Other Stuff > The Blue Oyster bar

I have developed ninja-like reflexes! :-)

(1/3) > >>

loggamatt:
Had a really heart stopping moment on the bike today... thought you may find the mental image of it comical so I had better share :)

I'm riding along a bit of boring dual carriageway road in a London suburb when I notice one of the little rain stopper things on my iPhone mount was open. I absent mindedly start pushing it back in with my left hand, not remembering that the way to detach the phone case from the mount is also to push it from left to right....

Suddenly, my phone is plummeting from the mount, with cat like reactions I bring my left hand back to the handlebars, pull in the clutch and manage to grab the phone with my right hand when it was already halfway down the front forks! Relief! .....

.... but then, oh god! Traffic lights! I can't use the front brake because I'm holding my iPhone, so I let out the clutch to get some engine braking and use the rear brake... but whoa, that's a lot of engine braking! What's going on? ....... Oh no, I must have hit the engine kill switch with my right arm as I grabbed the falling phone. So I use the side of my hand to turn the kill switch off and restart the engine, and somehow I manage to go down through the gears and brake quickly enough to come to a stop at the lights, at which point I am able to reattach the phone to the mount.

Considering I am well known for having no hand-eye coordination and have probably never successfully caught anything other than a cold in my life, I would say that me successfully managing to save my phone like that is about a 1 in a million chance! I will now definitely be attaching a security cord to the phone so that if it comes away from the mount again it is not up to me to catch it.

And, before anyone says it... yes I realise that the correct thing to do would be to let the phone fall and concentrate on stopping safely for the traffic lights, as getting hit sideways by traffic is an infinitely worse scenario than losing a phone. But, in the heat of the moment obviously I was willing to risk sacrificing my own life more than I was willing to pay £500 for a new phone!  lol

doboy:
get a £10 phone then you can just drop it and buy a new one ?

JRS81:
Ha ha! Fantastic mental image there! Sadly I'm sure very few people around you on the road appreciated the skill and dexterity required to pull of this feat of phone juggling and bike control!

jabmotorsport:
go and buy a lottery ticket quick.

loggamatt:
Ha... yeah... sadly, I imagine I have now used up all of my 2013 supply of good luck with this one. It will be banana skins and walking into lamp posts all the way from now on  :)

Phone is mounted as I use it as a Sat Nav, couldn't do that with a cheap phone.

Seems like the mounting case came with a lanyard thing. It's almost as if they could foresee this scenario! I have now actually attached lanyard to case  :shy:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version