Author Topic: Buffalo textile jacket..  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Euroned

Buffalo textile jacket..
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:02:49 »
Just a quick question....I have this jacket and been very good to me and totally waterproof(apart from 3.5hr trip back from Silverstone MotoGp this year) where it poured with rain whole way home.
 Question is...what in these types of jackets keep it waterproof..is it a waterproof lining or waterproof chemical in the jacket? Only say this cos when drying out after the trip it was dripping white drips and been out in the rain since and one arm not totally waterproof anymore.

Ta

Neil
Stay rubber side down!

Offline 2112

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition
Re: Buffalo textile jacket..
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 18:31:53 »
Most waterproof jackets have a treatment which helps to stop the outer fabrick from 'wetting out'. This can be replenished by washing with Nikwax (or similar) to restore the water 'replency - if that's even a word, of the jacket. This is probably what's come out of Your jacket.
It's pronounced 'twenty-one-twelve'

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 12:20:12 »
"repellency" is a word if you can spell it right :sarc:
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Euroned

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:37:54 »
Thanks..will get some Nikwax and wash it in...btw my mrs not too keep for me to use washing machine(cos don't use it much!) and does it cause any problems with washing machine after...or all washed away?

Cheers

Neil
Stay rubber side down!

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:12:19 »
I've heard some people use silicone spray on them, I's contemplating it, on my old textile trousers first to see if it causes any problems first, but its when I can be arsed to get some silicone anyways

Ride Coordinator

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:41:25 »
I've used Nikwax several times, it doesn't do anything to the washing machine at all. I use one of those round cup thingies that you put inside the washing machine. That way I'm not pouring Nikwax in the tray where the washing powder normally goes and there is no Nikwax left in the machine after the washing is done. Well, at least not any that you will notice.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

rascaltrousers

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 13:06:59 »
most jackets actually have a waterproof 'drop liner'. The outer fabric is not wateproof so the water runs through it, meets the wateproof layer and runs down and out throu a mesh gap at the bottom. hence if the jacket doesn't overlap your wateproof trousers properly water egts inside them and you end up sitting with your nuts in a puddle :shy: Washing with nikwax does help sometimes, but usually once a jacket gives up the ghost and is leaking, it's time to replace it. the best I've had from any jacket is 6 years before ti started leaking, but most a re around 2-3 years.

Offline cdo1uk

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 14:19:17 »
I have a Bikers Suzuka jacket and trousers, and never ever leaked, not even a bit... love it. I used to have a Frank thomas Aqua jacket and it was good till I was cought in a real heavy down poor then it never seemed to keep the water out, once it found a way, that was that...