Author Topic: Another (I think) interesting engine.  (Read 599 times)

Offline TLPower

• Bike: ThunderBastard (KTM 1190 ADV)
Another (I think) interesting engine.
« on: July 21, 2021, 19:51:48 »
Apologies, yet another engine video. This one is one of my favourites.
To be happy, I don't need private helicopters,a Florida house or a yacht. I'm fine with my motorcycle,a trip to a forest in Bavaria and some lunch money.

Walter Rohrl.

Offline Rusty Nuts

• Manufacturer of iron oxide
  • Bike: KTM 1090 in orange, of course.
Re: Another (I think) interesting engine.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 20:16:48 »
 :thumb:  Unbelievable engines.  Brilliant.

Offline Ianmc

• Bike: DL650AL5
Re: Another (I think) interesting engine.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 21:39:09 »
   Thanks TLP,interesting video,I have seen a much shorter version of it some years ago.When I was a mixed infant (about 1955-8) I used to go on the train to Rugeley Trent Valley station from Walsall,I used to see the first experimental Class 55 (we just called it the Deltic) go north in the morning and south in the afternoon,from London to I think Edinburgh and back.It was easy to spot as it was painted blue.
    Being a diesel engineer for most of my working life I have seen some really interesting different types of engines.I used to work on the Rootes group TS3 engines fitted in trucks.It had 3 cylinders,6 pistons and 1 crankshaft with rocking beams to the conrods. Being a two-stroke there were no pushrods or camshafts and you could change a set of pistons in a day easily enough.Its biggest letdown was the shaft drive to the supercharger that had a special “shear” section, so if anything went wrong it sheared the drive shaft to stop anything getting through the air inlets to the cylinders.Biggest engine I ever worked on was a 5 cylinder diesel with pistons about 18 inches across at a sewerage pumping station nr. Bristol,it had a set of ladders to climb up and a walkway around the top.
    There is a really interesting museum at a place called Prickwillow in Norfolk if you want to see some BIG diesels, it’s well worth a run over when covid allows, we go on the bikes but you are better going on an”event” day when they start all of them up in turn.Find their website for any info.
Ian Mc.