Author Topic: road 6  (Read 1464 times)

Offline sillyboy

• Bike: DL650 L7
road 6
« on: March 28, 2023, 14:32:07 »
just had a pair of road 6 fitted at 17500mls. will be a week or two before I try them out. came off conti ra3's which gripped very well but didn't handle so good. the rear always felt as if it was squared off even from new.it was badly squared by the time it came off but didn't feel much worse than new.

Offline AdvntureSi

• Bike: DL1000 AL4, Varadero 1000, Bandit 1200, RG250 Gamma MK3
Re: road 6
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 17:23:29 »
I have road 6 on but barely covered 1000 miles so far.. all in the dry..  but they seem pretty good.. a lot more testing soon this year though.. as I Got to get away....  :auto-dirtbike:

Offline The Doctor 46

• The Doctor 46
  • Bike: DL1000A L4. DL650 L2
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 17:45:07 »
I have road 6 on my bike. They stick like glue in the dry and I will never outride them. I've had my pegs touching down on both sides with confidence.

They are very good in the wet too but most of the roads where I live are covered in mud at this time of the year and nothing is going to give maximum confidence on those roads. They were very expensive though and I think next time I'll have a look at road 4's and may save £100 with no loss of grip.

When Pilot Roads first came out, I had them on a BMW 1150 GSA and I must say that I had the same confidence with them as I have now with the 6's on the Wee. I think all the Pilot Road range are very good and will probably always have Michelin.  :thumb:
Without rain, there would be no rainbows.

Offline nigel s

• Bike: DL650A M2
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 05:42:21 »
As the doctor46 said great tyres.
road 4 is a cheaper tyre but front has a flatter profile and turns much slower than road 6.
After having Nitron suspension on bike I found 6 on front would pick up imperfections in road, like a minor version of white lining.Dropping front tyre pressure from std 33 psi to 30 psi cured it, huge confidence in the front turning in now

Offline vstroman

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 20:09:13 »
I have been using 38 front 42 rear on Road 5's, maybe I'm using too much pressure?

Offline nigel s

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 05:00:26 »
Yeah,33psi front ,36psi rear is standard on my '22 model I would think yours was the same.Pretty much every bike I have owned,bar dirt bikes, have had 36 front 42 rear.So finding v strom pressures on chaingaurd had me double checking ,it was indeed correct.Try 33/36, costs nothing.

Offline SD12463

• Bike: DL650A L8
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 09:18:58 »
I too had a pair of road 6's fitted this month and am very happy with them. They are expensive but for me well worth the money, the bike feels great on them and the grip is confidence inspiring. Only had my DL650 AL8 for two years and was on Bridgestone Batlax Adventure A41s.
With respect to tyre pressure...
I don't know, some say always 36/42 which I am running with at the moment but I just noted on a Michelin web page for motorcycle tyre pressure they state go with the manufacturer's recommended. No problem so far at 36/42 but will be trying at the Suzuki recommended having read this post and Michelin advice.

Offline SD12463

• Bike: DL650A L8
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 10:30:48 »
Just an update since my last post...

Put the tyre pressures back to Suzuki recommended and can't say it feels any better or worse so left at that for now. Solo rider no luggage.

Offline Barbel Mick

• Bike: DL650A L2
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 17:36:40 »
Not that it matters now that you've changed from the A41's but according to Bridgestone you were running the correct pressures @ 36 & 42 psi. The max psi they recommend is 42 in both front & rear (see page from their website). When I fitted the A41's a couple of years ago I was told those pressures but because they were higher than I'd run previous sets (different makes) they were always on the 'standard' Suzuki recommendations from the chain guard (33 & 41 dual riding) so I emailed Bridgestone & got this reply................

"Dear Customer,
                        The 36/42 psi is for both solo and dual riding application. The design and development of the bike/tyre is conducted using one pressure in accordance with the tyre manufacturers regulations.  Lower pressures can be used but of course the lower one goes, the fewer miles will be achieved.  The best advise is to use 36/42 at all times

Regards

Bridgestone Customer Services"

I have continued to use those pressures & find they are perfect. I'm mostly two up but never alter them if I'm solo.
Mick

Retired Breakfast Tester and semi professional tumbler.

Offline Upt North

• Bike: DL650 L7
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 18:42:48 »
Thanks for posting Mick.
Very interesting and I will be on A41's soon, they're on the shelf.
36 does seem high for the front but I'll give it a whirl.
Upt.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 19:15:33 »
I find the reply barbelmick got from bridgestone interesting.The bit about tyre testing using one pressure in accordance with regulations sounds like an industry standard for comparative testing.In the boat trade we use various chemicals/plastics/composites and the data sheets for them have a standard used as a comparison so you can select the right product,for temp,thickness,strength, finish etc.We don't always use said product at the relative standard but it shows the difference between them in an ideal setting,which is useful.
I think their answer could reflect this.Also any modifications from standard can throw said calculations out so using tyre pressure recomendations can be seen as a safe start point from which to change to personal preferences as to feel and life.

Offline Gert

• Bike: DL650 K5 Blue, DL650 K6 Red
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 08:20:46 »
I'm not sure whether you have perhaps had a look at https://americansporttouring.com/find-the-best-tyre-pressure-for-your-motorcycle/ as regards tyre pressure ?

Good insight to tyre pressure is shared in the Youtube video by Dave Moss on tyre pressure, called: Contact Patch: Recommended Motorcycle tyre Pressures are Wrong.

Offline nigel s

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2023, 07:31:04 »
This conversation is as old as bikes themselves.Like screeens it's a personal thing.Even experts differ,my suspension bloke Darren at MCT told me to drop the rear psi on my fazer 1000 from 42 to 39, it worked.When I took it in for new tyres at SPS services(Horsford ,Norfolk, ace firm) Paul had a minor whinge at Darren for recommending that.Both are experts I trust so what to do?
Paul has a S1000R track bike,Darren a R1 he uses as a test mule.Paul complains, tongue in cheek, that Darren  is faster but is almost cheating due to having the best suspension set up .
39 psi it is then!!

ho hum