Author Topic: DL1000 K2 Madstad Screen query  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Troutman

• Bike: DL1000 K2, Ducati 1000SS, Yamaha TR1, Yamaha 750 Custom
DL1000 K2 Madstad Screen query
« on: August 16, 2020, 08:39:31 »
I was out on my Vee (is that right? DL1000) yesterday, did about 200miles around the beautiful Scottish Borders ending up at Carlisle Airport.
The bike was brilliant but for the first time ever riding bikes for 30yrs I experienced "buffeting" , to the point my vision was blurred.
The bike has an MRA screen with an adjustable "wing" on the top which I played about with but nothing worked around 80mph.
I don't like the look of the Givi Air ...  but the Madstad gets great reviews and looks fine, but I keep reading "stock screen" , so do you have to have a stock screen as well as the Madstad or do you remove everything and fit it on it's own?

Also..could I fit my MRA screen to Madstad brackets to save a few quid.?

Offline old git

• Bike: DL1000 L6, BMW R1250RT
Re: Madstad Screen query
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2020, 09:23:49 »
I went from standard screen to MRA and this did improve bufetting but still wasn't great and noise was so bad I had to wear ear plugs for the first time in 40 years. I love the bike and thought I'd just have to live with it. Everyone seems to experience different levels of noise and buffering no matter what screens are used. I read a lot about people changing from standard mirrors and getting results. I took the Suzuki mirrors off and went for a ride and noticed a massive improvement. Not wanting to do without mirrors completely and after reading good reports about mirrors from Halfords I thought I'd give them a try. They were £20 plus postage and they are a great improvement. I'm back to riding without ear plugs and the functionality of the new mirrors is close to standard.
It might be worth taking a 20 quid punt rather than spending a lot more on a screen?

My bike is 2016 DL1000

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2020, 10:01:58 »
It seems, oddly, you can't buy the bracket without a screen for the k2 DL1000. That makes it an even dearer punt. You say you have an MRA "wing" on your screen. Is it the Vario type with about 7 slightly different positions, or the x-creen type with just one arm each side and much more adjustment? I fitted the x-creen touring version on the glee, and it worked very well. I've just put the sport version on the KTM and that's very good too. Much more useful than the small vario spoilers, which have two short arms of unequal length at each side. The x-creen comes with clamps to fit your existing screen and a bolt on kit if you're brave enough to drill your screen. I was. It's easy.

Offline endintears

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 10:48:09 »
Just a note of caution.
Double check what ever you are thinking of purchasing will fit as I think the 2002/3 Vee screen mount is different to the later Vee and Wee models.

Offline tallpaul

• Tastier than the Barrow-in-Furness bus depot...
  • Bike: 2016 Yamaha XT1200ZE
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 11:37:01 »
Good shout Endintears, pre 2004 vees have a fixed screen. From 2004 onwards the vee and the wee had the same height adjustable screen setup. They are not interchangeable.
Old enough to know better, but still too young to care...

Offline Troutman

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 11:40:01 »
Quote removed

Yeah I've read about possibly the mirrors causing the buffeting but I love those mirrors, best I've ever had to be honest. I'll take them off and see if that's part of the cause.

Offline Troutman

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 11:42:53 »
Quote removed

I think it's the Vario type, you can push it up and down as well as the angle while riding actually but nothing seemed to work.
If I raise my head above the screen, no buffeting just smooth blast and dip below on the tank it's so calm and quiet but as soon as I sit in normal relaxed riding position it's hellish.

Offline Troutman

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 11:44:04 »
Quote removed

I'll make sure it's for the 2002 bike, I noticed they changed in 2004
I looked this morning and I can't see where the brackets would fit to, it's like you say, the screen is fixed in a slot, it looks great but I can't deal with blurred vision, it's flipping dangerous.

I think on K2/3's they must bolt (the brackets) on to the original screen which I don't have.

Offline Troutman

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2020, 12:44:57 »
I wonder if removing the Vario spoiler and fitting the X creen spoiler might help

https://www.bikehps.com/mra/x-creen.html

Offline Troutman

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2020, 08:18:50 »
Has anyone had any joy with the Zero Gravity Touring Screen
Can't seem to find any reviews on it

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
Re: DL1000 K2 Madstad Screen query
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 18:14:06 »
Troutman, I altered your Subject line with K2 info, as it might attract the attention of someone with a K2 who can help! :thumb:

Also, have you seen these? https://www.slipscreens.co.uk/products/motorcycle-parts/motorcycle-screens/?make=10

WE ALSO OFFER A BESPOKE SCREEN MANUFACTURING SERVICE AND ARE HAPPY TO PRODUCE SCREENS FROM WAY BACK WHEN TO THE PRESENT DAY. 

I'm sure you can ask for extra height, width etc...
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline Troutman

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 18:46:21 »
Thanks for that, I'll take a look
I'm going to have a conversation with HPA (MRA agents) and ask if the X-creen fits the same holes as the Vario.

I suppose with screens it's a very personal fit and you've got to keep trying until something works for you which means the possibility of ££££

Offline Troutman

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 13:28:07 »
I went with the MRA X-creen Tour version so deeper than the Vario.
It was a bit fiddly (with failing eyesight)  to assemble but fantastic instructions and it went in the same holes exactly that the Vario had left so no filing or drilling.
Took it for a ride and eventually found a position that was much better but still not ideal, I'll persevere and see if I can get a better angle but it's much better and way more comfortable at 80 now.
The Vario spoiler is going in the For Sale section now.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 14:08:38 »
 :thumb:  I've found the x-creen much better than vario. I had the tour version on the glee, and now have the sport version on the KTM. A lot more adjustability then vario and you can gain a lot of height above the screen. Useful in rain.

Offline Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 10:56:38 »
I have the MRA vario touring screen on my K7 with the screen in the top position I think (has to be there for the excellent Marselus Sat Nav bracket). Although I also have mirror extenders and bar risers, which I never knew I wanted until I bought a bike with them already on, so my mirrors are massively out of position vs factory in relation to the screen.
I'm 6'2" and I don't get knocked about as such but I do have to tuck in behind the screen at 70+ to get much outright protection from the wind, tank bag makes a nice chin rest anyway :).
Noise not so much of an issue though since I never ride without plugs, I actually find vented earplugs make the bike, the road and my intercom easier to hear by cutting high pitch noise so I wear them regardless.

Offline hotbulb

• Bike: DL650 L4
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2020, 16:38:57 »
Ref the mirrors..... try some mirror extenders (cheap'n'cheerful!) before changing the mirrors. I like the standard mirrors for their excellent field of view, and, with extenders, I find them better than the Aprilia/diamond type buffeting-wise.
(Like these https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/10mm-std-mirror-extender-black-578238  but check they have the right threads - can't remember exactly what I used)