Author Topic: LED headlight unit for V-Strom 2014-2019 1000 and 2017-2020 VStrom 650  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Rhino VStrom

Today I received the LED headlight unit for the Vstrom 1000 (2014-2019) and 650 (2017-2020) from Hoglight Australia. First impression: high quality, solidly made, no weird mistakes on the unit itself. Professional wire connections. So far . Now assemble and see how or what. I'm curious Lights are DOT and ECE approved. The complete unit will replaced by this one.
 Looks great on the V-Strom. It's now Alibaba stuf and made in Australia com's with 7 year of warranty.
 High quality We always use the best quality LED chipsets in our lights, and only genuine CREE & Phillips chips.
 Our optics are designed with the highest clarity and precision to ensure a good distribution & penetration of light.
 All of our lights are both DOT & ECE approved, so never any problems with the law.
 Our lights are designed to operate in both LHD & RHD countries.
 We stand behind our products with a 7 year warranty.
 We’re riders ourselves, so we understand how frustrating it can be to be with out your ride if components fail.
 Greetings Peter

https://hoglights.com.au/collections/Suzuki/products/Suzuki-v-strom-650-1000

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
Made in Australia and sold on Alibaba? Just looked at the item on Aliexpress and it says it's made by Yongjin and it ships from China. I like the look of it, but don't kid yourself that it's anything other than Chinese made. The day China starts importing stuff to resell globally I'll know that the world has turned upside down...
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Looking forward to seeing it lit up Rhino! :thumb:
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Rhino VStrom

Quote removed

Now way!! It's made in Australia and this same light is not sold on Alibaba. Yes!! there are some copies on the internet, but not of this quality. This is what the owner of Hoglights have to say about it.

There are a lot of copies to our designs, some appear very quickly and others take a little time.  The main differences from our lights to others are:

We always use the best quality LED chipsets in our lights, and only genuine CREE & Phillips chips. 
Our optics are designed with the highest clarity and precision to ensure a good distribution & penetration of light.
All of our lights are both DOT & ECE approved, so never any problems with the law. 
Our lights are designed to operate in both LHD & RHD countries. 
We stand behind our products with a 7 year warranty.
We’re riders ourselves, so we understand how frustrating it can be to be with out your ride if components fail.

I trust this assists

The owner of Hoglights created a special discount code for the V-Strom.:lala: If you click the link, it will automatically add the 15% discount  :happydance: to the cart (it will show the correct price at the checkout). We open this offer to all members of the V-Strom Forums and Facebook pages. The discount code will be available for 30 days. :auto-dirtbike:
https://hoglights.com.au/discount/VStromOwnersForum

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
I asked Nate at Hoglights if they were made in China. His reply:

Thanks for your email.  They are made in both China & Australia.  We have been using the same factory in China now for over 5 years to manufacture our lights, however we still conduct regular checks at the factory to ensure production is made to our specifications.  The final components & testing is completed at our facility in Australia.  This is the only way we can ensure the quality of our products.

Offline tallpaul

I rest my case.

I still like the light unit though!

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Yeah, I like the look of it, and the if the QC is good in the factory (and in Oz) it should be a nice unit. I'd hang on to the old one just in case of longevity problems, though :icon_wink:  Even with a 7 year warranty, sending it back to oz would mean your bike off the road for a ...few days!

So, is the 'power' they state, the light output equivalent, or the power draw, or what?
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Yes, looks good. Oz is much closer to China than we are, they can visit and control processes and quality much more easily than we could from here.
No qualms with it being Chinese per se, although we in  Blighty do seem to have more of a distrust of the orient ( Not Leyton) .

Offline tallpaul

I suspect that because the Aussie company buys batches of lights they can order them with specific options (which emitters to use etc) hence their confidence in their product. If you buy direct from China then you get whatever guts it is financially expedient for them to fit. That would make the Aussie light a better unit, but still assembled in the land of the rising chow mein. I would happily buy either to be honest, but that is the point I was really trying to  make, being honest about where it is really made.

Offline Rhino VStrom

Quote removed

Sorry You're right. I still made in china and Australië to, but the same lights are not for sale on Ali.  :grin:

Offline Rhino VStrom

Quote removed

Nate @ HogLights here mate. You are correct is what you say with MOT and the light projection pattern. Whilst this does apply to motorcycles, its more applicable to vehicles, other lights in our range are designed specifically for LHD & RHD traffic.
The rules also allow for a symmetrical beam pattern on motorcycles, meaning that the beam pattern is flat. This is what we utalise for most of our motorcycle lights as it covers both LHD & RHD situations. The V-Strom LED HogLight is one of our lights that is designed as a symmetrical beam pattern.
Hope this assists, happy to answer any additional questions mate.
Cheers! Nate

Offline Ticker

• Bike: 2019 - DL1000 AL8
Thanks for posting up Rhino and for arranging the members discount  :text-goodpost: I’ve just taken the plunge - can’t wait to get it installed on the machine and will report back.

Offline Rhino VStrom

As promised. Continuation of mounting the LED Hoglights for the V-Strom 1000A. Sorry, bit later (Corona)😞
First remove the sidecowling and the Displayunit ( cockpit) Than remove the hole Headlight unit incl.frame. Put it on a tyre, so you can work on and that it is be damaged.

unbolt the Frame and you can remove the 'old' headlight. (don't forget to unplug wiring.) Remove the side rubbers from the old headlight en put theme in the LED headligt. Be carful and don't break a clip or something els. Connect the wiring; Yellow = lowbeam, White = High beam, Red = City light and Black is ground wire. Before but the LED back, check al lights. Put the LED under the headlight frame. and put everiting back togheter.
You're V-Strom gets a completely different look. The light is gread and also the vision of this LED light is muts better. I will make a better video soon. This video was taken with a bad camera, apologies for that😞 Better video will follow.

Offline Ticker

• Bike: 2019 - DL1000 AL8
I have to admit that looks the business.  :thumb:

What swung it for me was, my friends Dad installed a similar unit on his Harley Fat Bob, when riding behind him, the difference was unbelievable. Much more striking and visible for other road users to see you.

I can’t wait for mine to arrive now.  :dl_hyperhysteria:

Offline Lizy's Rider

• Username: Lizys Rider
  • Bike: V Strom 1050XT
Looks great, wish I'd seen this before starting to faff around with replacement lamps.  Oh well.  Maybe on the next lock down I'll get one of these.
 :text-bravo:

Offline SuzukiSte

That looks great plenty of light for dark nights. :thumb:

Offline Savak

• Bike: DL650 L7
THing is will it pass an MOT here in the UK?
I thought unless it was standart fitment it would fail.
Can anyone clairfy.

Offline tallpaul

As I understand it, you are correct Savak. This obviously relies on the MOT tester knowing what is standard and what isn't (is how my MOT chap explained it to me).

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
Yes exactly....

Complete LED units in my book are fine as long as the beam is good however a standard headlight that's had an LED bulb fitting will fail the majority of the time but I will still check to see if the beams OK , if it's good I'll pass it.

This is what I'd do as a tester but I can't answer for some of the jobs worth's out there .  :grin:
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline tallpaul

My MOT bloke is a biker. He takes a similar approach too. My Strom had LEDs in and he said it was fine. The lad I sold the bike to met a jobsworth for the next MOT and he failed it. No problem to change it back but I said he should go to the same place as me in future. My brother's vee has HIDs fitted and he never bat's an eyelid at it.