Author Topic: Joys of commuting  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Daimo

• Bike: DL650X L6, Benelli Tornado, CBR600FX (Race)
Joys of commuting
« on: December 04, 2016, 21:43:50 »

I've been doing this for 18 years now, the commuter run is an utter nightmare.  Luckily I can see a situation before it happens (not all of the time though).

I've got a mic now, so I'll be doing a series of videos and getting them online.

PS, if you want to watch any racing/trackday videos, I've got a few of those too  :lala:

https://www.youtube.com/bikersbitz

Offline Mark Shelley

• Bike: GW250 SV650N
Re: Joys of commuting
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 22:04:27 »
That move at 30 secs in was a bit silly wasn't it.

Offline kwackboy

• Bike: BMW F800GS Adventure, Honda CB500s
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 22:47:24 »
Blimey .. some of the car drivers didn't stand a chance, again the move between the car and van around 32 secs wasn't your greatest. 
Slow down a little , you will get less incidents.
Chief trouble maker 🙂

Offline Daimo

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 22:48:15 »
It goes into 3 lanes, every day people in the right lane go straight to the outside lane, even the blue van did.  All bikers go up the middle, its just the white van decided to veer into the middle lane too.  Wasn't expected, but lesson was learnt

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 07:12:17 »
Some bad ones in it especially the left turning car c.58 secs. Not sure I saw anything wrong with the last one - car seemed to stop reversing as soon as you became visible behind parked cars.

I know youtube can make speed hard to read but it seems to me that's not very defensive riding going on there, but suppose in reality you may be more comfortable with the speed for road conditions.

Ride safe  :thumb:

Offline In me shed

• Bike: Gleek 650 XT AL6, BMW R1100RS, KH250 Tripple,
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 10:12:41 »
We all know some drivers can't see anything behind them but I do think you need to ride a bit more defensively. I commute 16miles into Manchester everyday, 10 of which is filtering. If I see a gap I automatically assume someone will go for it so ride accordingly.

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 16:37:21 »
you are riding like you want an accident

Offline Daimo

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 17:17:44 »
As mentioned originally, I saw a lot of them coming, I've got quite a few years experience doing this.  I've added annotations for the the middle lane one now.

As for defensive riding, I'll just have a chuckle at that one.  Every time you get one the bike its defensive riding.  Most are fore-seen, some arn't.  Reversing onto a main road for example, shouldn't be done, and I'd literally just got on the bike so wasn't expecting that one.  If you ride into a city centre, the method of riding is completley different from that of just going out for a bimble.

Offline Tusker

• Bike: NO BIKE
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 17:23:45 »
I'll bow to your superior knowledge, but in my opinion riding to make good time all the time is riding for a crash. I make progress when its OK to do so. I do only go out for bimbles so you may be right..  But you look like you are hasty to me.. Ride safe

Offline In me shed

• Bike: Gleek 650 XT AL6, BMW R1100RS, KH250 Tripple,
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 17:56:05 »
Daimo, I'd be carefull about which bits of the video you post, I'm pretty sure you committed a number of offences yourself in this clip. I was going to post something myself a while ago when I was nearly taken out but the footage eitherside was a bit incriminating. :)

Online UK_Vstrom650

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 18:17:30 »
I thought the reversing car was coming off their drive - quite common really in a housing estate...  :shrug:

Offline roganjoshing

• Loving my first Vee Twin
  • Bike: DL650 L0
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 19:13:56 »
Yep, row of cars standing still usually signals something holding them up. I'd get some training if I was you.

Offline chris1200

• Bike: 2008 V Strom 650.
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 19:31:26 »
Sorry but most of them are easy avoids and you wouldn't even need to brake (and probably make better time). The problem I have is "It's all the drivers fault, never the biker" attitude. You are right on one point though, Commuting should be a joy. Not an excuse to find an excuse to get all angry. Ahh well, each to their own.  :eusa-doh:

Offline Rich:-)

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 19:55:40 »
I think "Rider Fails" would be a more relevant title for that video, you are probably one of the few riders that gives other riders a bad rep.

Sure..., I ride like an idiot at times but afterwards (and something during) I'm honest with myself about it and I don't try to blame the car drivers.

Sorry if this is painful to read but it is far less painful than what could be waiting for you if you continue riding like that.

Two quick facts for you.
Commuting does not give you right of way.
Car drivers get hurt substantially less than bikers do when their paths cross.

You might also want to watch your undertaking. :shock:

Offline listermint

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 23:04:29 »
There's over confidence in your driving and not enough defensive driving. Your anticipation is presently in a shambles.  You need to take an advanced riders course asap. There will be no negative impact in doing this and a massive positive. Keeping you upright and alive.