Author Topic: Stator?  (Read 548 times)

Offline Valzdl650

• DL650 Paderborn germany
  • Bike: DL650 K5
Stator?
« on: April 09, 2024, 22:39:39 »
Finished a 11 hour shift bike won’t start , battery dead! Running up and down the hill trying to bump it but could get enough speed ! Dramas could it be a stator what keeps draining battery? Infuse bike everyday so it’s always running , never stays still, but every morning it feels like it don’t want to turn over

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
Re: Stator?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 22:50:25 »
I'm no expert but first thing I'd do is try a new battery. Could be the reg/rec too?

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 23:37:06 »
Yh I can get another battery I will bring the charger tomorro and get it charged so I can bring it home, but I think maybe an issue somewhere as the battery ain’t old

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 02:47:13 »
You need a smart charger for a sealed battery, a normal (fixed rate) charger will fry the battery, Optimate is my choice. You will also need a multimeter,a cheap one is fine. When fully charged and then left to settle for a couple of hours the battery should read about 12 .6 volts with the multimeter before connecting to the bike.No point testing the charging system with a poor battery.
After starting the bike the battery should read 13.5 to 14.8 volts ,at say 3,000 rpm, with the multimeter at the terminals.
If low reg/stator/wiring is faulty.
Early 650s did have poor stators.
See second post here.
https://www.stromtrooper.com/threads/voltage-question.443051/

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2024, 07:57:40 »
Did you take note of the position of the key when you unlocked the bike? Any chance that you may have inadvertently switched the park lights on when you locked the steering?
After 11 hrs the battery will be drained to the point where there will be almost zero useable voltage left. Even a jump start may not of helped any, due to the low battery voltage.
Often batteries that have been drained to that extent, do not recover well after a recharge. A new battery is the best option.

Online mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 08:39:24 »
You'll not be able to bump start the bike if the battery is too low to prime the fuel injection system.
If there is no pressure - she is never going to start. (IIRC it's around 50psi needed)

My suspicion would be the side light have been left on - we've all done it at some point.

Ride Coordinator

Offline minkyhead

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 09:16:05 »
check the battery of course 
  if its still real slow  to tuun over try  running a earth from the battery direct to the starter chassis 
    my old 650   had symtoms of  very slow cranking   and battery drain   but the voltmeter  said it was OK  this went on for months   ..I bench tested the starter and it  shot along the  bench   ...oops     :icon_exclaim:
     running a new permenant earth   made the starter  spin like a newun 
long shot I guess  but  if the battery has  held some charge  and its not wanting to crank    its worth a shot   ..only takes   a minute to do    .. 

What's the weather forecast  ...where's  me map

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2024, 13:47:01 »
Asking for a nice but dim friend "How would he connect a permanent earth" ? As I said, he is dim.  :thumb:

I would guess, take a wire from the negative on the starter motor and lock it under a bolt on the frame or engine but that seems too simple?  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 19:01:13 »
Thanks everyone, man if you would have seen me running up and down the street last night trying to bump it to no effect , misses weren’t happy she had to get out of bed and drive 40 mins to come and get me ….
Anyways

Went to work today by train bought my charger , stuck battery on for good 8 hour , put it in the bike and it didn’t even active the fuel stunk of eggs!! Googled it and it said obv battery is done fuming , my heated grips and aux lights connect to ignition so everything goes off when the key comes out , been having this issue for a while all thou never let me down usually sounds a little sluggish to turn over but now it’s completely dead, train home now and new battery tomorro

Online Rixington43

• Bike: DL1000GT K7
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2024, 19:16:27 »
Assuming the new battery fires the bike up, get a multimeter on there straight away and check you're getting 14ish volts as a buggered reg/rec could cook a new battery in pretty short order and then you're buying another battery on top of the reg/rec you'll have to replace.
Fingers crossed it was just a battery at the end of it's life though.

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2024, 20:15:35 »
So if I go up and put battery in and it’s not reading that what would be next steps, reg/rec?

Online Rixington43

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2024, 20:23:04 »
Reg/rec would usually be the next step but stator failure isn't unheard of on stroms. The service manual in the downloads section will list the procedure for testing both components I believe.
Mainly though I just mean check the charging voltage as soon as the bike is running. If you're still seeing around 12V then you're not charging and the battery will die with use. If you're seeing over 17V and the voltage goes up higher when you rev the engine then you're overcharging (almost certainly reg/rec rather than stator at that point) and you'll cook the battery risking overheating/swelling or even bursting which are all pretty bad.

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2024, 20:28:39 »
OK I grab a multi metre and new battery , if either of these are the issue do you think a new battery could get me a start so I can get the bike back to mine 🫠🫠🫠

Online Rixington43

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2024, 20:38:30 »
I couldn't possibly recommend it but 😉.
Under charging or not charging at all and you should get her home on the full charge of a new battery, provided you only start her once and you turn all your ancillaries off of course. I rode home on a dead battery once and I just upped the idle a chunk to avoid stalling since I knew I didn't have another crank.
Over charging and I wouldn't ride it as you'll likely cook the battery if not more.

Others may have differing opinions so don't take my word for it, I wouldn't want to be responsible for further damage. Hopefully it's just the battery though.

Offline purplebikeunicorn

• Bike: DL650A L7
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2024, 21:03:23 »
How far is home?

Pull the low beam fuse, save yourself 5 amps, I bet on a full charge you'll be fine, but make sure you charge the battery when you get home.

That said, if the battery is duff, the colder night might just have killed it.

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2024, 21:17:42 »
To be fair ain’t been cold here I think OK the battery probably fucked but it’s 6 month old and the bike is never off so I’m thinking maybe something is drawing the current 😞 hopefully battery will sort it and I’ll do multimeter test I got a 1987 cbr 600f pc13 I’m restoring so the dust seals for forks have arrived wanted to spend tomorro putting that all back together , done a complete strip down new clutch new chain new steering bearings but I suppose I’ll be driving about to sort the wee out

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2024, 21:20:12 »
Hello minky how do I do the earth to chassis I think mine need to do what you said

Offline Valzdl650

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2024, 21:20:52 »
50 km home straight down the autobahn door to door

Offline Ian P

• Bike: DL650 K8, 1976 Moto Guzzi T3 California
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2024, 23:46:53 »
Hi there,
Just to add some input, I had a very similar occurrence the other year when I was out in the middle of nowhere (we get a lot of that in Aus) my battery went flat as I was riding.
Managed to get a jump start from a mine site vehicle (they were some BIG jumper cables!) and got close to home.

long story short, I came back the next day with a new fully charged battery, and the old one that I recharged and managed to get the bike the remaining 35 KM home on a fully charged battery.

Now, I didn't pull the fuse for the lights but that would have got me a bit further if I had. So I would say that, on balance, if you disable the headlights (as they draw a large amount of power) then you should be able to make it the 50 KM home on a fully charged battery, so long as you don't have to stop and restart the bike.

The issue with my bike was a fried stator, which I had to get rewound. Apparently this is not an uncommon problem with 650's. I diagnosed it by checking the AC voltage output from the 3 yellow wires from the stator with the engine running.

It was also evident when I removed the stator cover that the windings had shorted to earth as it had a few of the coils blackened and stank!

Good luck with the fix and keep us all updated.
In the words of Rob Hunter of the Grateful Dead:
"what a long strange trip it's been"

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2024, 00:34:01 »
There was a stator recall done on the 650's, I had mine done maybe 5 years ago far as I remember,
can you check on the Suzuki site if your bike is due for that stator recall?