Author Topic: SCOTTOILER???????  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Pimp my Bike

SCOTTOILER???????
« on: July 17, 2008, 15:24:35 »
As I’m considering getting one  - what are the thoughts

Universal Kit?
Touring Kit?
Lube tube?
Dual injector?

Or

Chain Lube spray

Many thanks for any input
Those who dream by day are cognisant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Offline andyberg

Re: SCOTTOILER???????
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 15:29:15 »
I've just bought a used Touring kit off Ebay, downloaded the instructions only to find its not recommended for the strom :roll:
Called them this am asking why the didn't recommend the touring kit, they replied due to rear plate light not lining up etc...no real reason but just covering themselves!

Anyhow, that's what I've gone for..can let you know how it is after I fit it this weekend(probably)

Offline Tanzy

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 15:31:30 »
Quote from: "Pimp my Bike"
As I’m considering getting one  - what are the thoughts

Universal Kit?
Touring Kit?
Lube tube?
Dual injector?

Or

Chain Lube spray

Many thanks for any input

Touring Kit will not fit on the 650 not sure about the 1000. I have just purchased one, got the Universal Kit and the Lube Tube (I think that it was the Lube Tube, basically it enables you to hold more oil).

Not fitted it yet, doing that on the 28th as a mate is going to be at mine and he has fitted one before. I can let you know how it goes once it is fitted if you want. Also if I remember, I will try to take some photos as we fit it.

Offline Pimp my Bike

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 18:11:46 »
Quote from: "andyberg"
Anyhow, that's what I've gone for..can let you know how it is after I fit it this weekend(probably)

Quote from: "Tanzy"
I can let you know how it goes once it is fitted if you want. Also if I remember, I will try to take some photos as we fit it.

Many thanks …much appreciated
Those who dream by day are cognisant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Offline GrandadsV

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 20:30:04 »
Quote from: "andyberg"
I've just bought a used Touring kit off Ebay, downloaded the instructions only to find its not recommended for the strom :roll:
Called them this am asking why the didn't recommend the touring kit, they replied due to rear plate light not lining up etc...no real reason but just covering themselves!

Andyberg,
the extra oil reservoir as you know fits between the rear number plate and the mud guard, during another life on the VFR forum there was problems fitting the touring kit to the V-tec VFR. Scottoiler recommended that the rear mudguard would NOT take the weight of the touring kit, and factor in the vibration you get on a bike and indeed some mudguards had failed :shock: it will obviously push you number plate out, may be to far for the light. I would not fit one to my DL1000, the mudguard seems to much of a  lightweight . universal unit under the seat for me :D
Dick

"Spike Malignant" That well known typing error.

Offline barnabas

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 21:01:19 »
Scottoilers - brilliant in my opinion. I'm a bit perturbed by the information about the lightweight mudguard as I had the touring kit fitted to my new 650. It was fitted by a very experienced Suzuki mechanic whom I have known for about 10 years and I do trust his judgement . However I wasn't even aware of their being any issues with the weight.It certainly doesn't look too bulky or unsightly but the range between fill-ups is measured in thousands rather than hundreds of miles.

The actual space isn't a problem - it fits very well behind the number plate. I suppose if the weight is an issue you could always limit yourself to only half filling the reservoir - that'll still give 1 - 2000 miles

No problems experienced so far in the first 500 miles but I'm just about to go on a long trip around Ireland and will let you know if any longer term problems - better pack the Gaffer tape!

Offline andyberg

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 21:09:34 »
I can't see any problems re: weight etc, as I said, the blerk at Scottoiler said its merely not recommended by them just to cover their backs in this litigation fueled world!! :roll:

I'll just going to pack out the numberplate light so its back into its right position and if I see any problems occuring with the reservoir, I'll make up a lightweight bracken to support it...hardly rocket science! :)

Offline GrandadsV

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 21:25:49 »
Did not wish to start scare mongering blokes, it was just something that came up on the VFR site and has stuck in my mind. As you say andyberg, Scottoiler is just protecting their back from litigation.
Dick

"Spike Malignant" That well known typing error.

Offline stonehenge

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 22:09:25 »
I used to have scotties on all my bikes, but I found that they were very messy.  I have not put one on my last two stroms but manually add scottoil every other ride (need centre stand).  I also clean my chain every fortnight.  The lube is great the delivery not so good imho.  For days away on the bike, I use a old workshop shringe to add lube periodically.  

However, I do not waste money on spray wax!
Previous: GS850, Thundercat, Honda X11, Transalp, VFR 800, GSX750x2, RF900, XT600, Mille, K2 Vee, K6 Wee, K7 Vee, 955 Tiger, BMW1150GSA, Honda CB250RS, BMW R1200RT, Honda XL650V Transalp, 2012 R1200GS, 2015 and 2016 R1200GSA, F750GS, F850GSA, FJR1300A, G310GS, Benelli TRK502, Now DL1050A

Offline Bob

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 13:10:22 »
Hello
I've had a Touring Scottoiler fitted for ages with no problems and the chains seem to last forever. I do agree that it is a bit messy but if you don't touch it you don't get dirty and that bit of bike never goes rusty.
I have been looking at the new slipperjack on the scottoiler website a great little add on that cleans and oils the chain in a much more controlled way I think  that will be my next investment . how exciting! :zzz:

Offline barnabas

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 21:01:59 »
Quote from: "Bob"
...I have been looking at the new slipperjack on the scottoiler website a great little add on that cleans and oils the chain in a much more controlled way I think  that will be my next investment . how exciting! :zzz:

How does that work?

Offline Tanzy

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 21:08:04 »
If it is what I'm thinking about, rarther than just droping the oil onto the chain. It wraps around it. Although, you can't get it at the moment as they are changing it.

http://www.scottoiler.com/slipperblock-system.asp

Offline barnabas

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 22:00:38 »
Thanks Tanzy - looks like a must-have when it's available

Offline pad

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 20:01:32 »
I have had scottoilers on my last two bikes. Both did around 12k and only needed one adjustment the whole time. Can be a bit fiddly to get right but worth the effort.

Offline andyberg

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 22:01:03 »
Started tonight to fit my Touring kit...
No problems as yet altho trying to get the pipes to look neat is nigh-on impossible, I have routed my oiler line round inside of the mudguard(wheel side) fixed with black cable ties, round the exhaust mount and down to the swing arm under the seat unit
I'm fitting a dual nozzle which was a pain to mount,I do have doubts as to its 'longevity'

So now, I just have to route the vaccuum pipe and connect up!

Absolutely no problems with the weight of the unit damaging the rear mudguard IMHO...fits well apart from the numberplate light needing modifying so the plate actually gets light on it!!(I'm going to think about what to do there :crazy: )
Anyone with a tourer kit fitted, I would appreciate a couple of pics of how the pipes have been routed etc just to see if there's a better solution than how I have done it!!

(pictures of my fit to follow tomorrow hopefully!)

Not convinced about that slipperblock...I think it'll be knackered within a few hundred miles, think it'll be 'flicked off' by anything other than a perfectly adjusted new chain.....Just my opinion :)