Author Topic: Tents  (Read 13021 times)

Offline John

Re: Tents
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 13:47:34 »
I just love the challenge of making myself comfortable in a strange environment. If I had the courage, (and no midgies), to use just a poncho, bungees, roll mat and doss bag, a la Army, I would. So I've gone from a Wild Country, (as was), Mountain Quasar to a North Ridge, (Go outdoors), Col. I then added a Vango Adventure Tarp and a cheap wind shelter. All weighs about the same as the Quasar but very versatile. The tent can be up in under 5 minutes and down also in under 5. Not a whole heap of room in the tent, in fact bugger all but very cosy.
It's better to regret something you've done, than something you haven't done.

Offline Little Rat

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 21:18:03 »
New for 2015 a cosy home for you and your bike if you're not too worried about price.

The Atacama Expedition Tent
http://www.redverz.com/

Offline MartinW

• Administrator
  • Bike: DL650 K4 Blue
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 21:22:09 »
Haven't you been bought up to sleep in a van? It's the future  :)
Tall, Dark and Handsome (In 1987) - Just tall now !!

Chief Stasi

Offline Playsatan

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2014, 21:54:44 »
Quote from: "Little Rat"
New for 2015 a cosy home for you and your bike if you're not too worried about price.
The Atacama Expedition Tent http://www.redverz.com/
Not as worried about the price as the bike falling onto me in the middle of the night.

Offline yosemite

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 16:44:49 »
Be more worried about knocking bike over when trying to get out for a pee in middle of night

Offline Gassoon

• Quotes Museum Curator & Moderator
  • Bike: DL650X L7
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2014, 09:50:07 »
Was Vango omega 350 for me, very light, packs up small, waterproof even the groundsheet in mine. I always use a tarp underneath (just make sure it doesn't protrude past the tent and collect water !).

Started using a Khyam easy-up tent, longer and weighs more, but goes great over the backseat and panniers.

I originally wanted a 'Slumit' easy tent, but they had gone out of business. I see they are back in business now!

http://www.slumit.co.uk/
"I am a dignified citizen of the area, not a fox-faced vagabond in an over-fancy hat!"

Work Experience Stasi

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2015, 07:41:38 »
Bringing this thread back.

Just been to Go Outdoors and they still had the Vango Turini 200 there on offer for £187.47.
They've discontinued it, but basically they have changed the name and colour and hiking the price up again, so I though I'd grab one before the new one comes out.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-turini-200-touring-tent-p290272

Haven't set it up yet but will be giving it a go in the garden before too long.

And as all of you may have guessed, I don't give a crap if the bike gets dirty outside or gets rained on, the 'garage' bit is to sit in if the weather turns bad and storage of all the bike gear.  :neen:

I bought it as we've got a Vango Spirit 200+ (also renamed) but always found it cramped for two with all the luggage and bike gear. You can't stand up in it, so it's getting dressed lying down. The mrs can kneel or sit cross legged but I can't. We're still going to use this tent and it packs very small for how big the tent is when pitched, so will fit in the top box.

But this year Jen WILL be doing her test and getting a bigger bike, and most of the times we go away together camping we go to West Wales and she goes on her bike anyway- So the rear seat can be used for the tent.

I've had Vango tents before and never had issues with the tent, my pitching has been to blame on a few occasions where the porch ground sheet was left poking out filled with water when it rained over night. (I do tend to use a £2 tarp not the correct footprint/groundsheet, so not a flaw in tent design)
My older tents (Various high street camping names, Eurohike ect) have been tried this year and all found lacking compared to the Vango Spirit which has been used more times but over a shorter time.
So I'd pay the money and Buy Vango again, and have done.  :grin:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Jacko

• Bike: DL650 L2
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2015, 18:54:31 »
Nice tent mate, still not cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

Offline mr_diver

• Ride Coordinator
  • The Rantings of a Crazed Lunatic
  • Bike: 'onda Varadero XL1000v9, 'onda CX500ec '83, GSX14 '06, DL650 K6 (Blue) R.I.P,
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2015, 19:08:14 »
yeah the Spirit was around £250 when I bought it a few years ago :crazy:

I like tents  :shy:  I'm a bit like Fat Rat and bikes, just with camping gear.

But you'll all be wanting to share the new one when I hang the disco ball and get the tunes going   :neen:

Ride Coordinator

Offline Locky

• Bike: Triumph Tiger 800xc & Yamaha TTR250
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2015, 19:17:21 »
Bring the big tent to Marlborough later in the year Diver and we'll have a drinking party in it  :obscene-drinkingchug:
Shame you got rid of that old stove, I loved watching you firing it up, should have video'd it :)

Offline Høgfeldt

• Bike: DL650A L6
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 21:21:28 »
I´ve got a Vango Halo 200, easy to set up. http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/2-person-tent/118-halo-200.html
Best regards
Jan Høgfeldt

Over the clouds, the sun is always shining.

Offline i650

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 11:30:07 »
As requested, an image of camping gear packed away. Vango Tempest 300 plus plastic footprint, Helinox chair and Therm-a-rest ultralite cot. I've shown the cot leg semi assembled. The legs will fit into the bag semi assembled which reduces the assembly time to 3 minutes. This all fits into a Kappa/Givi 52 ltr top box external dimensions W57 D39 H31 cms. The jury is out on the cot. I got mine from Go Outdoors on special offer but when I last looked they no longer stock it so maybe there have been issues. Helinox do a bed which is bigger, heavier and even more expensive.

I use Givi 36 ltr panniers giving loads of room for sleeping bag, clothes and towels etc.
If I have company I have a bigger, Blacks Stormshield Exocet tent which fits into my Aldi/Lidl Special Buy tank bag except for the poles which for safety go into the top box.

Looking forward to next season,
Best wishes,
Ian H

Offline highland strom

• Bike: Suzuki Sv K2 2003.
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 19:37:23 »
Hello all, I am looking to upgrade from my Hello gear atom 3 which has been a decent tent over the past couple of years to something slightly bigger ie 4 person tent but still of the tunnel design I've cut it down to 2 tents the 1st being vango beta 450xl or the Kampa mersey 4 I really do like the features on the kampa 3 doors 1 to the front & 2 to the sides with also have mosquit nets attached it also has a bathtub style porthole groundsheet which just clips in by toggles I also like the fitted sleeves on the outside of the inner bedroom handy for storing kit. It also has a higher weatherproof rating than the vango the vango being 3000 compared to 4000 for the kampa it also has large windows to the porch area with curtains attached for privacy it is also around £30 cheaper than the vango coming in at £109 has anyone got this tent so they could give me their views on it it seams to be a very well equipped top spec tent for the money cheers colin

Offline NomadicBootneck

• www.RMA-Riders.uk
  • Bike: DL1000A V-Strom
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 10:47:08 »
http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-xl ... e=78310716

Simple, light, small, easily erected  :shock: and cheap, not the roomiest of tents (it is only for sleeping in) but add a tarp/army basha for cooking under and a bit of storage and this combination will leave more room on the bike for bottles of wine, cheese, ham and baguettes on foreign adventures pitched overlooking some stunning scenery watching the world go by and sun go down, what more would you want?  :thumb: