Author Topic: winter gloves  (Read 2691 times)

Offline lankyone

winter gloves
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:09:44 »
any one recomend a good pair of winter gloves?

got some cheap weiss ones from ghostbikes through ebay bout 20 quid I think tried them for the first time this morning and had to change back to my summer gloves halfway because my hands were freeezing and the 3XL were far too small the thumb is so short that I can't reach the levers or the indicator, so they are going back, (hopefully)

I don't want to pay silly money ( okay I still want cheap ones )but they need to be warm and waterproof

anyone bought some recently that they would be able to pint me towards?

cheers

Offline willbo

• crazy is contagious
  • Bike: 2010 dl650x
Re: winter gloves
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:38:36 »
I have a pair of cheaper rst waterproof gloves for winter. Slightly larger than needed. I then wear inside those a thin pair of thermal gloves they give out at work. Together, with my hand guards and heated grips I've never had a problem. Most of the time I don't use the heated grips as to be honest they not as good as I hoped.
I'm sane, honestly. . . I got a certificate to prove it!

Offline lankyone

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 11:34:31 »
Quote from: "willbo"
I have a pair of cheaper rst waterproof gloves for winter. Slightly larger than needed. I then wear inside those a thin pair of thermal gloves they give out at work. Together, with my hand guards and heated grips I've never had a problem. Most of the time I don't use the heated grips as to be honest they not as good as I hoped.

I thought I had gone big with 3XL I had some thin thinsulate gloves inside but still really cold,

I think I might just nikwax my other gloves! I bought some extra thermal inner gloves so they will probably do it, they are frank thomas gloves that look like turtles fingers and are warm they just aren't waterproof

I have no handguards either don't think that can help

Offline Oop North John

• Bike: DL650 M0, YB100 - 1990
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:22 »
As you have big hands, thought about some muffs?  :thumb:

Offline lankyone

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 17:28:50 »
how serious is that john?

presume you just leave them on the bike, bet they don't look too hot?

ill see how the liners underneath my normal gloves cope and then maybe waterproof them later!

Offline lankyone

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 17:30:11 »
hands aren't really that big either, just long fingers I think!

I'm 6 foot 6 but not a big build really!

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 18:43:11 »
Google Halvarssons and have a look at the winter gloves they do . They are fantastic gloves and priced realisticly . 100% Waterproof , they say you can dunk the glove in a bucket of water and they won't leak ..

Offline lankyone

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 19:12:09 »
like an idiot I told Ghostbikes how ridculously cold they are, and they have refused to refund them as they are now worn, how shit is that !! :angry-tappingfoot:

Offline jonH

• Bike: R1200GS LC
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 19:22:09 »
Quote from: "lankyone"
how serious is that john?

presume you just leave them on the bike, bet they don't look too hot?

muffs won't win you any style awards but they are the best things for keeping jack frost off your fingers (when coupled with some form of bonus heat such as heated grips or gloves/undergloves
There is nothing in life that cannot be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas

Offline Kells

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 19:22:46 »
Hein Gerick 3 finger Panther gloves.

100% waterproof.
Comfy.
Easy to get on & take off with damp hands.
Plenty of room to wear liner,s underneath.

Bought these as a second pair (wet weather) this summer, but now my main wet weather gloves.
Went to the Moto GP Sachsenring this year (east Germany) then on to Prague. Got caught in some torrential rain a couple of days on the trott & these are much easier to take off & put on when hands are damp, normal 5 finger gloves tend to pull the liner out of the fingers after a while. This does not sound too bad, but trying to put that liner back into the fingers is not as easy as it sounds.
Based on previous gloves owned, Alpinestar, Heingericke & Rukka.

They take a bit of getting used to at first, but so much easier to use.
Not used in cold weather yet so can't vouch for warmth.
Read reviews before buying any & make sure they are comfy not too tight whatever you buy.

Offline lankyone

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 19:47:21 »
Quote from: "Kells"
Hein Gerick 3 finger Panther gloves.

100% waterproof.
Comfy.
Easy to get on & take off with damp hands.
Plenty of room to wear liner,s underneath.

Bought these as a second pair (wet weather) this summer, but now my main wet weather gloves.
Went to the Moto GP Sachsenring this year (east Germany) then on to Prague. Got caught in some torrential rain a couple of days on the trott & these are much easier to take off & put on when hands are damp, normal 5 finger gloves tend to pull the liner out of the fingers after a while. This does not sound too bad, but trying to put that liner back into the fingers is not as easy as it sounds.
Based on previous gloves owned, Alpinestar, Heingericke & Rukka.

They take a bit of getting used to at first, but so much easier to use.
Not used in cold weather yet so can't vouch for warmth.
Read reviews before buying any & make sure they are comfy not too tight whatever you buy.

a biker work mate has these and really recommends them as well ( he did same commute and no problems with the cold)

think they are about 55 quid, shame ghostbikes has left me 20 quid down, the tossers

anyone one some 3XL winter gloves that might fit a child and keep your hands warm november through to feb as long as you are in austrailia!!!

they really are that bad , can I send them back as defective instead of just a return?

Offline Juvecu

• Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat
  • Bike: '11 Versys 650 & '05 TT-R250
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 20:22:32 »
I tried the HG joined finger gloves, nearly had an accident because I couldn't use the brake properly :) I decided that I prefer my fingers to move independently from each other and they swapped them for the 5 finger ones. They took me through last winter with silk glove liners, heated grips (the not so hot OEM ones) and £20 cheapy bar muffs. I recently bought some Alpinestars WR-3 gloves and I love them. They have Gore-Tex and they are very comfortable, I can't pull them off without undoing the under wrist strap (that's good!) and they are warmer than the HG gloves I had before, even without silk glove liners. They are usually about £99, but I got them for £85 delivered.
Members Map                                                    Juv's Strom "Restoration" (sold to Mad Phil)
Juv & Locky's Morocco Trip Report                   Juv's Blog

Offline Oldie

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 20:37:21 »
I bought the HG 3 finger jobs 18 months ago and like them, but they're not particularly warm. Even with silk inner gloves they had me freezing last winter. You have to get handguards or heated grips (preferably both) to be comfortable.

Yes, muffs are brilliant weather protectors and significantly improve the effect of your heated grips, but I find them somewhat unsafe due to the restriction in hand mobility (don't titter missus).
I can’t go back, I won’t go back
I’d love to go back but I mustn’t do that