Author Topic: Intermittent leak from water pump  (Read 189 times)

Offline Silverback

• Bike: DL650 K7
Intermittent leak from water pump
« on: April 29, 2024, 21:22:59 »
I've noticed recently an intermittent leak from the small waterpump pipe.

I think this maybe the seal on its way out.  Took it for a spin the other day and it seems to have stopped now?? Should I leave it for now or is it only going to get worse?  Thanks.

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
Re: Intermittent leak from water pump
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 08:56:24 »
I'd keep an eye on it, it's possible the seal dried out if the bike has been stood for a while and getting everything hot has sealed it. As long as you're talking drips and not puddles then just monitor the coolant level. If you've got any big trips planned then maybe replace it as it doesn't look to be a huge job as long as what's leaking is purely coolant and no trace of oil. Mine lets a couple of drips out when it cools down after a ride but it's not got any worse in maybe 2yrs and I just top up a small amount of coolant each year. I'll replace the o-ring at my next coolant swap/valve clearance check unless it drastically deteriorates.

Online Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
Re: Intermittent leak from water pump
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 11:11:03 »
Do you mean the Hosepipe?
If so, it's not unusual for a drip after a long lay up, if that's what you've done.
Like the man says, you need to keep an eye on it and consider changing out the parts when time/interest/money etc allows.
But for now, ride.
Upt.