Author Topic: Stator failure and what have I done about it?  (Read 483 times)

Online Jim13_Wee_Strom

• Bike: DL650A K9 Black, 98 Trophy 900 in Silver.
Stator failure and what have I done about it?
« on: April 17, 2024, 17:41:50 »
 :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh: :eusa-doh:
Sunday morning started at 05:47 (10 mins before weekday alarm) because weekday habits are difficult to ignore at the weekends. The usual 3 cups of tea were consumed and the bike taken from the shed and parked up ready for the breakfast run. I dressed in my usual biking gear, carried helmet, gloves and tank bag out to the bike. Phone went in the waterproof case ( I like to track my rides, don't know why just do) and plugged it into the accessory socket and that's when I had the first indication that something was wrong. The accessory socket readout was showing nothing but the switch light was glowing, 'silly bugger you've not flicked the switch properly" and so I tried again... nothing.
Key goes in the ignition and clicked to the ON position, nothing, nada, zip, dead as a Dodo. The boost pack was administered and the engine started, "Yay, flat battery was all... but why did the battery go flat?" I check the accessory socket readout and see 5.2v, 10.6v, 14.2v, 13v back to 5.2v and so it continued to flicker between 5.2v and 14.5v. I MM the battery to check for voltage and get the same readings as before, "that's the fried breakfast run finished before it started"  :angry-banghead:.
I retreat indoors as its still too early to be buggering about revving engines plus it gives me time to consult the years of captured experience I have locked away in my head. The years of captured experience suggests a charging problem with the stator and not the rectifier (diodes fail once and that's it)... As Murphys Law applies in this type of situation I don't have a spare stator on the shelf  :icon_no: so I consult ebay for a replacement (the cost of a genuine part is astronomically high) whilst I await a decent hour to wake the neighbours without fear of complaint.

That hour arrives (9am) and so I strip the bike ready for testing the component I think has failed... I check the stator and find an Ohms reading of 0 in any combination of the three pins  :shock: just to make sure, I check the rectifier and get a 0.455 across any combination of the pins... the rectifier's good  :happydance:

Why did the stator fail on an '09 650 V-Strom with less than 12K miles registered on the mile o meter? Did I do anything wrong? Did I not change the engine oil often enough? Doesn't really matter, all that matters is that a replacement stator has been ordered along with a new genuine stator cover gasket, £5 dearer than the cheapest pattern gasket available  :dl_hyperhysteria:

I have a 5 night 6 day trip to / in and around Scotland in May, glad it failed now and not during the trip.

I have to say... the bike has been faultless until now, has done everything I've asked of it and has lapped it up asking for more while returning 60+ mpg...
Don't sweat what you can't influence...
IBA Member

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
Re: Stator failure and what have I done about it?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 18:07:51 »
Doh,
If you have any problems with your order ,
Try these people,I have used them before and been pleased.
http://www.westcountrywindings.co.uk/
Not on a strom but worth a phone call ,they are helpful people.,

Online Jim13_Wee_Strom

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2024, 22:07:25 »
 :ty:
IBA Member

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2024, 23:07:30 »
Best of luck with your repair! Hopefully you find something daft like a damaged set of wires when you take the cover off, rather than just a properly failed stator, covers coming off regardless!

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 06:27:26 »
Your reading of zero across all three combinations. 

Was this between the three stator wires or to ground ..?
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2024, 07:42:37 »
As far as I can recall, it is not common that one would hear of the stator coil resistance between all the 3 stator leads as giving a 0 resistance reading. Any chance that the multimeter setting may have been set too high making it unable to detect the coil resistance of 0.2 - 0.7 Ohm between the stator 3 leads?
Each leg of the stator leads, when tested in relation to earth, should be infinity ohms.
Finally there is the AC volatge test with the stator connector disconnected and the motor running. The AC voltage readings should be in the region of 60 - 75V (ac).

