Author Topic: Spark plug cap problem  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Staffan

• Bike: DL650 K8
Spark plug cap problem
« on: October 15, 2018, 05:03:49 »
As I was replacing my spark plugs yesterday, I noticed that one of the caps didn't sit firmly on the spark plug. There was no resistance when pulling it off.

Is it possible to fix the cap somehow, or do I need to purchase a new one?

I have a 2007 V-Strom 650 with four spark plugs.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
Re: Spark plug cap problem
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 07:05:56 »
Easiest is to replace the cap and future problems with it are solved. Sometimes the contact lug inside the cap can be closed up a bit, to make better. To do this, unscrew the cap from the plug lead. Use a flash light to look inside at the condition of the cap lug internals. Depending on the condition of the cap and the type of cap that you have on your bike, you may be able to tweak the contact lug a bit with a narrow screwdriver. Take care that you don't damage the rubber casing. Also take note, that the tip of the spark plug (where it makes contact with the plug cap) is screwed up tightly. For what it's worth, replace the cap. Way easier and less hassle in the long run.

Offline hookie

• Bike: DL1000 K8, '85 Honda XBR500 race bike, '86 XBR road bike, '51 Sunbeam S8
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 07:10:53 »
The new plugs might have come with the little screw tops on them and the plug caps will only fit when these have been removed. So it's worth checking. If they have and the plug caps still don't fit securely then a new set of caps will be the answer.

Offline Staffan

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:07:43 »
Thanks. I'll have a look when I get home today!

Offline Staffan

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 08:09:35 »
One more thing. I guess I need to check with the Suzuki dealer for the original parts, as all four spark plug caps are different (one is very tall, one is angled, and so on).

Offline Brockett

• Bike: 2022 Moto Guzzi 850 V7 special in blue, 2022 850 V7 Stone in darkest black, 1998 XJ600n in red
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:36:48 »
If you check the "download section" for Parts for the K7 you will see there are two different part numbers shown for plug caps.

https://www.v-strom.co.uk/downloads/DL650K7Parts.pdf
This doesn't last forever, so do it while you can.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 07:21:02 »
Adding to the post #3 by hookie. Something to perhaps look out for, is that lately I have come across a small number of bikes with aftermarket spark plug caps fitted. The most common being those from NGK. I can only guess that this was either a less expensive option or that there was no stock at the time of purchase. Anyhow, it is safer to check which plug cap internals you have by using a flash light.

Offline Staffan

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 13:41:01 »
Quote removed

OK. Can the internals of the plug cap be replaced? If so, might it be that the new internal requires the threaded part on the spark plug to fit correctly?

I've ordered a new spark plug cap today.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 19:28:05 »
The internals of an oem plug cap cannot be changed or repaired.
Inside the plug cap is a spring clip (we can call it that) which holds the cap onto the spark plug top securely to stop it bouncing off.
Over time this spring clip wears loose due to the heat / vibration,  once this occurs you can replace them with either an oem replacement or an NGK equivalent.
NGK plug caps are as good as Oem and cheaper but they tend not to fit the rubber hats that cover the deep sunken plugs that come with the OEM plug caps.
On external plugs, I'd use NGK but the sunken plugs best use OEM .
Chief trouble maker 🙂