Oily Rag - Dedicated to Pat, Greywolf. 26/06/45 - 04/06/18 > Oil/Lubrication

Chain oiler nozzle position

(1/3) > >>

Lemonwizard:
I bought a chain oiler system called "Nemo 2". While looking at the bike and where I could best position the oil reservoir I noticed that there was just one nozzle applying oil to my chain, and I thought how is one small nozzle supposed to keep a 1.5 cm wide chain well lubricated.

In a Youtube video guide they said you're supposed to let the nozzle rest against one side of the sprocket; this is also how the picture in the installation instructions looks like.

How is this supposed to oil the other side of the chain?  :crazy:

Perhaps I could cut the oil dispensing end in half and glue short pieces of tube to it so it can lubricate both sides of the sprocket?

Rixington43:
Well Scottoiler have now released a twin nozzle applicator which lubes both sides of the sprocket so obviously they believe there is a case for applying to both sides (or they just needed a new thing to sell :) ). All I can say is that, if you use the thin oil they specify, it gets pretty much everywhere you can imagine until you get the flow rate just right. The theory is that the oil is applied at the bottom of the sprocket and then centrifugal force pulls it through the chain and gradually flings it into your chain guard along with any grit and rubbish off the road.
All I can say is after a bit of fettling of flow rate, mine seems to keep the whole chain slippery and fairly clean without coating the entire rear end of the bike in oil. Let's face it, you're only really oiling the o/x rings inside the side plates and the oil definitely finds both of those easily enough.
Be prepared to whip your chain guard off every now and again though to wipe away the thick gummy mix of oil and road dirt from the underside.

Oop North John:
I've only ever had the single nozzle ones (Scottoiler and TUTORO) and like Rixington43 said, it seems to lubricate everything quite nicely.

Brockett:
Try it as designed first. IMHO the most important point is fixing the 'end feed outlet' so that is does not get caught in the sprocket or chain. I was surprised at the amount of flex that can be generated in that area.

Ianmc:
Don’t underestimate the cheapest oiler on the market,the “Loobman” it comes with a twin oil feed as standard and the whole kit is cheaper than the Scottoiler twin nozzle alone.It’s manually operated so you only operate the oiler as and when required.I have had one for about 4yrs.now and have just removed an old Scottoiler and fitted a Loobman that came off my old bike. Note: for anyone that wants to convert to a twin nozzle,Loobman will sell you a twin nozzle kit for only a few quid,UK made and in the post same day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version