Author Topic: 2017 DL650 with centre stand replacement exhaust suggestions ?  (Read 2789 times)

Offline stevewestern

• Bike: Honda CBF1000
I've not even got my bike yet but am hoping to get a slightly louder exhaust but it seems that so far the only ones I can find won't fit a bike with a centre stand.
I'll carry on looking, but if anyone has any suggestions then I'd be grateful !

Offline rikpward

• Bike: DL1050XT, Moto Morini 350 Strada, Buell XB9R Firebolt, Yamaha MT09
Re: 2017 DL650 with centre stand replacement exhaust suggestions ?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2021, 18:51:02 »
Delkevic or Mivv are your best bet but are you going to have spend extra on a remap or flash or something else to trick the engine management system into not playing games. Then would you be MOT compliant? So why?

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 08:22:10 »
I was under the impression that the delkevic (not heard of Mivv) and the Black Widow, who I now know can supply an end can we both plug and play, ie no remap or whatever needed.
I'd certainly want to keep mot compliant, but am of the belief that a little more noise does help make car drivers and pedestrians more aware and I like a little more noise too!

Offline rikpward

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 08:58:36 »
Was not aware that Delkevic was a straight bolt-on. Same manufacturers claim this too but often isn't the case so that's a bonus. I wouldn't touch a Black Widow with a barge-poll, as I do not think the quality is up to scratch and the noise is obnoxious. Speaking of which, louder pipes are nothing but obnoxious and do not help you in any shape or form. Pedestrians will jump out of their skin or think "here comes another twat". There is enough science to disprove the louder cans saves lives myth, and Adventure Rider just wrote about this too in their latest publication. Simply put, vehicles do not usually hear the noise until you are next to or in front of them. Also, exhausts are not multi-tone, so you cannot distinguish direction... hence sirens of emergency vehicles are multi-pitch and multi-tone, as your brain can work out the direction. Loud pipes are partly to blame for the bad rep bikers often seem to have and are part of the reason green-laning/offroading is banned - not so much the erosion that bikes can cause, but the noise. I like a v-twin to sound like a proper v-twin, but you can get that beautiful grumble and note, without being noisier.

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 12:45:32 »
... and that grumble is the sort of noise I'd like, so maybe my choice of words was wrong. I'm certainly not a 'scare em' type.
As someone who has had 17 operations and several years on crutches recovering from them following an idiot who didn't see me I'm happy to do what I can to enhance my viability.
Can you suggest how I can get the grumble?

Offline tonybiker

• Bike: DL650 L7, BMW GS1100
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 12:56:35 »
interested steve also if anything comes up give me a shout I know where you are coming from  plenty grumps. :groan: :thumb:

Offline rikpward

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 13:18:40 »
Take a look at Arrow (https://www.arrow.it/en/assembled/1552/Suzuki-V-STROM-650-2017-2020). Quality products.

As for accidents, I hear you. I suffered from a broken back and a subdural hematoma last summer resulting from being rear-ended at 40mph when I was stationary. No loud exhaust would have saved me.

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 08:34:10 »
It seems that the Arrow only fits bikes up to 2016, so no good for my 2017...

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 08:31:51 »
I've just heard from Delkevic that they now have stock for my bike.
https://delkevic.co.uk/Suzuki/DL650%20V-Strom%20/2017/Suzuki-DL650-v-strom-17-20-decat-450mm-oval-stainless-bsau-silencer-exhaust-kit.html?search=
So, another question for those of you that have a Delkevic - did you need to remap, or does your bike run just fine ?
I have no experience or real idea what a remap is or does and want to remain fully legal, but if anyone feels like sharing any experience I'd be very grateful !
I expect I'll go for the 450mm as I don't want nasty-noisy, do they emit a good growl ?
Bike is arriving tomorrow, so the excitement is rising....!

Offline Mr Nick

• Certified Fisher Price trained technician
  • Bike: 1979 Suzuki TS185ER, 1979 Moto Guzzi V50, 1989 Moto Guzzi SP3, 2010 KTM 990 Adv
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 15:01:58 »
In very basic terms, the ECU in your bike takes a load of readings from sensors then looks at a table of values and reads how much fuel to send to the engine. A re-map replaces the table with a different one that allows for the changes you made as some of the readings from the sensors would be outside the normally expected ones, and the old table wouldn't work as well, or at all if the changes were extensive. The standard 'tables' on modern fuel injection systems are fairly tolerant of broadly like for like changes.
Delkevic say no remap is required with just that change. Beware if you decide you want to go to Europe though as the exhausts are not E marked and some places get a bit arsey about that. Fine if you're only staying in the UK though.
Seems pearl asbo orange is faster after all....

'Don't believe all the quotes in forum signatures' - Aristotle

'Ehh, good enough' - Mediocretes

Orange Bikes Matter!

Offline stevewestern

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 15:42:15 »
Thanks Mr Nick.
In all my years riding on the road I've only ever had one set of aftermarket pipes, and they came on my last bike so remaping etc is all new to my old brain. I can't see me going abroad for a while, but will try to remember your wise words just in case I do..