Oily Rag - Dedicated to Pat, Greywolf. 26/06/45 - 04/06/18 > Oil/Lubrication

Chain oiler nozzle position

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mr Nick:
OP already has a competitor's oiler so you might not see any commission this time Ian.

Sorry, I thought you were a salesman for them...

Ianmc:
    Just a satisfied customer that doesn’t like throwing money away,it must be my Scottish ancestry,with a few relatives in Yorkshire.
    If anyone has any grief with their Scottoiler,when all of the lockdowns are over,I have a bag of bits that they are welcome to,I would prefer collection as there is a little oil left in the tank that I cannot for some reason empty out and I don’t think the postie would be too happy with blue oil on his hands and in his postbag 😂😂

Lemonwizard:
I certainly like my chain nice and clean https://imgur.com/a/0q1uDc1

I've thought about centrifugal force pulling the oil through the chain, but I don't see how centrifugal force alone keeps both sides of the chain lubricated. Well, I've never studied physics though. Plus, there are probably other things going on as well; perhaps the oil's being rubbed around on the chain rail guide (if that's how it's called). Anyway, single-sided lubrication seems to be working fine for the gentlemen here, so I'll go with that before needlessly tinkering around. Thanks.

Ianmc:
When I bought the present bike there was a Scottoiler fitted with a single sided feed,on the side that the nozzle was on, the chain links and sprocket were awash with oil, and the other side was totally red rusty including the link faces.The sprocket teeth and chain rollers were well lubricated, the other thing that put me off the Scottoiler is that if you have the bike running whilst stationary, the oiler is still working and it soon leaves a puddle of oil on the floor below the sprocket.

Oop North John:

--- Quote from: Ianmc on January 04, 2021, 17:48:18 ---the other thing that put me off the Scottoiler is that if you have the bike running whilst stationary, the oiler is still working and it soon leaves a puddle of oil on the floor below the sprocket.

--- End quote ---

That's one of the reasons I now use the TUTORO automatic oiler, another reason is there's no need to tap into a vacuum or electrics for it to work. It does have a similar problem with changes of temperature, just like the Scottoiler etc, but I find it easier to get it right, and so much easier to bleed as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version