air stream. I have mostly rid myself of the problem by staying off bikes when it gets down below 10 degrees. I have a heated jacket and gloves and the SV has heated grips, but I am old and my default chilly ride is "car". 
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Tusker

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2020, 16:08:25 »
I'm looking at all the options but just now "Heated Gloves" and I got to looking at how to wire them to the battery. Everything I have seen so far talks about a socket out of the left hand side of the seat (not unlike the one I have for the battery conditioner)..  Then the general description is of wires up through your jacket and down the inside of your sleeves.. This seems an enormous faff to me, do you do the threading through each time?  do you sew the wires in place? (what if you use more than one jacket) Can someone tell me just how they use heated gloves .. I'm guessing it is considered dangerous to have a socket in the cockpit and plug the gloves into that !!

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2020, 16:43:58 »
It is not that much of a faff at all. I have heated socks, I have a female jack plug that exits to the front of the seat and the male jack out of my waist band. I just feed the wires when I put my trollies on. The gloves will no doubt have a jack at each wrist and one to connect to the bike.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Tusker

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2020, 17:17:58 »
Thanks TLPower, jackets are different to pants though, I presume you do not take your pants off every time you stop for cake and coffee!!  (or maybe you do  :shy: :shy:)  I envisage 4/5 stops when I have to thread myself up!! or as I said maybe chose one jacket and do a bit of sewing in ??  I am thinking muffs, heated grips and summer gloves is a good solution. But, they are ugly !!  :grin: :grin: Call me indecisive !!   :old:

Online Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2020, 17:22:29 »
Relocate the wheel at the front and the one at the rear to Lanzarote. You know it makes sense. No muffs, no wires.

Offline Tusker

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2020, 17:23:59 »
I know Rusty Nuts,,, !!!  I get on my own tits as well !! :dl_smiley_banghead: :dl_smiley_banghead: :grin: :grin:

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2020, 18:48:40 »
You can get heated gloves with individual battery packs that fit into a pocket in each glove. I have no idea how long each battery would last though.
Or, if you get 'ordinary' heated gloves that wire into the bike and have more than one jacket you wear you could get a spare lead for each jacket and 'fix' it into each jacket?
 https://www.keisapparel.co.uk/product/keis-glove-y-lead/
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Tusker

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2020, 18:57:06 »
thanks for all contributions!!  I think I'm settling on high quality heated gloves and Bark busters.. Just cannot go with muffs  :icon_no: :icon_no: :icon_no:   :thumb:

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2020, 19:06:00 »
My heated inner gloves plug into a socket in each sleeve of the Keis Jacket. The lead from the  jacket plugs into the battery charge lead. The inner gloves really are a faff to put on. ### I might try "Gerbing heated gloves" although the downside to that is that the Gerbing plugs don't fit the connections on the Keis jacket. :groan:
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Barbel Mick

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2020, 19:13:26 »
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.