Offline crazyhorse

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2024, 15:58:05 »
Hi Jim13

Just for your knowledge I have a stator from a L2 (2012 650 Glee) sitting on my shelf and the bike has been sold.

This stator was rewound by West Country Windings and has never been back on a bike, as Suzuki recalled the stators on these Glees.

Now I am pretty sure its a straight fit to your bike, but if interested please do your research and check.

If you need more info please PM me.

Fifty of the drinking vouchers, I think would be a fair price if you wish to proceed.

Cheers
Crazyhorse

Online Jim13_Wee_Strom

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2024, 17:18:53 »
Gentlemen, thank you for your replies and suggestions...

Kwackboy... between the three stator wires and to ground
Gert...
IBA Member

Online Jim13_Wee_Strom

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2024, 17:33:35 »
... I did initially get a deflection / reading across pins 2-3 but no matter how I wiggle the wires, attach the probes to the socket pins I've not been able to replicate the reading. As for measuring the output voltage across the pins... that's going to entail refitting the stator and adding some engine oil to run the engine.

When I tested the rectifier I got the expected readings so moved on to the battery. After a recharge overnight (and an hour to stand) the battery stands up to a voltage drop test better than I expected to be honest.

A notification a new stator is on the way has been received  :)
I'll post how the rebuild goes after this weekend as I'm going to be occupied at Lydden Hill with BHRC  :grin:
IBA Member

Offline Gert

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 07:16:58 »
Before you replace the suspect stator with a new one, start and run the bike with the aid of your battery pack / donor battery. Disconnect the stator connector and test the AC voltage output of the suspect stator. Let me know the results.
I trust that you have confirmed that your multimeter is fuctioning correctly?  I'm asking because I was caught out a while back, when using a friend's no-brand name multimeter that had a low multimeter battery. Fun and games chasing my tail looking why I wasn't getting strange readings on the meter.

Offline Robotstar5

• Bike: DL650K5
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 15:51:01 »
I usually dig out the old AVO if I'm looking for accurate low resistance readings.

Online Jim13_Wee_Strom

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 16:59:23 »
Had an AVO meter once, trusted what it indicated and used it as and when, even fell on it once without breaking it (hip didn't fare so well  :icon_no:) ... some light fingered shed visitor "friend" helped himself to it  ### The Chinese cheapshite MM that 'lived on top of it' on the shelf is still there  :shrug:
IBA Member

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2024, 17:31:07 »
Can't have been that "light fingered" Jim13

The model 8 probably mk3 or 4 AVOs I used to use had a built in security feature.
As you can see from Robotstars picture they were that big and heavy that by definition nobody truly light fingered would've had the strength to nick one...😄

Online Jim13_Wee_Strom

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2024, 21:09:57 »
Update...
The new stator arrived arrived late this PM, so I set about unwinding the wires from around the engine and frame to remove the old stator. I didn't notice this though when I initially disconnected the rectifier plug socket from the stator plug... turns out that two of the wires were barely making a connection.

I've started to fit the replacement stator, which took less than 10 minutes, and will rebuild the rest of the bike tomorrow which is going to take way longer.
IBA Member

Offline Gert

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2024, 07:57:24 »
I would try to repair the damaged leads and see then whether the stator works after the repair.
If the repair works out for you, maybe you can return the newly bought stator for a refund?

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2024, 12:01:05 »

Wiring in the plug was going to be my suggestion as I had a similar issue on the Varadero and it wasn't till I dug around and found a horrible corroded mess in the plug that I sorted it.   Replaced the Polly plug and socket with some good quality "bullet" connectors..  charging and fluctuation issues solved.. 
I also added a separate earth direct from the reg body to the battery..  as the frame contact was a bit ropey...

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2024, 13:53:52 »
Urm Varadero 1000, knows as most 90's Honda designs were for iffy Reg/Rec's inc the connector blocks and blowing the main fuse, sometime with smoke and fire involved.  :shrug:

Ride Coordinator